The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Owner in the North-East?

Guest Roger NE

Guest Roger NE

I'm a Mk3 Supra owner, and thinking of fitting a 2JZ-GE engine to replace my 7M-GE at some point.

These engines look far more similar than the two turbo versions, so shouldn't be too hard. They also both use versions of the W58 gearbox.

HOWEVER . . . very few people have done this transplant - it's normally only people into turbocharged engines that have (I'm afraid I've always hated turbos!)

SO . . . I'd really love to look at someone's Mk4 N/A to compare things . . is there anyone in the Newcastle area on here? (I've looked at lots of photos, but it's quite hard to see what's going on.) Current concerns are things like radiator fan, aircon and power steering, exhaust mating.

ALSO . . . it occurs to me it might be cheaper to get a crash-damaged Mk4. Although I've seen 2JZ-GE engines for around £350 from breakers, I think they'd want a lot more when you add all the other bits I'd need. Any idea how much they go for?

Guest Roger NE

Thanks guys. Well I'm near Gosforth Park Racecourse Neo, so perhaps can come over and have a nose in your engine bay sometime.

OK about the N/A engines . . . so why are people getting rid of them? I obviously want one that's in good condition or it defeats the purpose. Maybe they're fitting twin turbo engines?

I've had my Mk3 for 12 years and I'm afraid I really love the classic muscle-car styling. After 115,000 miles on the original engine had a big end fail . . . having bought TWO "guaranteed" secondhand engines that turned out to be duff I then bit the bullet and paid £2,500 for a full recon . . . that engine has now done over 100,000 miles, so I'm worried it may give up the ghost sometime soon.

You guys may know that the 7M has a history of HG and big end failure, which is why I figure a 2JZ-GE would be a better bet. Is it true that they tend to be much more reliable? (what sort of trouble-free mileage do people typically get?

The problem I have is that I'm really broke these days (bloomin' recession!) so have to find a fairly cheap way of doing this. Certainly a s/h 2J seems a better bet than a s/h 7M.

But I know I will also need the bellhousing, ECU & loom, MAP & air intake, exhaust manifold, ALL engine ancilliaries (Alternator, Power steering, Aircon compressor . . . as well as ignition system. Think that's about it! It's whether I can get all those without breaking the bank!

So any thoughts on availability and reliability would be welcomed.

Guest Roger NE

As I say, I would welcome comments from anyone as to the reliabilty of an un-modified 2JZ-GE engine . . . . do people ever have Big End or Head Gasket failures? What kind of mileage do people get from these engines?

To my knowledge I've never heard of a 2JZ-GE engine to have failed and certainly never heard of a HG failed apart from overheating issue which has caused the head to lift.

Stevo's car has done over 12000 miles and still pulls like a train, I did replace the water pump for him a couple of months back due to the core plug loosing its seal but like I said the engine still pulls like a train.

As Bossco said, you could get everything needed from an N/A supra for a few hundred quid.

Guest Roger NE

Thanks Paul - does yours have a stock exhaust manifold and air intake?

And thanks for the comment about the 2J's reliabilty hodge . . . the N/A 7Ms are certainly much more reliable than the turbocharged versions (especially when people start upping the boost) . . so I'm hoping a 2JZ-GE might be good for 200,000 miles. (If I can find one that has done under 100,000 then I figure it would be worth fitting)

You will not have a problem with the GE it is a very under stressed engine and i only know of 1 on this forum that has gone pop.

I will have an engine coming out of my car soon that has done around 80k, might be able to deliver if you help with petty costs.

Guest Roger NE

Well that would be brilliant Neil . . . . can I have your e-mail address? Or e-mail me - mine is [email protected]

I would happily pay for the delivery AND the engine Neil . . . especially if you have the other bits I'd need too. (Not sure if the turbo version uses the same MAP sensor or the same ignition coil & amplifier)

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

Well that would be brilliant Neil . . . . can I have your e-mail address? Or e-mail me - mine is [email protected]

I would happily pay for the delivery AND the engine Neil . . . especially if you have the other bits I'd need too. (Not sure if the turbo version uses the same MAP sensor or the same ignition coil & amplifier)

Hi mate as soon as its out and ready i will give you a shout, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

2JZ-GEs are cheap because nobody wants them... and the reason nobody wants them is not because they are rubbish, but because they never need to be replaced. :) I have 211,000 miles on my GS300.

Bear in mind that there are two sump positions, Supra/Soarer and GS300/Aristo. Which do you need for a Mk3 transplant? (EDIT: JZA70 1JZ is rear sump, same as the Supra 2JZ.)

Also, as I'm sure you know, the 1JZ and 2JZ blocks are basically the same, so 2JZ into MA70 is the same as 1JZ into MA70, which, if I remember correctly, just needs a later crossmember and JZA70 engine mounts?

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Its does roger everythings stadard mate

The TT and N/A map sensors are totally different and a TT doesnt use a coil and distributor it uses coil on plug or Coilpacks.

Guest Roger NE

Yes I presume it's a SUPRA 2JZ-GE type sump I need on the engine . . . I have a later type cross member, so all I need to buy are the mounting brackets for a 1JZ/JZA70 and it should drop on my engine mounts

Good news that the ignition components and the intake/MAP sensor are DIFFERENT on an N/A . . so someone doing a Turbo transplant won't need to keep any of those . . . OR the W58 bellhousing I guess (which I also need to fit on my W58)

And good news on your reliability comments about the 2JZ-GE . . . that's why I'm wanting to do this (otherwise I'd just fit another 7M!)

I really appreciate your help with this guys . . . . once I've done it, I'm going to post a full write-up on the Mk3 Supra Forum, so that lots of other people can do it more easily . . . that may then be of benefit to you guys wanting to sell your N/A engines if you're fitting a turbo one!