The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Please help me piece together a budget turbo/fuel system

DaveD

I already have the supporting modifications such as good clutch, intercooler, exhaust, and so on.

I also own a MAP ECU which I just purchased.

Also I own a Precision 6265 turbo, also just purchased brand new.

So now that I go those parts I need the rest of the parts for turbo kit also fuel system.

I am working on a budget here which Is why I am buying part by part.

My goal is about 550rwhp RELIABLE daily driveable Supra.

I would also turn the boost down for like 500whp when I am just cruising around town.

My goal was to get a good turbo and I could get away with the rest like lots of people seem to do.

Anyone have experience with the ebay manifolds or downpipes? I have been reading that they seem to work fine for people.

There is also a site godspeedproject which has a cast T4 manifold for $350 USD.

I could also get the Tial or Precision wastegate suiteable for my power goals.

As for the fuel system will it be okay to run a single fuel pump? and I am thinking something like 660cc injectors?

I am looking to spend as least as I can but something that has been proven to work fine.

Any help and insight on parts would be helpful. Cheers.

Budget turbo kit and reliable dont really go together, if you want reliability do it once and properly :D

You dont need to spend a fortune on the fuel system, a single Walbro and some Power Enterprise drop in injectors is all thats needed and a decent fuel computer, I wouldnt use a MAP personally and would be looking at a 2nd hand replacement ECU if on a budget. 650cc would be OK upto approx 580fwhp but they would be pretty much maxed on that setup, I would recommend a min 800cc but you would have trouble controlling them with a piggyback.

As for the Turbo Kit, buy a complete kit minus the turbo unit itself, the money saved piecing it all together isnt worth it, I went this route a long long time ago and its still going strong, similar to you I sourced a turbo and then purchased the rest as a complete kit.

Cast manifolds are fine I run one myself, the best on the market is the Arnout unit but very rare.

Direct bolt on seem like less of a hassle.

Trust me, its a lot less hassle.

All the main suppliers of kits will do them minus a turbo, PHR, Whifbitz etc etc, most also offer a street kit which is sometimes based on a cast manifold and a bit cheaper ;)

As above, cant build cheap and expect reliabillity. Theres a cast manifold in the for sale section right now.

Wheel hp, why wheel hp? Thats around 650 and the fly, so you'll need bigger than 660 injectors. Plus doubt you'll push that power through a stock cat without EGTs rocketing, sports cat or decat is the way forward.

Budget turbo kit and reliable dont really go together, if you want reliability do it once and properly :D

You dont need to spend a fortune on the fuel system, a single Walbro and some Power Enterprise drop in injectors is all thats needed and a decent fuel computer, I wouldnt use a MAP personally and would be looking at a 2nd hand replacement ECU if on a budget. 650cc would be OK upto approx 580fwhp but they would be pretty much maxed on that setup, I would recommend a min 800cc but you would have trouble controlling them with a piggyback.

As for the Turbo Kit, buy a complete kit minus the turbo unit itself, the money saved piecing it all together isnt worth it, I went this route a long long time ago and its still going strong, similar to you I sourced a turbo and then purchased the rest as a complete kit.

Cast manifolds are fine I run one myself, the best on the market is the Arnout unit but very rare.

Good advice, it's really not worth doing a single turbo conversion on a budget, if you want reliability then use only quality parts and don't cut any corners.

Forget cheap Ebay parts, if you're on a budget then it'd be better to look around for a good quality second hand branded turbo kit.

What is your goal? Just the bhp increase?

Thought about maybe going hybrids so then you could run it more reliably at a higher boost? A LOT cheaper to do & reliable.

It can be done but the main thing is the reliability, from threads I have read & people I have spoken to, it is quite hit & miss.