The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra revival!

mknapman77

HI all,

Im new to the supra world, and I've just acquired a mkiv on a p plate that needs reviving! its been sat outside for the last 8-10 years and i intend on bringing it back to life, so may require some advice along the way! Gonna start by cleaning it up a bit, getting the engine turning over and seeing if i can get oil pressure and actually make it run, is there anything else specific to these cars i should look out for on the way? also does anyone know a good place to buy/download a good workshop manual? I've downloaded a few for other cars and they've turned out useless sometimes!

Thanks for any advice!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome

What have you bought, TT or NA

Along with getting it running i'd be having a very close look at the brakes, check for

corroded brake lines and also check for perished outer seals which lead to seized

pistons, are they the 4 pot and 2 pot calipers (known as uk spec) or

the smaller 2 pot and single pot (known as j spec)?

If their the smaller type then they could have seized sliders as well which will need overhauling or replacing.

It'll possibly need new tyres as well so have a good look at them before you drive it anywhere.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Its TT, not 100 percent sure but i think judging by list of things I've found out the web about them its an import unfortunately. I haven't got the v5 yet, but it has no bonnet vent, reverse lights are in the middle, it has side skirts, etc. Ive just been over to it to take some photos, as i haven't got it to my house yet, i will post them up asap. Don't worry, i won't be driving it for a while, I'm a mechanic myself so I appreciate the general problems of it having been sat for ages, was just wondering if theres anything specific to look for once i get it reasonably mobile and running! Cheers guys!

I bet with a new battery it starts.

Crank it over by hand with a rachet to make sure the engine turns freely,

Dump the oil n put new in and give it a go.

Major concern would be hoses bursting when it begins to warm through.

There's plenty of people on here who will help you as you go. Feel free to drop me a p.m with any question you have I'm more than happy to help and good luck :D

yeah I'm not sure how i managed to put 'p' plate instead of 'k'! sorry about that!

I agree, i don't think its had any TLC for a long time, but thats why I'm here! Just hoping the engine isn't too bad, for the price I paid for it I can afford to spend a bit on it so ill just have to see how it goes over next few years! It will prob be a long term project, as I'm a race car mechanic and spend too much time away with work to get it done quickly!

Was there any reason why the previous owner decided to dump it in a forest?

No doubt some animals have made their home in the exhaust and engine bay :)

Not sure where in Hampshire you are but if you need a hand let me know. I live bottom end of Surrey by Hindhead. I have some spare j spec TT parts if needed.

Was there any reason why the previous owner decided to dump it in a forest?

No doubt some animals have made their home in the exhaust and engine bay :)

Not sure where in Hampshire you are but if you need a hand let me know. I live bottom end of Surrey by Hindhead. I have some spare j spec TT parts if needed.

I live in Fareham, I would also lend a hand if needed.

basically the guy who owned it rented some offices on my uncles land. there is this car, and a very rotten celica supra there too, so he was obviously a fan! from what i can gather he ended up with some issues, then in rehab, so thats where they've sat ever since! I'm in aldershot, so not too far away at all, ill be sure to give you a shout if i need anything cheers!

basically the guy who owned it rented some offices on my uncles land. there is this car, and a very rotten celica supra there too, so he was obviously a fan! from what i can gather he ended up with some issues, then in rehab, so thats where they've sat ever since! I'm in aldershot, so not too far away at all, ill be sure to give you a shout if i need anything cheers!

No problem. Just give me a shout if you need any help.

i haven't got any pics of the celica, but ill get some next time I'm there. the celiac is definitely in a bad way though, plenty of rot, door sills are just about gone and it has a tree growing under the bonnet which is coming out through the headlamp and various other places in the front!

As Hodge said, don't be surprised if she easily starts up, they are solid engines. :)

Follow Hodge's instructions and you should be fine, double check as also mentioned nothing is 'living' in the car.

A bit of t-cut and you should have one hell of a car.

took another short, wet trip over to it today, emptied 95% of the rubbish out of it and got it rolling, and cleaned most of the pine needles off! couldn't get too much done due to weather but the battery is on charge now and its rolling enough that i can get it on a trailer, get it to my house and start some real work!