The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number plate position on front bumper (legal or not)

Suprakeith

I would say no as it can't be seen clearly by head on speed cameras:blink:

That's what an officer of the law once told me and my response was what makes you think I want to be detected by speed cameras:search:

But anyways I would say no but if the other person has been getting away with it then there is no reason why you shouldn't:)

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)

Sadly the sticker number plates are illegal as well:

The following restrictions apply to registration plates:

All number plates from September 1, 2001 must display the new mandatory font and comply with British standards in relation to size, font and background.

Black number plates with silver or white numbers or letters may only be displayed on vehicles manufactured or registered before January 1, 1973.

Self adhesive number plates are illegal (i.e. plates stuck on the bonnet or sticker style plates.)

Number plates where screw heads are positioned to change the appearance of a letter or number are illegal.

Single line number plates on motorcycles are illegal.

Foreign style, British number plates are illegal.

If a number plate is cracked or broken and the damage makes the number difficult to read then an offence is committed.

More information is available from the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Authority (see link below).

Mandatory Character Font

From 1st September 2001 all new number plates must display the new mandatory (compulsory) font. This, combined with the new style format registration mark is designed to make number plates clearer and easier to remember.

Number plates fitted before 1st September 2001 need not be changed provided the character font used is substantially the same as the new font.

Number plates must be replaced if they have been customised with:-

Stylised letters and/or figures such as italics

Number plate fixing bolts that alter the appearance of the letters and/or numbers

They dont make it easy when trying to style your car do they :)

does anyone have any ideas where would be best place to fit number to that front bumper without ruining the airflow to much as am styling the car this year and then next year want to drop inn TT lump and wanted my front month intercooler and radiator to get as much air flow as possible am open to any sensible suggestions as do really like that front bumper

Number plate only has to be vertical if reasonably possible

My number plate is at 45 degree angle and can not be seen by any camera but and is very hard to see but is perfectly legal

But as said that plate is illegal

A number plate has to be read from 20 to 25 metres depending on the letters for style of number plate at a 45 degree angle from either side of the car

Thanx very much i do like that idea,if you dont mind me asking how did you fit your plate like that? i was just thinking of using the standard number plate backing from standard bumper and fitting in same place but that looks sweet and is bonus that it legal as dont want the hasstle of coppers all the time

few pics of mine i used to have a sticker one never had any problems with it there prefer it now back in the bumper,

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/123mustang2009/carclean1129.jpg

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/123mustang2009/carclean1128.jpg

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/123mustang2009/carcleaning006.jpg

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/123mustang2009/kel10.jpg

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq58/123mustang2009/kel3.jpg

Number plate in window is illegal as it has to be mounted securely to the front of the vehicle

I have 2 L shaped mounting brackets fitted and then bent them back to angle is was happy

I have a copy of the exact legislation covering everything about number plates that the police gave to stop the raf police harassing me : )

I'll post it up later for you