The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil filter

Josh

Looking to do an oil change on my Supra (cue jokes and general off topic chat) and I'm going to change the oil filter at the same time.

After reading this information; http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/index.html it looks as though the Lexus filter will be best.

I've found one for £10.99 delivered on Ebay, does anyone (I'm looking at you, Dunk) know how much it would be from Toyota? Part number is 90915-20004.

Thank you :)

Edited by Josh (see edit history)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keron is very reasonable on price!

I had 10L of genuine Toyota Semi Synth 10w40

6 NGK copper Core(I plan to change them every 5k)

ADL Blue print oil filter and fuel filter

For £92.40.

He also had genuine oil and fuel filter for not much difference in cost but said that quality between the two wasn't much difference=]

Buy from toyota dude or Whiffin, iv got one sitting in the garage, i bought 2 when lee was building mine, holds loads more oil, :D

Edit: my build thread has a pic and part no of it

Keron is very reasonable on price!

I had 10L of genuine Toyota Semi Synth 10w40

6 NGK copper Core(I plan to change them every 5k)

ADL Blue print oil filter and fuel filter

For £92.40.

He also had genuine oil and fuel filter for not much difference in cost but said that quality between the two wasn't much difference=]

Cheers guys. I've ordered some touch up paint for a little ding my car received which I need to pick up in the week, so I'll call them tomorrow and see how much it is from them.

I've just skim-read the mkiv.com article that Josh linked to. It says that Toyota filters don't come sealed, but I'm pretty sure that's not true. They don't come pre-greased but that's not hard to do with a dab of fresh oil. The internal construction is certainly different in the Lexus one, but can we say that the Lexus one is better for a 2JZ-GE/GTE engine? A finer filtration system isn't *always* better as the system has to pull the oil harder through the filter. Is the V8 engine's oilways and oil pump better suited to a finer filter?

I've always used genuine Toyota filters (not Lexus ones) that were designed to be used with the engine I've got.

I've been using Toyota filters on mkiv's since 1995 and really dont see any need to use a

supposedly uprated filter or non genuine one.

Especially if the genuine one is under £10 and would appear to do its job rather well !!

My car having done over 134,000 miles is testatment to you not needing anything else !

I've been using Toyota filters on mkiv's since 1995 and really dont see any need to use a

supposedly uprated filter or non genuine one.

Especially if the genuine one is under £10 and would appear to do its job rather well !!

My car having done over 134,000 miles is testatment to you not needing anything else !

Exactly, it's 10 quid for god sakes how much were you hoping to save :blink:

This is on the Opie website so youd like to think their okay, very cheap as well at £5.40 inc vat

Oil, Fuel, Cabin and Air Filters

UFI provide premium filtration systems to the world of rally, Moto-GP, Speed Boats, Motorcycles and Formula 1 teams. As official supplier to the Ferrari team for more than 25 years, UFI also collaborate with Toyota, Jordan, Sauber and BMW Williams.

UFI are approved by Audi, VW, Alfa Romeo, Aprilia, BMW, Bugatti, Daimler Chrysler, Ducati, Ferrari, Fiat, Ford, GM, Daewoo, Hyundai, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Lamborghini, Kia, Lancia, Land Rover, Maserati, Peugeot/Citroen, Saab, Renault, Seat, Skoda, Suzuki, Toyota and Volvo

Guest Roger NE

Out of interest, is there room on the 2JZ-GE to fit a bigger oil filter? I'm a Mk3 Supra owner, currently looking at fitting a 2JZ-GE engine.

However, a few years ago I started fitting a MUCH bigger oil filter on my 7M . . . it has TWICE the surface area of filter . . . so regardless how frequently you do a filter change, at any given point it will only be half as clogged. (Don't know why Toyota fit such a small filter on such a big engine anyway). Another benefit is that it's much easier to grab when changing!

Stock filter on the left - filter I now fit on the right

oifilters.jpg

Out of interest, is there room on the 2JZ-GE to fit a bigger oil filter? I'm a Mk3 Supra owner, currently looking at fitting a 2JZ-GE engine.

However, a few years ago I started fitting a MUCH bigger oil filter on my 7M . . . it has TWICE the surface area of filter . . . so regardless how frequently you do a filter change, at any given point it will only be half as clogged. (Don't know why Toyota fit such a small filter on such a big engine anyway). Another benefit is that it's much easier to grab when changing!

Stock filter on the left - filter I now fit on the right

[ATTACH=CONFIG]143746[/ATTACH]

Why change something that obviously does the job ? Ref post number 8

This is on the Opie website so youd like to think their okay, very cheap as well at £5.40 inc vat

Oil, Fuel, Cabin and Air Filters

UFI provide premium filtration systems to the world of rally, Moto-GP, Speed Boats, Motorcycles and Formula 1 teams. As official supplier to the Ferrari team for more than 25 years, UFI also collaborate with Toyota, Jordan, Sauber and BMW Williams.

UFI are approved by Audi, VW, Alfa Romeo, Aprilia, BMW, Bugatti, Daimler Chrysler, Ducati, Ferrari, Fiat, Ford, GM, Daewoo, Hyundai, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Lamborghini, Kia, Lancia, Land Rover, Maserati, Peugeot/Citroen, Saab, Renault, Seat, Skoda, Suzuki, Toyota and Volvo

Cheers DNK didn't realize UFI was so involved. Should be fine me thinks

When it comes time to get it off again, you'll wish you'd bought one of these; unless it's very loose, which it won't be.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Supra-JZA80-2JZ-K-N-Performance-Oil-Filter-Conceptua-/130612337412?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e691a1b04

Probably right about that. Could always use the large screwdriver trick if all else fails.

Never had a problem getting them off before and i've lost count of how many

my cars had in the last 12 + years

I only hand-tighten but I always have trouble removing them, whatever engine it is. I usually end up using a strap and socket wrench accompanied by various expletives involving the letters, 'F' and 'C'! :D

I only hand-tighten but I always have trouble removing them, whatever engine it is. I usually end up using a strap and socket wrench accompanied by various expletives involving the letters, 'F' and 'C'! :D

Lol

I just shout at my mechanic to try harder as he burns his arms and hands etc

on the slightly warm engine ;) :D

Lol

I just shout at my mechanic to try harder as he burns his arms and hands etc

on the slightly warm engine ;) :D

Aha, I knew there had to be a secret technique! :D

Hey, I wonder if tasing yourself helps, like 'The Incredible Hulk', sort of effect?

aedC-BngQ6I

Edited by Morpheus
Hulked out during post production (see edit history)

Guest Roger NE
Why change something that obviously does the job ?

I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous argument! Although most things on these cars are pretty good as stock, it doesn't mean they can't be improved! And fitting a larger oil filter is clearly an improvement. But nobody replied to my question as to whether there is clearance to fit a longer filter on the 2J ?

And regarding removing oil filters . . if you don't over-tighten them they should undo fine. I've NEVER had a problem removing an oil filter just by grabbing it by hand and unscrewing it (as long as it's not one someone else has fitted!)