The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Councils are crap

Fifty

:(

Just got a letter from the Council to say they wont pay for my wheels I damaged on the rock last month.

They say they inspected the road on June 1 1 th; thereby idemyifying them from any claim as this falls within the ststutory 13 week inspection period.

Are they bulshitting me?

Any other ideas of what I might do?

Fifty:eek:

:D

OK all; thanks for the link Jake; fancy you can sue who youlike on-line - marvellous!!

I'll have to do some checking on the legislation? anyone a lawyer? hehe.

Seems crackers; someone could have been killed. The typical response " not our responsibility", perhaps Ill refuse to pay Council Tax to cover it.

fIFTY

My girlfriend had a similar experience with south bucks council, which is still ongoing. She basically went over a pothole and damaged her front tyre. After writing to the council and filling in all of the forms, she eventually got a letter back from them stating that because the road in question was only recently serviced the council can not be held accountable for the damages to her car.

But she wrote back to the council saying it was an unacceptable response, and she required further proof that a) the road was recently serviced and b) that a suitable survey was carried out on that stretch of road which would indicate that only 1 monthly servicing was enough. (or in your case 13 weeks)

Then she mentioned taking this further to the Highways Agency (complaints department) and local to the ombudsman (who deals with poor council services [you can get the name of your local ombudsman of the internet - I can't remember the website name off hand - try google]) if they didn't reconsider their position and provide a more satisfactory response.

The latest letter received stated that they are investigating the incidence further and will be in contact shortly.

From what you are saying I would suggest that your council is just trying it on and I would push for further information and drop in a few important names like your local ombudsman. You never know it may work

dont take no for an answer, they will deny responsibility until you start to take legal proceedings. I pushed hard, took photos, and the lawyer of the council even had the balls to say I was a wreckless driver, so I scribbled some notes on the letter they sent with words such as defamation, inaccurate, misleading etc and they must have thought it was from a lawyer!!

I then applied to small claims, £60 to register, and then they decided to settle out of court including costs.

took a few months but the feeling was of satisfaction!!