The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ecu fcd

fastcar

Ok I was chatting to a fellow member tonight in Cheltenham. He has a TT auto that is BPU running at 1.1-1.2bar nothing strange about that. But he happend to mention that he is not using a FCD and has a stock ECU. He brought one to fit but never needed to fit it. I would say that he is running what his boost gauge is saying as we did a few runs down a dual carrageway and was fairly even. Just found it odd as when i went BPU I couldn't get over 1bar before fuel cut kicked in. It's not causing any problems was just wondering why this would be or if anyone else has experience this before

There is no sign of a FCD being fitted from the out side and is certain it's a stock ECU. The car was stock when he brought it so can't see why an FCD or aftermarket ECU would have already been fitted. Both cars where fairly even in the runs so at a guess I would the boost gauge is reading true. The boost gauge was reading 0.8bar when stock so must be reading right now I would have thought:)

From the outside of the ECU do you mean?

Is it not possible that the previous owner had it at a near BPU level and just removed all those items in order to sell as stock?

There is definitely something going on, that's for sure. Either the reading is wrong, the ECU is aftermarket (hard to tell with regards to mines etc) or there is a signal fudger in the harness somewhere.

Doing a pull on a motorway is meaningless. Just because the boost is 1.2bar it doesn't take anything else into consideration, the turbos could be gassed and blowing out their behind at 1.2bar therefor not making a lot of power. However, if you know the power figure of your car and you know that it's healthy then it's a better comparison.

Yes from what he said it looks like nothing is fitted from outside but the FCD could of also been fitted in the ECU casing. My car is healthy with tubbies working as they and I would say that the other fella supra was healthy to from the way it pulled. I would have to agree with you on either an aftermarket ECU or a FCD hidden somewhere it's the only logical explanation. Just wondering if there might be another reason for it:)

Could it be fitted with one of the Turbosmart pneumatic type of FCDs? This would be in the engine bay and doesnt touch the ECU or wiring. I hadn't heard of them until very recently and although sceptical, Paul Whiffin sells them and says they are fine. I guess they work as a bleed valve and just vent to atmosphere to prevent the MAP ever seeing anything over 1 bar.

Could it be fitted with one of the Turbosmart pneumatic type of FCDs? This would be in the engine bay and doesnt touch the ECU or wiring. I hadn't heard of them until very recently and although sceptical, Paul Whiffin sells them and says they are fine. I guess they work as a bleed valve and just vent to atmosphere to prevent the MAP ever seeing anything over 1 bar.

Yes could be possible although as same as you I have never heard of this type of FCD before.