PDA

View Full Version : Supra revival!

mknapman77
30-12-11, 13:47
HI all,

Im new to the supra world, and I've just acquired a mkiv on a p plate that needs reviving! its been sat outside for the last 8-10 years and i intend on bringing it back to life, so may require some advice along the way! Gonna start by cleaning it up a bit, getting the engine turning over and seeing if i can get oil pressure and actually make it run, is there anything else specific to these cars i should look out for on the way? also does anyone know a good place to buy/download a good workshop manual? I've downloaded a few for other cars and they've turned out useless sometimes!

Thanks for any advice!

David P
30-12-11, 13:49
http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/content.php?51-Repair-Manuals

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?254565-Toyota-supra-workshop-manuals

Welcome to the club. :)

The 'Advanced Search' will find what else you seek, is it N/A or T.T.?

Post up some pics.

Dnk
30-12-11, 13:59
Welcome

What have you bought, TT or NA

Along with getting it running i'd be having a very close look at the brakes, check for
corroded brake lines and also check for perished outer seals which lead to seized
pistons, are they the 4 pot and 2 pot calipers (known as uk spec) or
the smaller 2 pot and single pot (known as j spec)?

If their the smaller type then they could have seized sliders as well which will need overhauling or replacing.

It'll possibly need new tyres as well so have a good look at them before you drive it anywhere.

mknapman77
30-12-11, 16:32
Its TT, not 100 percent sure but i think judging by list of things I've found out the web about them its an import unfortunately. I haven't got the v5 yet, but it has no bonnet vent, reverse lights are in the middle, it has side skirts, etc. Ive just been over to it to take some photos, as i haven't got it to my house yet, i will post them up asap. Don't worry, i won't be driving it for a while, I'm a mechanic myself so I appreciate the general problems of it having been sat for ages, was just wondering if theres anything specific to look for once i get it reasonably mobile and running! Cheers guys!

Westy
30-12-11, 17:00
Import....unfortunately!?:blink:

mknapman77
31-12-11, 12:06
i was lead to believe the imports are less desirable and have less horsepower?

hodge
31-12-11, 12:10
In for pics.
Welcome to the club.

mknapman77
31-12-11, 12:17

peter richards
31-12-11, 12:17
welcome , id leave the uk/ j spec debate for later , or your thread will spiral out of control . good luck with getting the car going .P plate ?

Rob_Mitchell
31-12-11, 12:22
Best of luck mate. Not good leaving a car standing all that time, i would worry about getting it started than i would cleaning it.................... needs bling under hood!

welshbuddy
31-12-11, 12:24
Look's like the supra's had a hard life!!

Hope you get it back to scratch !! :D

hodge
31-12-11, 12:31
I bet with a new battery it starts.
Crank it over by hand with a rachet to make sure the engine turns freely,
Dump the oil n put new in and give it a go.
Major concern would be hoses bursting when it begins to warm through.
There's plenty of people on here who will help you as you go. Feel free to drop me a p.m with any question you have I'm more than happy to help and good luck :D

hodge
31-12-11, 12:32
Best of luck mate. Not good leaving a car standing all that time, i would worry about getting it started than i would cleaning it.................... needs bling under hood!

Typical Rob, always pushing for a sale lol.

mknapman77
31-12-11, 12:34
yeah I'm not sure how i managed to put 'p' plate instead of 'k'! sorry about that!
I agree, i don't think its had any TLC for a long time, but thats why I'm here! Just hoping the engine isn't too bad, for the price I paid for it I can afford to spend a bit on it so ill just have to see how it goes over next few years! It will prob be a long term project, as I'm a race car mechanic and spend too much time away with work to get it done quickly!

mwilkinson
31-12-11, 12:48
Was there any reason why the previous owner decided to dump it in a forest?

No doubt some animals have made their home in the exhaust and engine bay :)

Not sure where in Hampshire you are but if you need a hand let me know. I live bottom end of Surrey by Hindhead. I have some spare j spec TT parts if needed.

BOB B
31-12-11, 13:04
Was there any reason why the previous owner decided to dump it in a forest?

No doubt some animals have made their home in the exhaust and engine bay :)

Not sure where in Hampshire you are but if you need a hand let me know. I live bottom end of Surrey by Hindhead. I have some spare j spec TT parts if needed.

I live in Fareham, I would also lend a hand if needed.

mknapman77
31-12-11, 13:14
basically the guy who owned it rented some offices on my uncles land. there is this car, and a very rotten celica supra there too, so he was obviously a fan! from what i can gather he ended up with some issues, then in rehab, so thats where they've sat ever since! I'm in aldershot, so not too far away at all, ill be sure to give you a shout if i need anything cheers!

Tyson
31-12-11, 13:21
Always glad to see a Supra being saved from the scrap heap. Good luck with the restoration !! I am very curious to know how much you paid for it :D PM if you like.

mwilkinson
31-12-11, 13:36
basically the guy who owned it rented some offices on my uncles land. there is this car, and a very rotten celica supra there too, so he was obviously a fan! from what i can gather he ended up with some issues, then in rehab, so thats where they've sat ever since! I'm in aldershot, so not too far away at all, ill be sure to give you a shout if i need anything cheers!

No problem. Just give me a shout if you need any help.

KamaSupra
31-12-11, 13:49
I'd love to find something like this, good luck bringing her back to life. Once she's on the road pop down to a Basingstoke meet ;)

Any pics of the Supra Celica?

fastcar
31-12-11, 14:04
It's a shame to see a such a great car dumped like this! Hope you get it back to its former glory good luck with the project hopefully it won't need much doing and welcome to the forum:)

mknapman77
31-12-11, 14:36
i haven't got any pics of the celica, but ill get some next time I'm there. the celiac is definitely in a bad way though, plenty of rot, door sills are just about gone and it has a tree growing under the bonnet which is coming out through the headlamp and various other places in the front!

Abz
31-12-11, 14:40
As Hodge said, don't be surprised if she easily starts up, they are solid engines. :)

Follow Hodge's instructions and you should be fine, double check as also mentioned nothing is 'living' in the car.

A bit of t-cut and you should have one hell of a car.

mknapman77
01-01-12, 15:30
took another short, wet trip over to it today, emptied 95% of the rubbish out of it and got it rolling, and cleaned most of the pine needles off! couldn't get too much done due to weather but the battery is on charge now and its rolling enough that i can get it on a trailer, get it to my house and start some real work!

mplavery
01-01-12, 15:55
Welcome to the club mate, It's a shame to see a supra abandoned like that

Good luck bringing the Supra back to life, I'm sure it won't need much to get her started...hopefully all the brakes aren't seized

ellis
01-01-12, 16:06
i was lead to believe the imports are less desirable and have less horsepower?

No and no! All Supras (TT) has the same 326bhp, the 280bhp gentleman's agreement was just a ruse!
Good luck with bringing this back to life - be interesting to watch your progress.

And welcome by the way!

mknapman77
01-01-12, 16:30
yeah sorry, i didn't mean to fall into the uk / jap argument! i don't suppose you guys know if anything is the same on the mk3 celiac supra as the mk4? even if its just engine bits?

evinX
01-01-12, 16:37
Looks fairly clean to be honest, get the engine going, shouldnt be to hard, new fluids, batterys, spark plugs, do a compression test etc etc, then get her on a ramp, if the chassis is rusty, which i think it will be from sitting in a moist patch for that time then it might not be worth it, if its clean, get some new pads and discs with some new rubber and that should be all it needs, mine was more of a piggy when i got it and its going strong, welcome!

dangerous brain
01-01-12, 17:45
You may find even in the state its in that the celica supra would be of interest to someone as there is a lot of interest in restoring old skool jap motors. I imagine if you'll have any issues with the engine it'll be with the twin turbo VSV and waste gate gubbins etc as that lots all mechanical and hasn't been moved for years. You could always just sling a single on it to get around those sort of problems

SupraD06
01-01-12, 17:52
If your unsure as to what model you have, you could always check the Vin plate on the driver wing under the boonet.

mknapman77
01-01-12, 17:55
Ive checked the vin, which part dictates it being an import as opposed to a uk one? also, where is good to get parts for these like oil filters, etc? Im assuming if it is an import most normal car factors will be useless?

SupraD06
01-01-12, 17:57
See here,
http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?101452-VIN-Plate-decoder&highlight=vin+decoder

And Paul, from Garagewhifbitz.co.uk on here, can sort you out with most stock parts.

peter richards
01-01-12, 17:59
i think you will find that parts will be readily available from the guys on here that break supras , and that its an import makes no difference , that was just scaremongering years ago by the dealers who quickly changed theryre minds when they realised how much they were losing out on servicing and things.

mknapman77
01-01-12, 18:01
oops, thought the first post didn't go in!

peter richards
01-01-12, 18:04
mine is an import , all i do when i need filters , i just give the shop i use my reg number and i pick it up , as for oil , ive been using valvolene for years , but there is a wide choice for you regarding oil

mknapman77
01-01-12, 18:50
what grade engine oil do you recommend for it?

peter richards
01-01-12, 19:07
the valvolene i use is called VR1 5/50

Scooter
01-01-12, 20:47
Toyota in the slyfield industrial estate aren't terrible for parts.....................you will need your chassis and model number for them though.

http://www.mkiv.co.nz/ select "specs" and it will run you through the VIN number meanings......

supraGZaerotop
02-01-12, 13:12
why in the hell would you leave a TT supra parked up in a yard/woods to rot for 8-10 years, such a massive shame, TT aswel!! :blink:

adnanshah247
02-01-12, 14:47
poor sup!

Sheefa
02-01-12, 20:28
Best of luck although finding a TT like that means luck is on your side!

Should be a beauty once brought to life

FOSTA
03-01-12, 00:00
why in the hell would you leave a TT supra parked up in a yard/woods to rot for 8-10 years, such a massive shame, TT aswel!! :blink:

Just what I was thinking! I'm quite shocked!
Hopfully it will be back to life soon :)

mknapman77
03-01-12, 10:15
Well, so far so good, washed it down and hoovered it out, although gonna require some paintwork. Plugs are out, rocker covers off, given it a coat of oil and everythings moving nicely when turning over by hand, now to change the oil and filter and get it cranking to make sure ive got oil pressure!

slugger1
03-01-12, 15:40

There are quite a few of us in the Aldershot/Farnborough area so when it's back on the road you will have get involved in one of the local meets. Good luck in the meantime!

mknapman77
03-01-12, 16:01
Cheers mate, its all turning over now, oils circulating , just gotta clear the fuel out, put some fresh in and hopefully it will spring to life!

mknapman77
03-01-12, 19:36
hi all, ive run into my first problem!

i seem to have engine fault codes 14, which i think is an ignition circuit problem, although i do have a spark, and the 2nd is 78, which is fuel pump related. I do however have some kind of aftermarket alarm/immobiliser, and im thinking that possibly all of this could stem from not being able to disarm that. obviously i will be trying to take that out of the system tomorrow (i think its some kind of toad alarm) just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

another question i have is where is the fuel pump? I currently have no workshop manuals, as they still havent turned up from the people i ordered them from.

thanks for any advice

mknapman77
03-01-12, 19:39
also, does anyone know how to disable any standard immobilisers on it?

Shane
03-01-12, 22:55
Hi mate and welcome.

In the diagnostic port, link Fp and B+ with a short piece of wire, when you switch the ignition on you should be able to hear the pump,its in the tank by the way. If you can hear the pump then you should have fuel pressure up at the injector rail and it may start :), but you will still need to look at why you have to feed a permanent feed to the pump. If you cant hear anything then report back and we can go a bit further into it.

mknapman77
03-01-12, 23:57
i actually tried that and i couldnt hear the pump, is it common for the pump to break?

TubbyTwo
04-01-12, 09:06
This is going to be a good thread :) Subscribed and good luck!!

Shane
04-01-12, 10:54
i actually tried that and i couldnt hear the pump, is it common for the pump to break?

To die completely I would say not, but saying that how many other Supras have we had on here that have been stood like yours for so long? OK, do you have a multimeter? If so just check that you have 12v present at the B+ point at the diag port when the ignition is on. The fact that you are storing codes suggests that it is, but lets just be 100% sure.

Lift the sparewheel out and remove the circular plate that's underneath and it will expose the top of the tank and a connector that carries the sender connections and also the fuel pump feed. Seem to recall that the pump feed wires are thicker than the sender ones, but could be wrong here, sure someone will correct me if so and maybe oeven provide us with the wire colours of the pump's feed. Once these are identified stick the meter on these and with the link in place up at the diag port you should see a constant 12v at the pump feed. If so, then you will need to take the pump out and investigate a bit further, if not then report back and we will go a bit deeper into it. Good luck chap.

mknapman77
04-01-12, 14:37
Yeah fuel pump is dead. dont suppose there is anywhere local i can pick one up? will it be the same as a uk one?

Shane
04-01-12, 14:46
Yeah fuel pump is dead. dont suppose there is anywhere local i can pick one up? will it be the same as a uk one? I think the UK one has a slightly higher flow rate, but fits. Assuming once you get the bug you will want to go BPU and so on, may as well just stick a walboro or something similar in while its in bits and then you know at a later date that bits taken care of. I bought from a company on ebay that supposedly has a 300+ lph flow rate and it was a good price I seem to recall, Paul Whiffin (a trder on here) does them too.

Here you are, this will get you going for little money until you decide what type to go for and they do express delivery:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HRC-Performance-Toyota-Supra-Celica-ST-Starlet-255-LPH-HRC-fuel-pump-race-/260922819047?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc03641e7

mknapman77
04-01-12, 15:29
cheers mate, i dont suppose anyone local has a good used one they want to sell? Im back to work next week so would like to make some progress!

Dnk
04-01-12, 15:34
hi all, ive run into my first problem!

i seem to have engine fault codes 14, which i think is an ignition circuit problem, although i do have a spark, and the 2nd is 78, which is fuel pump related. I do however have some kind of aftermarket alarm/immobiliser, and im thinking that possibly all of this could stem from not being able to disarm that. obviously i will be trying to take that out of the system tomorrow (i think its some kind of toad alarm) just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

another question i have is where is the fuel pump? I currently have no workshop manuals, as they still havent turned up from the people i ordered them from.

thanks for any advice

Check the links in post no 2 that David P posted

mknapman77
04-01-12, 18:54
Got a new fuel pump now from whifbits, ill whack it on in the morning and see if she comes alive!

Shane
05-01-12, 09:11
Got a new fuel pump now from whifbits, ill whack it on in the morning and see if she comes alive!
Looking forward to hearing the results.

mknapman77
05-01-12, 14:53
Fuel pump on, got rid off the immobiliser which was preventing it switching on the fuel pump aaaaaand..........it runs! And sounds absolutely sweet as a nut! Next stop, brakes! Do you see what i did there?

Tyson
05-01-12, 15:31
Fuel pump on, got rid off the immobiliser which was preventing it switching on the fuel pump aaaaaand..........it runs! And sounds absolutely sweet as a nut! Next stop, brakes! Do you see what i did there?

Supras don't seem to mind hibernation :D Glad you got her running !! Will be a good thread, will be watching closely good luck.

mwilkinson
05-01-12, 16:07
Good to hear it's up and running.

You will need to get some refurb kits for the brakes. You can stick with stock discs as they are decent enough but it might be worth sticking some Chris Wilson fast road pads and braided lines on while your at it. Some rbf 600 or 660 wouldn't hurt either. I would also just check the condition of the brake lines seeing as they have sat for so long as they have been known to perish on the supra.

I have refurbished quite a few sets of UK spec brakes so if you need a hand let me know.

hodge
05-01-12, 17:11
Told you it would run :D
If a stock engine will handle over 800hp it won't mind a sleep for 5 or 6 years.

mknapman77
06-01-12, 19:03
Bit of a question with rear brakes, pretty sure mine are 307mm diameter, i take it the jap spec ones are 307, and the uk ones are the larger diameter?

Tyson
06-01-12, 19:05
Bit of a question with rear brakes, pretty sure mine are 307mm diameter, i take it the jap spec ones are 307, and the uk ones are the larger diameter?

The J spec have 2 piston calipers on the front and single piston calipers on the back. Uk's are 4 at the front and 2 at the back not so sure on the disk sizes though.

mknapman77
09-01-12, 20:10
looking a bit shinier now! plus new alternator and right rear caliper on the way then well start thinking about an mot! will post some photos soon

mknapman77
09-01-12, 20:29
oops!

mknapman77
09-01-12, 20:34
took some polishing! 2 bottles of tcut later and here we are!

slugger1
10-01-12, 11:06
Looking good!

mknapman77
15-01-12, 17:32
a quick update on the progress: new alternator and rear calipers here, just got to fit them, and ive vinyled the roof for now with gloss black vinyl, just until i can afford to put some paint on it! so its not looking too bad, need some new tyres before the mot though!

listy
16-01-12, 08:28
looking good dude. sure most of us on here would have loved to get a find like that. any plans for the body or are you keeping it standard? i love supes in black too, really happy for you its all going well

mknapman77
16-01-12, 09:10
Long term im not entirely sure on my plan, but itll definitely stay black and i quite like the shape of the standard car to be honest,

mknapman77
27-01-12, 17:06
Brakes and alternator done, road test soon!

SupraDan24
27-01-12, 17:37
Nice, just read the thread, kudos for bringing one back from the dead :) Are you planning on going BPU, it makes a big difference to the performance ;)

mknapman77
25-03-12, 16:28
Sorry theres been no activity lately, been working my ass off at work! Finally got a day off and fitted some incidentals, wiper blades etc, does anyone know where i can get some bonnet pull cables from?

Scooter
25-03-12, 19:58
I'd try "Keron" he should have a few i'd of thought.....

mknapman77
08-05-12, 15:29
Heya guys, finally got a chance to do some work on the soop, and its all fully mot'd and running now, need to get some new rear shocks though if anyone has any suggestions on which to get? The only other problem im having is that the car is really flat when it drives. It wont rev past 6000 rpm at all, and id goes as far as saying its actually slower than my is200 at the moment. Really struggles to get past 100mph, any ideas?

stevie_b
08-05-12, 15:43
Good thread, enjoyed reading that!

Unlikely to be the cause of your 100mph issue, but the car might have the 112mph speed limiter fitted: all the Jap ones have it (Japanese law possibly), although that would probably cause the indicated speed to stick at around 120mph ish (speedos are optimistic as I'm sure you know).

mknapman77
08-05-12, 19:02
its not really like its being limited, as it takes forever to get there too, gonna run some injector cleaner through it tomorrow, and change the fuel pressure regulator if i can get one

mknapman77
08-05-12, 19:03
id better add that it has no misfire and no unusual noises, no smoke, everything seems fine except that its slow. only engine fault cde that comes up is 42 which i believe is just a speed sensor?

stevie_b
08-05-12, 22:08
You're correct about code 42. That can be safely ignored for the time being.

mknapman77
27-05-12, 12:14
Hi all, found the issue! Appears to have both turbos seized solid! Must be a testament to toyota that it ran so well like that! Im now faced with a predicament. Do i replace both turbos and keep it as a twin, or do i just forget it and go single? Where would be a good place to look for a single conversion, baring in mind i dont want to have to get a mortgage to do it! And where would be the best place to get 2 replacement turbos to stay as a twin?

mwilkinson
27-05-12, 13:22
Have the stock turbos rebuilt or find a decent second hand set.

There is nothing about going single which is cheap.

mwilkinson
27-05-12, 13:26
Sorry just seen the part about where to get some turbos.

Try any of the traders. I know Paul Whiffin does some hybrids. Quite a few people use CR Turbos. Can get a refurb set for approx 900.

mknapman77
27-05-12, 13:55
youll have to excuse my ignorance, but im reasonably new to the supra and turbo world! what are hybrid turbos?

mwilkinson
28-05-12, 08:41
Sorry double post!!

mwilkinson
28-05-12, 08:42
Sorry only just seen this and I am aware you have another thread with similar question.

Hybrid turbos are a stock set which have been modified. For example stock j-spec turbos with the ceramic blades replaced with steel or billet blades etc...

Worth doing a search on the forum as this topic has been covered a fair few times. The only issue you will find is that historically hybrid turbos were not renowned for their longevity. But, I think there are a number of additional factors involved in that reputation such as increased boost etc....

People have tried to use hybrid turbos to obtain the mythical 500 bhp on a twin sequential setup. As such they are often used in conjunction with piggy back fuel computers, larger injectors etc...

stevie_b
28-05-12, 09:00
Hybrid turbos: I think they're J-Spec turbos that have been re-built with steel turbine blades. J-Spec turbos have ceramic blades.

mknapman77
08-07-12, 16:30
All up and running now, loads of power! Thanks to mwilkinson for a pair of used turbos!

SilentAgro
08-07-12, 16:43
I am only slightly jealous of the fact you found a Supra like that :)

Glad all is working well now.

mwilkinson
08-07-12, 17:06
All up and running now, loads of power! Thanks to mwilkinson for a pair of used turbos!

Good to hear your dad got this sorted for you ;). Now you can enjoy the car as it was intended.

EMPEROR
09-07-12, 14:20
I wonder how I have missed this thread... Great work man! Glad you brought the Supra back to life. Would have been a shame to let it just rot there...
Cangrats!!! :friday:

mihai
19-07-12, 22:30
Congrats man ! I read it very carefuly ! congrats:cool:

mknapman77
29-08-12, 18:51
Supra has been running a while now, but it is really lumpy and kind of cuts in and out quite violently in the second turbo? Anyone have any ideas? Want to try and sort it before tax runs out in october as im thinking of taking it off the road and repainting it! Also does anyone know if the paint that they come with is a single stage or a paint/lacqeur?