The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Custom Rear Bumper Idea

Noz

Morning all (and merry Xmas :D)

When collecting my car from london last week, some idiot drove into my rear. Needless to say, I'll need a new bumper.

My current bumper has the word Supra cut out and fog lights are located behind it. It's not the true Supra logo, but is still an interesting font and always grabs me comments from most people about how different it is and how people like it.

A sutle mod I would like to keep, so I'm going to transfer this into a new bumper, so the new bumper will need prep work and spraying.

A while ago I thought about what modification to the rear bumper I could do, as I'd like a diffuser but being so low most of the fibreglass ebay specials and autoshine ones aren't an option. I like the do-luck one but I fancy something different.

The logo is sutle, so I'd like to keep it sutle as well. I was thinking, about a selection (4 or 5) vortex generators located on the bumper and mounted in, fulled blended and sprayed. Anyone ever done this before or opinions how it might look?

This was the kind of thing I was looking at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VORTEX-GENERATOR-FINS-Universal-Roof-Spoiler-Fin-Set-/230453773621?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35a81d8535

They will be very small and will just be for something different rather than an actual improvement for performance. Any opinions? :D

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Hi mate, nice to see something different with a logo on the rear bumper but I think i would rather have it without to be honest ...

I see what your trying to do with the bumper blades but IMO I think they will be to small .... I would stick a Trail on her mate, I don't think the Trail bumper is that low, If it is can't you modify the the Trail so the blades are not as low ????

Do you have any better pics of the rear ?

nice to see you are trying something new. credit to you,

IMO I'm not a lover of the text but I think its mainly because of the font, it seems a little ott but thats just my opinion.

as for the little evo like fins I think they will be a little to small again just my opinion, depending where you want them that is. Why dont you go full custom and build all of the fins etc from scratch.

That bad boy is gagging for a trial rear :cool:

Not a fan of the cut out text either but surprisingly does look quite good.

As mentioned don't think the Vortex fins would compliment the shape of the rear. Might be worth making getting it photoshopped or drawing it to get an idea of what it looks like but the image in my head with that stock bumper makes it look odd. The side spats will throw it out of shape as well as the stock bumper. If you were doing it with a trial bumper though you could maybe get away with it (again from the image I have in my head).

nice to see you are trying something new. credit to you,

IMO I'm not a lover of the text but I think its mainly because of the font, it seems a little ott but thats just my opinion.

as for the little evo like fins I think they will be a little to small again just my opinion, depending where you want them that is. Why dont you go full custom and build all of the fins etc from scratch.

The fins are probably too small, and your idea was my first thought, but moulding in fins already made would cut alot of hassle. I actually thought about designing them in 3D, and having them made with our 3D printer and work and just painting the material with fibreglass resin to give it strength.

I think your idea would work better mate and make it from scratch.

I was a bit undecided on the text when I bought the car and did consider selling it, but I've grown to like it, but I was never too sure on what to do. Look like I'll be buying some electronic components and installing my fog into my lights now then :cool:

That bad boy is gagging for a trial rear :cool:

Not a fan of the cut out text either but surprisingly does look quite good.

As mentioned don't think the Vortex fins would compliment the shape of the rear. Might be worth making getting it photoshopped or drawing it to get an idea of what it looks like but the image in my head with that stock bumper makes it look odd. The side spats will throw it out of shape as well as the stock bumper. If you were doing it with a trial bumper though you could maybe get away with it (again from the image I have in my head).

I'd love a trial rear mate but I just don't want to follow the crowd. If I got a trial I'd be tempted to remove the diffuser completely.

The fins are probably too small, and your idea was my first thought, but moulding in fins already made would cut alot of hassle. I actually thought about designing them in 3D, and having them made with our 3D printer and work and just painting the material with fibreglass resin to give it strength.

I think your idea would work better mate and make it from scratch.

I was a bit undecided on the text when I bought the car and did consider selling it, but I've grown to like it, but I was never too sure on what to do. Look like I'll be buying some electronic components and installing my fog into my lights now then :cool:

what look exactly are you trying to achieve? do you have an example on another car?

Why dont you go for some new spats like to doluck ones and then mold some fins in the gap where the diffuser would go. That way you could make it look different but not ott plus it would follow the lines of the spats, just an idea...

some examples of the spats, but the do have the diffuser to

http://www.japanerimport.dk/Billeder/fullsize/2560.jpg

http://kismo.dk/Previous%20cars/Supra/Supra%20(10).JPG

I like the cutout...

But maybe if you got some black tinted glass/plastic and made it sit flush with the cutout so that it looked like a smooth bumper... and still have the fog light behind it....

Might not be practical or to your taste, but if I have a black one i'd do it. If I knew how ;)

Why dont you go for some new spats like to doluck ones and then mold some fins in the gap where the diffuser would go. That way you could make it look different but not ott plus it would follow the lines of the spats, just an idea...

some examples of the spats, but the do have the diffuser to

http://www.japanerimport.dk/Billeder/fullsize/2560.jpg

http://kismo.dk/Previous%20cars/Supra/Supra%20(10).JPG

Modifying the do luck diffuser was actually on the cards at one point mate! Was going to get a replica off ebay and just work on it with ideas when I got it. I wanted to smooth the inside edges of the small fin each side, maybe that is the better option rather than modifying a bumper. That would save me money, as I could just get a black bumper. Hmmm decisions, the trial rear is nice though, I think without the diffuser it would look nice, though it probably looks better with it left alone.