The mkiv Supra Owners Club

solid engine mounts

Guest Rsand85

Guest Rsand85

i know there's a few on here probably using some form of solid mount system.Is there any advantage/disadvantages?or good/bad brands?its for a track car so not bothered about noise/vibration. cheers

I have the PHR engine mounts and TRD gearbox mounts.

At tickover it is a bit of a pain as the 6 speed box rattles even more than usual.:rolleyes:

However when you give it the beans it starts to make more sense as you can "feel" the engine revs and response through your fingers on the wheel and gear knob.:cool:

Guest Rsand85

Did a search and there was talk of gas/oil filled shock mounts seemed to get more praise than solid mounts but just wanted to hear from somebody that was running them.It was the PHR ones i was looking at to what power you running?cheers

Unless you have a car with a full weld in multi point cage you are just putting a lot of chassis torque and bump deflection into the block via the engine mounts. This may or may not stress it enough to deform it, or deform or crack the mounts. I wouldn't do it on anything short of a proper full on race car. You MUST MUST MUST also make the gearbox mount solid if you make the engine mountings solid. If you really want to fiddle in this area you might see if Vibra Technics list a mount set up for the car, they have just started doing Skyline ones. They are a LOT stiffer than stock, but still have compliance. Be assured the stock mounts are pretty clever, being silicone filled self damping affairs. Porsche started that idea with the 928, as a bit of pub trivia.

Guest Rsand85
Unless you have a car with a full weld in multi point cage you are just putting a lot of chassis torque and bump deflection into the block via the engine mounts. This may or may not stress it enough to deform it, or deform or crack the mounts. I wouldn't do it on anything short of a proper full on race car. You MUST MUST MUST also make the gearbox mount solid if you make the engine mountings solid. If you really want to fiddle in this area you might see if Vibra Technics list a mount set up for the car, they have just started doing Skyline ones. They are a LOT stiffer than stock, but still have compliance. Be assured the stock mounts are pretty clever, being silicone filled self damping affairs. Porsche started that idea with the 928, as a bit of pub trivia.

cheers that's the kind of info i was looking for Just wasnt sure if the solid mounts was worth the bother or if it was a bit of a waste of time as for roll cage its in process gone for something similar to this not to sure about the door bars though! http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?605834-Grand-Am-Spec-Roll-Cage-Install-in-my-Supra