The mkiv Supra Owners Club

chassis and engine cleaning experiences

Scooter

In the spring i'm going to be doing a fair few servicing items on my new aerotop and I'd like to clean all the inner wheel arches, brake pipes, wishbones and underneath as well as the engine bay etc etc.

Now i've done various bits before with plastic bristle brushes and old sponges etc but wondered if anyone had hired a steam cleaner or (low) pressure washer and had success/been impressed with the results. I'm trying to reduce the effort involved in doing this all manually!

cheers

These types of things seem to be available for hire for about £100.....I presume if you are sensible (low pressure and temp) with them you can happily use them on bodywork areas too. You hear horror stories of blasting off paint from panels so just checking, i don't want to create problems!

Yes, steam cleaner with truck wash detergent in the water flow. Beware if you have a lousy respray, they are buggers for lifting iffy lacquer off the paint. I use them underneath the arches and in the engine bay mainly. If the outside of my car was clean people would suspect I had done a crime and was ridding it of DNA.

These types of things seem to be available for hire for about £100.....I presume if you are sensible (low pressure and temp) with them you can happily use them on bodywork areas too. You hear horror stories of blasting off paint from panels so just checking, i don't want to create problems!

Just don't get too close with the end of the lance ;)