The mkiv Supra Owners Club

diffs - what is best for acceleration over top speed?

Branners

I currently have an open (non LSD) diff on my car. My first import had an LSD retro fitted, and my UK spec had one as standard so I want to fit an LSD at some point.

I will never top speed my car so for me I want gearing aimed at acceleration over top speed. What is the best option with the diffs to get that, ie auto vs manual, UK vs import?

Or is the gearing on a stock open diff the best for acceleration?

Id try and pick up a oem auto tt lsd, failing that trd/kazz etc lsd for your diff, but they work out big money once fitted, if you fit a manual lsd diff the gears will be far to long.

Na gearing might be a bit better for acceleration but im not sure if the gearing is down to the box or diff.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

that makes things simple. I will keep an eye out for a stock TT diff once I have RLTC paid for and fitted.

Not risking the rear end coming round without RLTC being there. First drag run I did on my first import with the LSD I was used to just keeping my foot on the floor and letting the open diff just spin, the LSD put me sideways at 80mph at Pod leaving me facing the white concrete wall, survived that near miss.

I currently have an open (non LSD) diff on my car. My first import had an LSD retro fitted, and my UK spec had one as standard so I want to fit an LSD at some point.

I will never top speed my car so for me I want gearing aimed at acceleration over top speed. What is the best option with the diffs to get that, ie auto vs manual, UK vs import?

Or is the gearing on a stock open diff the best for acceleration?

you know its the crown wheel and pinion that gives the final drive ratio. the actual diff itself controls the way the axle puts the power to the road. one or both wheels.

can always put smaller wheels or tyres on, even a 275/40 18 and a 275/35 18 are 20mph different at top speed have a look at the tyre size calculator if thats your goal

I'm assuming you missed the part where he said:

I will never top speed my car so for me I want gearing aimed at acceleration over top speed.

• 3 years later...

As far as I can tell the full diff code for the 4.273 ratio is A05A for the open or A05B for the torsen.

I don't think A05B diffs were too common though, I sourced the correct crownwheel & pinion set from a breaker's yard in Chicago, had it shipped to New York city where a mate was over visiting family and he carried it back in his luggage for me! Then I fitted it to my own torsen unit & casing.

A lot of hassle to become probably the slowest unique Supra in Europe! :)