The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good old dad (insurance related)

Jay

My car had it's first MOT today, was always going to fail as it's not been converted yet, but we did it to see if there was anything major to be done.

Mechanically it's sound, engines fine, emissions are fine, suspension/brakes are fine, it failed on the jap-spec related stuff (no foglight, indicators etc) and also failed on two rear tires, and various front light failures, which seem to be related to a particular plug or fuse, so i'm not worried. All in all very happy!

So I got onto the dreaded insurance and took up a policy with the evil Elephant. Before people start (I'm looking at you Neil! ;)) I am fully aware of their hesitancy to pay out, and will be studying the cover sheet for errors as soon as it gets here. Here's how it panned out in the end.

My details are:

22, male, company director, 3 ncb, 1 fault claim 4 years ago, 1 SP60 4 years ago

Car details are:

1993 Supra TT genuine TRD3000GT, 38k miles, locked garage, nice area (northants),

Declared mods:

Full non-standard body-kit, alloys, lowered, exhaust, induction kit

Adrian Flux

£2,600 (£850 excess)

Fully Comp

Pro's: Know their mods and modded cars

Con's: Only insured up to a value of £10k due to age, not allowed Dump Valve

4YoungDrivers.com

£2,900 (£1,550 excess)!!

Fully Comp

Pro's: Mods were ok'ish, no limit on value

Con's: Not allowed Dump Valve, and stupid stupid stupid excess

4YoungDrivers.com

£2,500 (no excess)

3rd Party

Pro's: Any mods I want, no restrictions

Con's: 3rd party only

Footman James

£4,858 (£850 excess)

Fully Comp

Pro's: Happy with all mods, happy to insure

Con's: Rediculous quote and excess

Elephant.co.uk

£2,090 (£500 excess)

Fully Comp

Pro's: Highstreet insurer happy to insure

Con's: Not allowed Dump Valve, heard bad things about them, no knowledge of TRD 3000GT so will affect total loss repayment

Interestingly, adding my dad (45, no accidents/claims) reduced my premium in every case, and in elephants case by over £200!!

Please note this is a list of EVERYONE I could get to insure me, not just the 'pick' of the bunch - it's a pathetic state of affairs and has taken me over a month to verify correctly.

All I can say to anyone under 25 looking to insure a jap-spec Supra that they Have not already had insurance on will need to really really want it! I've heard others are honouring renewals though.

So I now need to be a very very careful chap until i'm 25 before I can get some proper value cover, and try to avoid total loss wherever possible. Helps that my mate runs a bodyshop it will always go to if needed, so light-medium repairs / scrapes wont be an issue.

Hope you find this useful.

J

God iam glad not under 25:p

Thats a good one about putting the old duffers on your insurance i did that when i was about 22 and had a honda accord type r putting him on reduced it to £1200.

I take it you tried Norwich Union?????

iAM with them 25 5 yncb mods decleare exhaust induction system wheels insured to value of £2500 etc etc £940:)

Before the import scare I paid 800quid to insure my first Supra, a 93 TT Targa. That was fully comp and I was 23 at the time. A year later that had rocketed to over 2K for no other reason than it was an import :mad: Add modifications and you're like a leper to insurance companies!

Six years later and import owners are still paying well over the odds, regardless of the fact that you can buy all the parts from your local Toyota dealer, it's a joke.

It might be an idea to have an engineers report done too and send that to your insurers so they have full written details of the modifications.

I just got my renewal in....

Last year was £2300

This year I'm 23 with 2 years no claims.

Car is Jpec TT 6 speed, with minor mods (bumper, exhaust, rltc, alloys).

The quote this year... £850 :)

Cos the car is a 94 its now 10 years old, so they're moving me to a classic car policy.

Happy ain't the word :D

Geordie - what car? TT import? Was yours a renewal?

I tried to look at the classic car style policies as mine is 11 years old but had the same age discrimination rubbish with everyone i've spoken to.

My postcode is wicked, my parents live in a snobby no-crime area...so it's not that.

Guest James B

I'm actually going through the whole cari insurance rigmarole at the moment.

I'm 23, 1yr NCB (3yrs Company Car), Company Director and live in Aberdeen.

I'm trying to insure a '94 Supra 3.0 N/A Manual with aftermarket alloys and an exhaust. i'm also putting my g/f on the policy. She's 24 and is an accountant. She's got her own car and has 2 yrs no claims. The max mileage will be 6000 and it's Social only. Fully Comp cover required. Car is garaged when not being used.

So far i've not been able to get a quote from anyone other than Elephant who came back with £504.20

I thought that was superb so called them to confirm the car. They had quoted for a Twin Turbo! I assumed it would be cheaper still to ask for the quote on the N/A, but no! As it's not listed on their site they can't insure it! I may just look for a TT just to take advantage of that policy!

AArgh Insurance for us youngsters can be a pain sometimes!

James

Originally posted by James B

I'm actually going through the whole cari insurance rigmarole at the moment.

I'm 23, 1yr NCB (3yrs Company Car), Company Director and live in Aberdeen.

I'm trying to insure a '94 Supra 3.0 N/A Manual with aftermarket alloys and an exhaust. i'm also putting my g/f on the policy. She's 24 and is an accountant. She's got her own car and has 2 yrs no claims. The max mileage will be 6000 and it's Social only. Fully Comp cover required. Car is garaged when not being used.

So far i've not been able to get a quote from anyone other than Elephant who came back with £504.20

I thought that was superb so called them to confirm the car. They had quoted for a Twin Turbo! I assumed it would be cheaper still to ask for the quote on the N/A, but no! As it's not listed on their site they can't insure it! I may just look for a TT just to take advantage of that policy!

AArgh Insurance for us youngsters can be a pain sometimes!

James

James, that will be for a UK spec car. There was never a UK spec NA, hence why it's not on their list. They will insure imports but the price hike is more than double. :baa: