The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon Fibre Bonnet question

Suprakeith

Hi am thinking of getting a carbon fibre bonnet for my n/a but am little unsure as have bin told that they can flex and shatter at high speed? also they fade very bad? am also bit confused as whats better a carbon bonnet with fibre glass skeleton or a pure carbon fibre bonnet?

thanx in advance for advice and information on this subject

Never heard of them shattering before but they do fade and can go a milky white colour like my carbon bootlid. I looked after mine really well to try a prevent it from fading but unfortunately still did. Full carbon is the best and lightest but also the most pricey. You can get fibreglass shell with carbon layed over it for about £500-600 for full carbon I would say maybe double that.

Is their any product to help stop them fading does anyone know? and i bin looking at a carbon fibre bonnet from knight racer.co.uk and it says its full carbon for 650, aint worried about the weight thing to much if honest just when get one want to do all i can to look after and stop it fading,if it does fade bet its expensive to have it sorted?

If you just want a stock carbon bonnet, it may be cheaper to use carbon weave and laquer the top. It looks exactly like carbon, and would save you money if you could get it done.

Unsure how you would match the rolls of weave though, as I've not seen any wide enough for a bonnet.

Nah want a TOYOTA SUPRA MKIV TOP SECRET 2 HYBRID CARBON BONNET and have seen one for 650 at knight racer.co.uk which is what will get i think just wanted to see if could protect it from fading,how long does it take to start fade then? and if it does can work be done on bonnet to bring it back up to new?

My bootlid took about a year or so. My APR GTC300 carbon wing took about 2-3 years. The only thing you can do is polish it ever time you wash it but then after a week or so they go back to being milky again. I've had enough of mine and going back to stock with an RMM spoiler. I did have a seibon carbon bonnet but lost that after about year to a slight accident. I think that didn't fade because of the way it was parked on the drive the sun was always on the back of the car more. If you don't have a garage maybe try and get a car cover and that should prevent it from fading in the sun

I wouldnt bother, the best bonnet is the stock one, most others are floppy flexy bad fitting *****

With you on this stock is a much better option to be honest I really wish I hadn't wasted my hard earned cash on carbon bonnets and bootlids plus a very expensive spoiler

The lad clearly wants one guys so lets try and be positive.

If you want one, your have to take the risk it will fade over time. You can get a cover to try and extend the life of the milkyness as it seems there are no options to prevent it... unless you carbon wrap the carbon hood when it gets milky to an un-polishable state.

The lad clearly wants one guys so lets try and be positive.

If you want one, your have to take the risk it will fade over time. You can get a cover to try and extend the life of the milkyness as it seems there are no options to prevent it... unless you carbon wrap the carbon hood when it gets milky to an un-polishable state.

I tried to positive but can't think of anything to be positive about regarding most carbon fibre products for

the custom car world.

Tell it as it is is my motto.

Well def do want a carbon bonnet love the way they look,just am stunned that in the 21st their isnt anything on the market to stop the uv rays getting through and fading it but if it does fade i guess i could always wrap the bonnet in the carbon wrap i guess it just down to luck depending on when it fades, i do wash and polish my car every weekend, perhaps their may be a wax that may help the fading its something i going to look into for sure,can i ask for the people who did get the carbon parts what products they used to try and look after it as all help is much appreciate folks

Well def do want a carbon bonnet love the way they look,just am stunned that in the 21st their isnt anything on the market to stop the uv rays getting through and fading it but if it does fade i guess i could always wrap the bonnet in the carbon wrap i guess it just down to luck depending on when it fades, i do wash and polish my car every weekend, perhaps their may be a wax that may help the fading its something i going to look into for sure,can i ask for the people who did get the carbon parts what products they used to try and look after it as all help is much appreciate folks

the polish i use on my bootlid is turtle wax nano its in a green tube. it takes the fade out of my bootlid and spoiler and makes it shine like new for a couple of weeks or 3 then goes back to fadeing again. I would invest in a good car cover it will help with keeping the uv's of it

It'd be a shame to wrap a real CF bonnet. Save some money and hassle and just wrap yours now :)