The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Right, let's be HONEST, who can drive their supra with confidence in the rain/wet?

supra_aero

I'm not talking about speeding, just even going at the speed limit on twisty country roads.

I've had 2 supras now and both are very trigger happy on the throttle in wet weather. And I am not stranger to fast cars just find the supra very bad in the wet.

Literally I struggle to shake many very average cars in wet weather for fear the back end will step out.

Is it just me or how do you guys feel? Maybe its my tyres, but I'd have thought a supra on even average tyres should be better than an average car surely.

By the way, if you've crashed a supra before you are not permitted to post here as I won't believe you :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Jazz we are in agreement that the supra is bad in the wet then :D.

It's literally tip toeing around in it to the point it's not enjoyable I find. I'd almost rather take the bus - lol.

And I'm not talking about speeding just the car is very sketchy. Maybe my alignment is out but in the dry its incredible. Tres' very confusing.

I don't enjoy taking twisty roads fast. I've lost my mate a few times before as I'm not prepared to keep up with him (he has a Punto) on twisty roads. The straights are a different matter :eyebrows:

I feel quite confident in the wet and enjoy letting the wheels slip a bit at quiet junctions, but never risk anything that could even remotely go wrong.

On decent tyres my old Supra was great in the wet, even when single turbo. You just have to drive them properly.

Hmmm, I'm going to get eagle f1's this month. I'll see if that makes a difference.

I'd love to go out with someone who can drive confidentally.

I just don't feel it in the supra. Sometimes my heart is pounding at 50 mph on twisty country roads. lol. Surely thats not normal.

I guess it depends how you drive ;).

Honestly I guess it does. I just don't trust a supra in the wet at all. Especially after seeing all these crashes regularaly posted up here.

I don't enjoy taking twisty roads fast. I've lost my mate a few times before as I'm not prepared to keep up with him (he has a Punto) on twisty roads. The straights are a different matter :eyebrows:

Exactly how I feel to be honest.

I could beat n/a supras in my old laguna easily in wet weather without hesitation every day of the week on a country road. Quite an insult to be honest. :(

Never had a problem with Eagle F1s, Toyo Proxes OR my current Flakens.

Driven in the wet without any issues with complete confidence (thanks to grip and predictable handling).

Was a bit scary last year when I was driving back from Basingstoke during a snow storm (2-3 inches of snow) - car was sliding over the snow so I could only really accelerate when in a straight line and had to be extra careful in the bends.......was fun :)

So Jazz we are in agreement that the supra is bad in the wet then :D.

You are asking the guy who drives 100 miles a year in his Supra? :D

I feel quite confident in the wet and enjoy letting the wheels slip a bit at quiet junctions, but never risk anything that could even remotely go wrong.

You can't keep up with a Punto in the twisties, WTF Josh! :blink:

I could beat n/a supras in my old laguna easily in wet weather without hesitation every day of the week on a country road. Quite an insult to be honest. :(

Well let me ask you this, if you stacked your old laguna in the wet would you be worried? That should answer your question.

With regards to handling in the wet, my was terrible until it had conti's off, Vredestein's on and the wheel alignment done.

Once it had been with his WIM, the handling was massively transform.

Though remember this, any heavy car with wide tyres is going to be trickier in the wet with quick weight shifts.

The key is being smooth.

Oh and I have crashed 8 Supra's now :D

You are asking the guy who drives 100 miles a year in his Supra? :D

You can't keep up with a Punto in the twisties, WTF Josh! :blink:

Well let me ask you this, if you stacked your old laguna in the wet would you be worried? That should answer your question.

With regards to handling in the wet, my was terrible until it had conti's off, Vredestein's on and the wheel alignment done.

Once it had been with his WIM, the handling was massively transform.

Though remember this, any heavy car with wide tyres is going to be trickier in the wet with quick weight shifts.

The key is being smooth.

Oh and I have crashed 8 Supra's now :D

Punto > Supra :(

You've crashed 8? Did you plough into a convoy or something?! :p

I have to admit,... driving the Supra in heavy rain terrifies me.

I've driven the TT in the snow (a nightmare) and experienced the NA with both extremes, remold rubbish tires and Eagle F1 Goodyears. Totally different car with the F1s.

Caught a few big skids,... but also over corrected a few too,... and its that 'unkown' factor that is always at the back of my mind. The worrying doubt.

I have to admit,... driving the Supra in heavy rain terrifies me.

I've driven the TT in the snow (a nightmare) and experienced the NA with both extremes, remold rubbish tires and Eagle F1 Goodyears. Totally different car with the F1s.

Caught a few big skids,... but also over corrected a few too,... and its that 'unkown' factor that is always at the back of my mind. The worrying doubt.

Think that is with everyone dude, being our pride and joy and that.

I tend to just squeeze my bum cheeks on the whole journey, though that can backfire when you then get a cramp in your bum cheek! :D

cant really say that i have ever had a problem in the wet. If the car feels like that i would get a decent set of tyres on and get the tracking checked. The supra will be a bit lively in the wet but shouldnt be making you feel like that at 50mph. but then it depends if your a confident driver or not. just always drive within your limits. What make of tyres do you have on your car at the moment? what suspension setup do you have? ie standard setup, lowering srings or coilovers?

To be honest, I found that my NA was twitchy in the wet and my BPU TT rather scary to drive in heavy rain.

My eyes were on stalks at one time, couldn't put any power down and she just wanted to let go... :D

The wider your tyres are, the more contact patch with the road you get but this doesn't matter in wet weather...

In the rain, I found when going round sharp bends not even very fast, the rear slips very easy and if you don't know what the hell is going on at this point...bye bye Supra :(

I have a nicely set-up BPU Auto-TT (RLTC and CW suspension set-up) and living in Scotland you kinda get used to the rain :-) and confidence comes in time and after a few scary moments. Drive the way you are comfortable, I just bought a N/A-TT with LSD and Billies and I was loving the wet weather over the last few nights, I live in the Country-side

Edited by SPG (see edit history)

Although I don't usually drive mine in the rain I feel ok with it, the real problem I find is when the roads are mostly dry but damp in patches.

I've been followed back from Cornwall a few times in damp weather by angry tw@ts flashing me cos I'm taking it slow (at 50ish) but a damp patch on a corner can be a right bugger and it aint worth taking a chance.

I used mine all year round, in the wet extra care is needed. I think its obvious that you cant throw the thing around in the wet, just have to adjust your driving style for the conditions, in the snow etc. Apart from that, you know it's gonna bite your arse off, so why push it? :)

Forgot to add - decent rubber is a must, it went from being un-driveable with the ditch finders to very good with the Bridgestones.