The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Word of warning

hogmaw

The car has been great as of late, as always, a couple of new rear Michelin Pilot Sports last week, all good. But just recently I thought something was up, the car feeling a bit wobbly, and on hard braking or when the 2nd turbo came on, it would veer to the left suddenly. Not ideal when at speed.

I was going ask on the forum what it could be, but this morning I went to check the front tyre pressures seeing as I hadn't done it in a while. Front passenger was only 25psi, so perhaps that was it? No need to check the rears, as they had only been replace last week, but I thought I would anyway. So imagine my surprise when the rear passenger side was only 12psi:blink:! I guess the front and rear tyres being soft explains why the car would veer to the left.

So the warning is to check your tyre pressures, even when new tyres have just been fitted!!!

Good that you pointed this out, even more critical in the cold weather.

Like Havard I have a digital gauge in the car which I use to check air pressure, cost only £5 from Asda! :D

Thing is though, I have noticed all petrol pumps now charge 50p to top up air!

It used to be free, then it was 20p in some places and now everywhere it is 50p.

I have to say that my tyresure TPMS is a Godsend, it constantly monitors the tyre pressures (after the ignition has switched on) and informs me of all four tyre pressures, It was a costly investment, and spent a long time waiting to be fitted due to some tyre fitters flatly refusing to do so, but it has probably paid for itself already, by having spotted a slow puncture, which actually took the tyre place a while to find as it was that small.

I would definitely recommend it - I know a lot of other members already use it.

Mike

Like Havard I have a digital gauge in the car which I use to check air pressure, cost only £5 from Asda! :D

It used to be free, then it was 20p in some places and now everywhere it is 50p.

50p to blow your tyres up?

Jesus. You can get a compressor for your lighter socket for a tenner. They are a bit slow but I use mine every week. Luckily with my job I have a 240v compressor that can blow a tyre up in about 10 seconds.

Either way, never gamble with tyres.

H.

50p to blow your tyres up?

Jesus. You can get a compressor for your lighter socket for a tenner. They are a bit slow but I use mine every week. Luckily with my job I have a 240v compressor that can blow a tyre up in about 10 seconds.

Either way, never gamble with tyres.

H.

All the ones around in London are 50p and I prefer the digital gauge ones too.

So each top I just top up it costs me 50p, so in a month I could spent £5 a month on tyre pressures, I'll look into it as I got one but it dreadfully slow.

Thats because your down south where everything is a rip off :D

Sainsburys near me, allow you to check and fill for free - omg free air!

..i could bottle some and send it down your way if you cover postage? :D

All the ones around in London are 50p and I prefer the digital gauge ones too.

So each top I just top up it costs me 50p, so in a month I could spent £5 a month on tyre pressures, I'll look into it as I got one but it dreadfully slow.

I got one from Tesco about a year ago and it was £12.99. It is painfully slow but it has got me out of jail a couple of times already. It probably takes around 5 mins to put around 20psi into a tyre.

H.

My local garage is free and its very accurate too as i always check mine with my

Snap On gauge.

I check mine once a week and do a visual everytime i get in it.

Hard to believe people dont bother doing this seeing how costly tyres are these days let alone

the differance it makes to how your car behaves

I use one of these, and bought it for about £15:

http://www.tyresonline.net/images/uploads/RAC600.jpg

It's just great, and doesn't take long at all to inflate the tyres to your preferred preset pressure.

It's small enough to leave in it's bag in the boot, so always there for maintenance, etc.

TonyTT has the exact same problem, when he let off the Gas after accelerating hard the car wanting to mount pavements, he had the Garage check things but couldn't trace the problem, i said check your wheel nuts and tyre pressure, turns out his tyre pressure was just as low as yours needless to say he got some ribbing over that. :D

I use one of these, and bought it for about £15:

http://www.tyresonline.net/images/uploads/RAC600.jpg

It's just great, and doesn't take long at all to inflate the tyres to your preferred preset pressure.

It's small enough to leave in it's bag in the boot, so always there for maintenance, etc.

i have one very similar, a very uselful bit of kit, would advise anyone to invest.

I took a friends bmw 740 for a new set of rear tyres recently. They asked me what i wanted the pressure set to, i said 34 will be fine. He fits them, gave me the keys and said he set the rear pressure to 50!! I asked why the hell did he do that, he said because its a sports car, i told him its a luxury saloon and i'll sort it out when i get home. Driving the thing home even at 30mph was the scariest drive ever, whole car felt like it was twisting on the bends, it was lethal.