The mkiv Supra Owners Club

After 2 weeks in the garage it wont start ???

dive_popo

Hi so I'm getting the first problem with my supra, I'm having it for 3 years nearly and this is the first time that I'm getting any issue...

After I let it in the garage for about 2 weeks or so, I went to the garage started the car and took it to a short trip and filled some fresh fuel(about 20 miles, everything was great), then I put it back to the garage. Next day in the morning as my wife took my Peugeot I thought I would take the Supra and go shopping. When I got to the garage, turned the ignition on and it just wont start !?

So the infos I can provide :

-I can hear the fuel pump turning

-The plugs arent wet

-The SLIP CONTROL is blinking

-The battery is ok

-The starter is turning

-No fault codes

-No alarm

And the most weird thing is that when I turn off the ignition and take the key away, the fuel pump keeps turning and turning and it wont stop until I disconnect the battery :blink::blink::blink:

My supra is a BPU J-spec '95 RZ auto (euro spec fuel pump in 12v mode, IK20 nearly new spark plugs, Mine's ecu, AVCR, Fmic, Exhaust etc)

Any help will be much appreciated ;);)

Edited by dive_popo (see edit history)

Today I replacd the plugs with the old ones I had in my garage and it changed nothing...

Any advice guys ? I cant understand why the fuel pump wont stop after I turn off the ignition !? Oh and my AVCR stays ON also, it is not shutting down when I take the key off :blink:

I'd check the igniter pack first, try and borrow one from someone. Usually get damaged if the car has been jump started incorrectly.

You could also try removing the spark plugs for a few hours then re fitting them incase it has flooded (this happened to mine once, I removed the plugs, left it overnight then re fitted them, it fired up immediately the next morning).

Today I replacd the plugs with the old ones I had in my garage and it changed nothing...

Any advice guys ? I cant understand why the fuel pump wont stop after I turn off the ignition !? Oh and my AVCR stays ON also, it is not shutting down when I take the key off :blink:

Have you got a turbo timer thats trying to keep the engine running after you switched it off??

Have you wired the fuel pump in recently? (I wouldn't go jumping around to other things until you get this sorted first).

Surely the only way this would keep running is if the pump is being given a direct 12 volts from the battery, effectively by passing the ignition circuit.

Have you tried to pull/ change the fuel pump relay, perhaps this has become jammed in the 'on' position.

Even if it had become jammed a direct 12 volt feed would still need to be present to allow the pump to keep running as you describe.

Have you wired the fuel pump in recently? (I wouldn't go jumping around to other things until you get this sorted first).

Surely the only way this would keep running is if the pump is being given a direct 12 volts from the battery, effectively by passing the ignition circuit.

Have you tried to pull/ change the fuel pump relay, perhaps this has become jammed in the 'on' position.

Even if it had become jammed a direct 12 volt feed would still need to be present to allow the pump to keep running as you describe.

Not recently, it has been done about a year ago by me, and I followed this guide http://mkiv.com/techarticles/12v_mod/12v_mod.htm

And everything was great til this winter...

Yes I have tried to swap the relays round as there are 4 same relays, but it changed nothing...

Igniter ? Hmm I belive I wont easlily find one around me as there is not much Supras here...

There is no way to check if its working ? Or pull out the coilpacks and verify if the sprak plugs are working ?

Edited by dive_popo (see edit history)

Buddy have you still got the standard ECU lying around somewhere, try swapping out the mines to see if it changes anything. I had a blown fuse in my Mines ECU which still allowed the car to function but with a mysterious Miss-fire, i know its not the same issue but it would help eliminate this from the list.

Check your spark plugs, perhaps the Gapping is incorrect and check that the plugs aint soaked when checking the Coils-packs

Not recently, it has been done about a year ago by me, and I followed this guide http://mkiv.com/techarticles/12v_mod/12v_mod.htm

And everything was great til this winter...

Yes I have tried to swap the relays round as there are 4 same relays, but it changed nothing...

Igniter ? Hmm I belive I wont easlily find one around me as there is not much Supras here...

There is no way to check if its working ? Or pull out the coilpacks and verify if the sprak plugs are working ?

There probably is a way but i'm not sure how. Someone with more knowledge should be able to answer that question for you (loads of clever folk on here if you do a search and maybe PM them)?

If the car is not trying to fire at all but you can hear the fuel pump you would imagine its going to point to not getting a spark.

Have you tried turning it over a few times then immediately pulling the spark plugs to see if they are wet with fuel? if they are wet then you are getting fuel through so probably aren't getting a spark.

I'm no mechanic but I'm guessing it would mean either the igniter, the ECU, the coilpacks or the plugs are at fault.

Second hand igniters go for about £60-£100 and coilpacks are cheap enough. Seems quite expensive but it's cheaper than taking the car to a garage and even if you don't end up using them you could sell them on or keep them for spares.

Edited by tomgeer (see edit history)

Buddy have you still got the standard ECU lying around somewhere, try swapping out the mines to see if it changes anything. I had a blown fuse in my Mines ECU which still allowed the car to function but with a mysterious Miss-fire, i know its not the same issue but it would help eliminate this from the list.

Check your spark plugs, perhaps the Gapping is incorrect and check that the plugs aint soaked when checking the Coils-packs

Nope dont have the standard ecu, the car came with the Mines one :( I'll do some test today, to if its getting the spark or if the plugs are getting soaked

There probably is a way but i'm not sure how. Someone with more knowledge should be able to answer that question for you (loads of clever folk on here if you do a search and maybe PM them)?

If the car is not trying to fire at all but you can hear the fuel pump you would imagine its going to point to not getting a spark.

Have you tried turning it over a few times then immediately pulling the spark plugs to see if they are wet with fuel? if they are wet then you are getting fuel through so probably aren't getting a spark.

I'm no mechanic but I'm guessing it would mean either the igniter, the ECU, the coilpacks or the plugs are at fault.

Second hand igniters go for about £60-£100 and coilpacks are cheap enough. Seems quite expensive but it's cheaper than taking the car to a garage and even if you don't end up using them you could sell them on or keep them for spares.

Ok thanks buddy, I'll try to sort out something. I called a friend of mine he has a US Spec supra, we will try to use his coilpacks on mine, an mines on his supra. Then we will see

Thanks for your help

could it possibly be a power issue

my corsa recently, the battery was goosed, parked up for 10 mins, with light on. then tried to start it. woudnt start,

but also when you turned the ignition off,and even take the key out, all engine lights wer stuck on, and it was still trying to do something and all lights blinking.

just a thaught, but have you tried removing the battery, leave it a while, reset the ECU, and charge the battery?

could it possibly be a power issue

my corsa recently, the battery was goosed, parked up for 10 mins, with light on. then tried to start it. woudnt start,

but also when you turned the ignition off,and even take the key out, all engine lights wer stuck on, and it was still trying to do something and all lights blinking.

just a thaught, but have you tried removing the battery, leave it a while, reset the ECU, and charge the battery?

I took the battery off a week ago and as I hadn't time to go and connect it again yesterday, I'll do this today and let you know.

Thanks ;)

If you haven't changed anything then my bet is on moisture somewhere causing a short and power to the fuel pump.

H.

You were pretty close to the solution ;) So yesterday I bought a electrical connector spray (to clean all the connector in the engine bay) and I tryed to clean every single connector I see. But nothing

Then I tried to take out the spark plugs and see if there is any spark, so when I got to the car to turn the ignition on I saw this SLIP CONTROL OFF blinking and no spark ?? Wondering what happened I only tapped on the Slip control relays (in the small box near the air filter) and then tried again, I could see the spark but it disappeared !? I put all spark plugs back in and tried to start and nothing !? No spark at all !

So I took out the slip control relays and used the electrical spray cleaner and the engine started immediately !? I havent tried since yesterday, but I took the car for 20 minutes on the road and everything was great !?

So now I know what is the problem, but what is the link between the slip control relays and the ignition !?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?