The mkiv Supra Owners Club

One turbo or two?

bambisdad

Jumping right into a single turbo would be a mistake tbh

What kind of car do you want. What other cars have you owned? Rough guide...

Na supra 200bhp - not much to mod very fire gains to be made

Single Turbo kit on na 300-450 bhp ish

Twin turbo supra 320-400bhp - lots of modding potential for good money.

Single turbo kit on Twin turbo 500-1000+ bhp - lots of money to be spent doing it properly

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

You can't compare a regular TT and a single turbo conversion. A regular TT has no upgrades, where as a single conversion will be twice as powerful if not a bit more.

It's all about power delivery, and what you want. The gradual increase of each turbo in sequence, or the single boost increase from one turbo. Though you can modify the twin turbo system to enable both turbos to kick in at the same time.

Seriously big power and fast 1/4 runs have been acheived with both options.

Depends on appliaction. A big single turbo would produce more than stock twins, but big twins could produce more than a single. It's all down to each individual set up.

Could but not always. Jamie's single is more powerful than Lee's big twins. Though not much lol. It's about the delivery.

Anyway let's not confuse the poor chap with stock twins and big twins :)

Great advice. Thanks very much. I think the car for me is a TT unmolested UK example if possible. Looking for a long term love affair with a Japanese beauty ;)

There were only 600+ UK Supra sold, most of them autos, so you may be waiting a long time to find the right one.

I'd go for a facelift/VVTi twin turbo. Newer cars :)

:yeahthat:

gotta love the small fast spool single turbo, but each single turbo is different and spool is affected, lots of different numbers and turbos out there you could end up with a rubish car if wrong turbo is fitted, stick with tt bpu = sweet car all round,and go straight to single when the turbos are shot or replace with stock

gotta love the small fast spool single turbo, but each single turbo is different and spool is affected, lots of different numbers and turbos out there you could end up with a rubish car if wrong turbo is fitted, stick with tt bpu = sweet car all round,and go straight to single when the turbos are shot or replace with stock

I've driven smaller singled cars and to be honest I love a bit of lag.

Throttle, lag, boost, face pulled off. PERFECT!!!