The mkiv Supra Owners Club

identify loud noise

Guest witch636

Guest witch636

hi, every so often i am experiencing a very loud noise for about 10 seconds, it sounds a bit like when you run your finger around the top of a wine glass. its not a constant noise and doesnt happen every single time the car is used but when it does happen it sounds awful. is it possible it could have something to do with brake pads even though they were changed not too long ago. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i have no clue

funny enough this is happening to me which i think its the front driverside brake pads may just need copper greased up..... also it screeches then when I brake it screeches again and stops so defo brake related

when car gets new exhaust system fitted there having a look for me but will let you kno if its that sure it is thow!

Guest witch636

hi, ive had the same was suggested to me. unfortunately i dont know much about mechanical stuff and have never changed the pads or anything else myself so im not too sure exactly where i should be putting the copper grease

Guest witch636

oh thanks for the welcome, im not too sure how to use this site which is why i never have but must be doing something right to get a reply:)

Guest witch636

thanks, yes im sure your right. ive always been lucky to have someone help in the past but it would be good to try and sort the problem myself if possible and try to learn, i dont have the confidence completely by myself so though it would do no harm to ask and see

Maybe a local member with a good enough knowledge could help you with this then.

It might be a bit more involved than just putting some copper slip on the pads etc though

so worth getting them checked over properly, i'd be inclined to have all four calipers

looked at closely as their showing their age now.

Unless they've been rebuilt they could be in need of stripping and refurbing or even

replacing.

Im also thinking this could be a wheel bearing on its way out so i'd recommend you get it checked asap.

Can you jack the car up as though your changing a wheel ? if so jack up the wheel causing the noise

then hold the wheel at 9 and 3 (clock face) and try to rock the wheel and feel for any play, do the same

at 12 and 6, then spin the wheel by hand and listen for noise from the center area where the wheel nuts

are