The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Had a knock on the door from the police about my car...

Guigsy

So I'm at work and I'm looking forward to leaving, going to a doctors appointment and then getting home to check on my dog who is recovering from surgery.

Then my wife calls me. "get home now the police are going to tow your car if it's not moved in 40 mins".

So after a bit of wtf. I get the last 30 mins off and head home.

My driveway is a decent size. I've had 6 cars on it (just).

At the moment my uk car is infront of the garage. My White single is parked behind it. It's not normally parked there but as I needed to unload the dog from the boot of the other car on Saturday I parked it behind the uk spec so I could get our legnum close to the door.

So I'm thinking, I know the handbrake isn't great. And it was on the pavement a bit. maybe it's just rolled back a bit. But i usualy leave it in gear. Strange. No big deal!

Now... I live down the end of a quiet cul-de-sac. Not a through road or anything. iv hapily jacked up the car and changed both rear wheels in the middle of the road without seeing a person or another car.

Anyway. I arrive home. It's all parked up the same as it was at lunch time. I go in the house. Find out what is going on from my wife. Which is what she said above. I gotta move my car. They are coming back at 5:45 to check. Apparently someone has complained over the past few days there is no access to the road/ pavement. It's ridiculous but I was parked on the curb. Openly admit that. But still peeved off.

Called the doctors and there recorded message system refused to let me cancel the appointment so I just didn't turn up. Anger mounting.

Went outside. And the lad next door was messing with his little punto. He was chatting to his brother and looking at me taking pictures out in the street. They had a call from the cops too. As did the neighbours next to them. Nobody else on the street just us 3. Apparently the lad said it was because someone couldn't get buggy access. (to be honest if you can't navigate your buggy arround some cars on the pavement on a quiet dead end road you shouldn't be allowed to breed...) he also thinks it's a woman down the road he had a run in with because he had his music on too loud while he was washing his car. Apparently she or her husband is CID...

So anyway i went to move the car. Which wouldn't start. It's got a brand new battery and I drove the car fine on Friday. I find the drivers side door on the latch. And unlocked. Alarm wouldn't work. Car wouldn't start. I must not have closed it properly and the indoor light killed the battery I assume! Frustration setting in.

Luckily I had just ordered a new battery for my uk spec. So whipped that out but the terminals were smaller. Ready to scream. So spent a while messing arround. Finally moved it. Parked all the cars in the usual positions (supras next to eachother and the legnum behind. Still overlapping the curb a bit.)

So if that's true this woman has wasted 2 policemans time (she could have done the neighbourly thing and asked, it's not a bad neighbourhood at all).

Caused me to have to leave work early. Thankfully I have some good bosses

Miss my yearly medication review at the doctors.

I know it's my fault for parking on the curb. But it's a bit petty don't you think. Anyone else had similar things happen? I'm pretty sure the police have better things to do. They were propper coppers not those plastic ones ;)

http://img.tapatalk.com/521d2f07-3ac2-44c6.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/521d2f07-3adb-63bd.jpg

Here is the street I live on. You can tell it's not a busy neighbourhood.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so your car is normally not parked on the pavement, it just happened to slide backwards, correct?

Anyway. I arrive home. It's all parked up the same as it was at lunch time.

I think it's just the fact that you blocked the path totally which she obviously didn't like, it didn't really come into it that she could easily get past on the quiet road.

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

The parkings definately not on, but as you said the neighbour could have popped over instead of getting the police involved straight away.

At least you can acknowledge what you've done wrong, this thread reminded me of the one where a club member was parking a huge sign written van in front of someone else's house and didn't see what the problem was. :D

i know it shouldnt be parked there. not saying that i havent done anything wrong. and its not how i normaly park. it was a case of park it like that or actualy cause a bigger obstruction in some other way.

and dont get me wrong. i dont make a habit of parking on pavements. i avoid it and wouldnt do it down to highstreet etc. the only reason ive done it in this case is if you look at the second picture... you see the street light, thats where the road ends. once you have gone past my driveway there is another driveway and thats it. i cant see a reason why you would ever want to walk down there. .

it had been parked there since saturday night because we had to unload the dog. anyone in the street knows its also not how its usualy parked.

i didnt get chance to move it on sunday and i didnt imagine it would be a big problem. couldnt do it this morning as i didnt want to wake the street up with the exhaust. i was actualy going to do it tonight because it is badly parked. more for the reason i dont want anyone hitting it by accident!

ironicly the house next door have a transit tipper and 3 other cars. that they cant park on the driveway without parking slightly on the curb (you can see one in the pics). So they have had to move them down the street and park on the road oposite where the woman lives. which has made me lol. perfectly legal to park there. road is wide enough and there are no parking restrictions. so now instead of someones hedge she is looking at a mucky tarmac transit towing a generator and another car :p

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

I was parked part on the kerb in town, a few years back, and some jobsworth traffic warden was giving it Royal over how a blind person could walk into it. It didn't seem to help when I asked if he was going to get the trees on the verge cut down, the road signs removed and the wheelie bins pushed back up peoples drives,in case said blind person walked into those, too.

I think you either need less vehicles or a bigger driveway :)

Tough one this. By parking legally on your drive you end up obstructing the pavement. Up around our way, most cars are half on the pavement and half on the street as the streets are not wide enough to get two abreast. We recently went down to Stevenage and parked half and half on our friends estate and there was uproar from the neighbours and a man drving round in a white van issuing tickets.

I would say Guigs that in reality you are not doing a great deal wrong but in the eyes of the law and the petty, you are guilty and therefore lower than a paedo..!!

How many people actually walk past your drive per day? I live in a cul de sac with 10 houses and no one ever walks along the pavement outside our house, not even the postie. I imagine if I left the car with it's arse hanging off the drive every night it wouldn't take long before someone in our street/gold fish bowl said or did something.

H.

i have to be honest and i have to say i have never seen anyone that i can recall walk past the bottom of the drive. The postie doesnt he just walks over the lawn :p. The only person is someone who lives at the end houses when they walk the dog. but they walk on the other side of the road even why my car isnt there.

i was going to open the door to the police and fall on the floor with my arms and feet out screaming "dont taze me bro" but i dont think they would have found it funny...

Tbh it is awful parking, I'll give you a bit as you don't norm park like it but after you unloaded the dogs you could of gone and move them.

Tbh tho the police prob where called about people in general parking badly and you happened to have your car like that when they came to look.

I know where you are coming from though, your aware that it is bad parking but it is worth full time police officers coming out and threatening you to move it? Like you said, it has been like that 24 hours and not days or weeks on end, think of the cost for full time police officers coming out and then revisiting again, most likely have to do paper work for it too.

What worries me the most is, what will she do when she gets to the Astra on the pavement?

Go back, call police, wait... :D

You have got yourself into a Legal pickle there however as mentioned the police DO have the power to remove your vehicle or Fine you In a case like yours, for once they appear to have been lenient consider yourself lucky. Around Durham there is a strict no Excuse policy taken by Police you obstruct without good reason or as a matter of extenuating circumstances you get a fine hook line and sinker.

On a lighter note I love that White Supra

In my area there was a stolen car abandoned just off of a busy road-about, not far from the city centre. It was there for way more than a day before it got towed away. Funny how thousands and thousands of people pass through there everyday and police couldn't move it. Yet they feel 1 car down a quiet cul de sac is a problem. Even though you weren't parked right, I'm sure the police have bigger fish to fry.