The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight refurb. – done.

Hammer

Like quite a few on here my headlights are not in the best of condition. Both have flaking chrome and the nearside light gets condensation on the inside. I had a two day window this week, car is a daily driver, so I bit the bullet and took the nearside light out to attempt a quick referb. on it. I only worked on the chrome rings as time was limited but intend to do them both in full at a later date.

So first thing to do is take out the light. This went well and was alot easier than I thought it might be. Next to separate it. This was the part that worried me most, into the oven 80 for 10 mins. This was not enough to get it apart so another 5 mins. Some elbow grease and we were good to go. The chrome was really bad on the big ring but all would need to look the same so prep. was done to all.

Next to spray. Three coats of undercoat and three coats of Halfords chome paint. OK I know it is not going to be as good as chroming but as a quick fix I felt it was worth a punt.

Left for a day and then unrapped.

Now again back to the scary bit. Back into the oven at 80 this time for 17 mins. to ensure the sealant was really soft. Pushed back together with ease, thankfully.

Now back onto the car.

Sorry it's a bit picture heavy. That is the results, what do you guys think? I’m quite pleased myself. I don't think I will have cured the condesation problem but now I have the confidence to do the job again more thoroughly at some point and get the offside light done. Hopefully if you have been thinking of doing this yourself this will give you the confidence to have a go, it was alot easier than I thought it would be and I think was well worth the effort.

cool... but what kinda oven you used? you mean "microwave oven" but won't this lead to problem with the reflective chrome parts?

He means an oven bud, when saying "80" he means 80 degrees not 80% ;)

I'd love to see someone try to split a headlight with a microwave.

hahaha... you guys are so funny... imagine your wife opens the oven door and spotted a headlamp, then a Garett T88 turbine in the fridge and engine shortblock in the bathtub... LOL!

You've been to my house then :D

Cheers Jake, just trying to catch up with you on the improvment front mate. Buddy we will definatly have to catch up soon.

Will sort some pics. soon Alex. Go on go get it, you know it makes sense.

Good job. A pic of the front end from further away would help so you could compare the two lights!?

It's hard to really see the difference but you can see the flaking chrome on the left side and I don't think the refurbed right one looks too different to good chrome at a glance. You can see from the close up though why they need doing.

For Alex, enjoy mate.

Guest paul bell

Cracking job m8 im gonna do mine and spray the insert matte black. What sort of polish do you use to for the plastic face id heard plastx is good stuff

The plastic face wasn't that bad to be honest. I just polished it up inside and out with Simoniz colour restorer (T-Cut). I need to do the main body aswell really and was going to do mine black but having seperated the light I am going to do them in the origanal graphite or as near as I can get. The job is well worth doing though, 100% improvement to the look of the front. Good luck and post up your work.