The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Understanding differential ratios?

JamieP

I have a j-spec TT6 diff in my car, I read that the UK TT6 diffs have a different ratio and will give me an extra 4mph in 3rd if i had a stock rev limit and wheels.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?29830-Gearboxes-Diffs-and-Speed-In-Gear

What would i have to change in my diff the get that ratio? or is it a case of getting a new diff

Cheers.

Cheers mate, im going to look into it next week, get some prices, might work out to much money for just one event though, im trying to avoid having to do another gear change in the mlr 30-130

Could you look at other options, like an increased rev limit just in third, for that event?

Talking of tyres, 325/50/15 MT is a monster tyre, i had to cut about 10mm off he back of the side pod just to get it on, then with a 10mm spacer i only have about 2 or 3 mm clearance a the back, im going to change to a 15mm spacer, strange at how much bigger they are than a BFG 325/50/15, god knows how people get them on stock body cars, they must hammer the hell out of the inner well.

You need a decent gearbox with alternative ratios for all internal gears and preferably a drop gear output to enable overall ratio changes, just like changing the diff. I can change the overall ratio in 20 minutes on mine. It's time you stopped messing about and started spending some money on this old clonker of yours ;) You could go the other way on diff ratio and have better acceleration and use 4th properly to get to 130? Having effectively a 3 speed gearbox to hit V-Max for the run is not very good.