The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1st cat 2nd cat joint help

Scooter

My new Supra's 2nd cat cover rattles annoyingly at idle. I can literally recreate the rattle by hand from underneath by just wiggling the outer cover/heat shield.

It's the original exhaust and the 2nd cat is in general a little past it. I have a very good condition complete system from the 1st cat back that I was going to fit but i'm struggling with the 2 bolts on the 1st/2nd cat joint. The 14m bolt heads are in good condition but the other sides hex nut is very rusty and no longer Hex! and the protruding threaded section is also rusted pretty much smooth. I have wire brushed it and applied loads of penetrating fluid but when I try and undo the bolt heads the whole bolt just spins and I can't clamp the top nut due to the rusting.

Am I going to need to apply lots of heat or is there another way? Unsubtle methods would be ok as I won't need to reuse anything.

blow torch it off fella only way unless you want to drill!!!

:rolleyes: :)

It doesn't look like you'll be able to reuse the bolts/nuts.

Depending on what tools you have.

My order of preference would be:

Hold the rounded nut with some mole grips and loosen the bolt, it will either shear or come loose.

Or, cut them off with an angle grinder.

Or cut them off with a hacksaw.

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

:rolleyes: :)

It doesn't look like you'll be able to reuse the bolts/nuts.

Depending on what tools you have.

My order of preference would be:

Hold the rounded nut with some mole grips and loosen the bolt, it will either shear or come loose.

Or, cut them off with an angle grinder.

Or cut them off with a hacksaw.

I went with your first idea but the mole grips just slipped and rounded the head off a little more, I don't have an angle grinder but I don't think the access is good enough to use one, possibly the same with even a junior hacksaw.