The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT engine price

Guest Rsand85

Guest Rsand85

As per title whats the going rate for a decent complete TT engine minus the turbos and 6speed box?just trying to get an idea of costs,also will the 6spd manual box fit in an auto shell?cheers

Guest Rsand85

was planning making a custom loom that way dont have a heap of spare plugs hanging about plus i was wanting the fuse box in the center console also going with a stand alone system.

Guest Rsand85
I have a couple of spare TT engines (only) if your interested in making me an offer.

i would mate but nt planning buying to later in the year once the car is done and ready if i go buying an engine just now i will need to find a home!!!

Guest Rsand85
The tunnel will be the cheapest bit you buy! Good luck with the swap, its worth it, I can guarantee that!

yea i gathered that good to hear something positive from somebody thats done it though dont mind spending the money on it if its worth it cheers

im sure the 6-speed would be the more logical choice as it will take the TT power with ease, the w58 would probably be alright for a time but eventually im sure it would fail on the track. The getrag 6-speed is like £200303948595 these days (slight exaggeration) so maybe do some hunting

ok can anybody tell me what parts of the na engine and the TT engine are the same?and what the difference in the blocks are?cheers

Got this off club na-t not sure hopw accurate it is though: (http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=2765)

The basic differences between the GE and GTE (not comparing either VVTI editions):

-Most obvious difference to anyone familiar with engines is the TURBOS. The GE has none, thats what the 'T' in GTE means.

-Another is the style of intake manifold, the GE has a manifold developed for more torque development in the lower-part of the rpm band vs the GTE's short runner type. The GE doesnt have more torque; its just that it develops more than it would if it had a GTE-style intake manifold. Hope you knew that.

-Compression, the GE runs a 10:1 compression ratio and the GTE runs a 8.5:1 compression ratio. The differences are obtained through a thicker headgasket (.2mm for GE vs 1.6mm for GTE) and lower compression pistons on the GTE. The higher compression allows the GE motor to make the most of its power since it lacks turbos to begin with.

-Injectors and Airflow sensors, the GE runs 330cc top-feed high impedance Denso-style injectors and uses a Karman Vortex air-metering sensor to read how much air volume is being injested. The GTE runs 540cc side-feed low impedance injectors (though uses a resistor pak to raise the impedance for the ECU's sake)... measured through a hotwire MAF sensor. The GE's airflow restriction is around 450hp from the stock AFM and the GTE is around 650-700hp depending on several factors.

-The heads are slightly different. Some say the GE flows better than the GTE, though no concrete numbers have come from a flowbench to prove it. The GTE motor has larger intake ports on the head whereas the GE has larger exhaust ports on the head. You make your own decisions.

-The exhaust manifold and intake manifolds port spacing and studs are completely different and will not work with one another unless some machining is involved with the manifolds themselves. There are people who have successfully grafted the upper part of the GTE intake manifold onto the lower part of the GE manifold.

-The GE motor runs a distributor-based ignition system with spark plug wires and a single coil. The GTE runs coil-on-plug ignition with individual coils for every plug. The distributor gets in the way somestimes of the turbo intake pipe

These are just motor differences, there are many little others such as oil squirters, oil feed/return lines, transmissions, etc.

Now onto Similarities:

Both the GE and GTE bottom ends are VERY strong. The only difference being the pistons themselves. Thats right, the rods and crankshaft are the SAME parts!!! The 2jz motor itself was DESIGNED to be turbocharged from the beginning and is built VERY strongly from the factory. No one yet knows the limits of a GE setup, though there are several 1000whp setups on the GTE with the stock bottom-end. Dave H uses a GE motor and ran a 9sec 1/4 mile time with the stock GE block ( a spare 220k mile motor to be specific!)

All in all, it is very doubtful that you will need to build your motor when designing a NA-T setup unless you're gunning for ridiculous amounts of power. The stock cams are roughly the SAME.