The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No Air Filter - More Power?

Noz

A small amount, but at big cost if your engine ingests the wrong thing.

Exactly this, if you have ever looked at an old air filter they are full of dirt and rubbish. If you remove the filter I think in the long run it will detremental to the engines health.

also its not exactly going to be a cold air you would be getting, i would of thought the gains would soon disapere with a hard run and raised temps

Depends where you put the trumpet. If you are super brave you could put it at the front of the car, that way you would be getting ram air, no restriction from any filter and the coldest air available.

I reckon you could time the life of the turbo/engine with a stopwatch in that case though.

Purely theoretically you would make more power. Anything that lowers the restriction is going to increase the top end power. This is the reason lighter internals and pulleys can gain you HP. As stated you will kill your turbos/engine though.

I was just considering this for the dyno run after mapping, just as a final power run to try and make sure I top the 400bhp mark. Its a 500 mile round trip to the dyno for me, and the whole aim was to reach that figure.

The reason for setting myself this value, was so when I reached it, I was concentrate on other things such as body work and interior, I don't want to forever be chasing power and this is the only way, to set myself a goal and to reach it.

I would hope to be hitting 400hp with a boost controller anyway, but I want to give myself every chance of that. I know I'll be running on slightly less with a filter with it mapped as such.

I wouldn't bother personally, absolutely pointless IMO.

If you want 400hp and you hit 395 just give it a smidge more boost. The boost level that will blow your engine is by no means an exact science. The difference between 0.9 and 0.92 isn't going to make any odds as noone runs their car that close to the edge.

mkivsupra.net - Thriving on speculation since 2001

Running without a filter is going to be death to your turbos. Those with a trumpet regard the turbo as a consumable item and so ingesting a stone wont worry them. For mere mortals the loss of turbos is a killer.

What about the rest of your engine ? running without a filter is pretty daft if you ask me as your

just asking for trouble and killing a turbo wont be the end of your problems

mkivsupra.net - Thriving on speculation since 2001

Running without a filter is going to be death to your turbos. Those with a trumpet regard the turbo as a consumable item and so ingesting a stone wont worry them. For mere mortals the loss of turbos is a killer.

I have a trumpet and dont think that at all, mine is for shows only, i wouldnt run the turbo without a filter when driving ect....

it makes what it makes why try and cheat it, so you can make 400 on they dyno but only have 395 on the road its only 5bhp

Because it's a power acheivement for my engine, I'm not going to gloat I pushed an extra few HP when I didn't even run an air filter, it's just nice to know I've pushed that on the dyno with a trumpet that I will use as a show peice when I get my engine looking nice.

I don't want to speculate the maximum power I could have, I'd rather just know on the dyno the max run was ###, typically on the road I run ###. If you didn't print the run, the power never happened.

It's about reaching as high as possible as I know I won't be doing many more power modifications. I'd like to be as happy as possible with my last couple of runs, its a personal acheivement with the modifications I've done so far, it's not a power race or pub talk figures. It's purely to get as much as possible for my own personal benifit. I've never owned a car with such power, so I'd like as much as possible for my print out on my wall at home before I start saving for a house. Every little helps. :D

And 5hp means alot when you've spent alot of cash trying to hit a target. Tell that to the guy who had 995bhp, to me its the same thing, a goal is a goal, I want to reach it.

i see your point tell the dyno operator what your goal is and if it was only 5 bhp out in sure they might adjust the dyno to suit."joke but does happen"

but i would think you get over 10bhp differance from a cold misty day to a 30c summers day, so get it on the dyno while its still cold for a good result, octaine booster (race fuel).

you could always add NOZ,"NOZ":eyebrows: