The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Custom Exhaust (HKS Ti Replica) ?

DaveD

Well I already have the 3" decat pipe + midpipe (with restrictor ring between them). It's for my BPU TT6 Supra.

I was just looking to purchase a 3" catback but that doesn't overly excite me.

Instead I want a badass 4" exhaust system.

I have this mate over here in this shop which works on performance cars. He should be able to get the job done.

I am here on contract in Canada by the way I do not reside in the UK. I am stuck with buying whatever I could here.

I was considering boostlogic but my dream exhaust would be HKS Ti sound.

So I am just looking to pick up some stainless steel 4" piping.

Also I will order a light weight muffler which has a 4" connection, which can join together with the tubing.

I could esentially get any muffler which is 4" out and 4" in... but they aren't that easy to find. The Burns (video posted bellow) will have a sick exhaust note though.

So do you guys think making a custom exaust is really that difficult or should be pretty straight forward?

To get the same dimensions as the HKS Ti it just seems like the piping needs a couple bends and few spots fabbed up and should be good to go?

I was told as long as it has the same bends and dimensions I should get the sound of the HKS Ti as a result.

For example in the United States a couple years ago they sold this HKS Ti replica. It was all stainless steel so it didn't cost much to make. It was just a clone of the real HKS Ti. They were selling for only $250-$500 USD.

Here is a sound clip:

[video=youtube;ZqTbLm7C-VE]

Also here is a video with the burns muffler. This is a 3" exhaust in this video.

[video=youtube;k0W_S-PiVsc]

Edited by DaveD (see edit history)

Well the muffler I posted. It's a light weight stainless steel race muffler. It has 4" intake and 4" output at the tip. The body is 5.5" I think. Same dimensions as the real thing. I guess maybe I can just get the tip welded longer.

As far as I know the real HKS Ti piping is stainless steal and the muffler is just titanium.

Well the muffler I posted. It's a light weight stainless steel race muffler. It has 4" intake and 4" output at the tip. The body is 5.5" I think. Same dimensions as the real thing. I guess maybe I can just get the tip welded longer.

As far as I know the real HKS Ti piping is stainless steal and the muffler is just titanium.

Yup that's right.

I might be wrong, as I don't know much about mufflers, but I doubt you will get a replicated sound of an HKS with dimensions only. If it is the sound that is important to you then I would just get the real thing.

Hi David,

Check out my range of exhausts here http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-supra-exhausts-decats-exhausts-c-42_47_870_871.html I'm also about to release a 4" single box stainless steel version which is very similar to the HKS Ti....

That's a very nice looking exhaust. Unfortunatley a bit out of my price range at the moment. Especially with shipping overseas.

Is buying the muffler seperatley an option?

cheers

Hi there, maybe something to look at when you're going for an custom 4'' exhaust.

If you look at the first video you see the space between rear bumper and the canister's end tip,

In the 2nd clip there's almost no space between rear bumper and end tip, this looks so much nicer, and also gives you a little bit more ground clearance.

Did some sort of the same with my hks titanium racing, also got rid of the v-band clamps which were heavier then flanges,

I got the canister in place first then added the piping in between when fit perfectly get it welded,

And here is an picture that shows the rear from a supra with an exhaust fitted but not proper...............

6-800.jpg

One thing worth considering when choosing which exhaust design to go for and what diameter piping to choose is ground clearance. A straight design 4" exhaust that doesn't follow the curved recess the stock exhaust follows underneath the car can be a real PITA if your car is also lowered and you have to negotiate speed bumps. Even more of a problem with thin walled titanium piping which is prone to cracking if bashed.

hmmmm what diameter (2.5 or 3) is the hks silent hi power exhaust system?? this will be fine for BPU?

HKS sell 2 versions of the Silent Hi Power Exhaust; the 2JZ-GE version uses 75mm/2.95" piping, the 2JZ-GTE version uses 95mm/3.7" piping, the design of both exhausts follows the curvature of the stock exhaust so ground clearance should be okay. Either version will be fine at BPU power levels.