The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Well... im not going to say it... but...

Guigsy

The thing is, when Toyota designed and produced the Supra, they did it in response to the Nissan 300ZX (as the car they were going to produce was scrapped when they heard about the Nissan) and what they produced was something that, even 18 years after its release, is still considered pretty unique and uncompromising, taking all aspects of the 300 into consideration and blowing it out of the water. It encompassed technology that was not seen in many cars of that era and bucked the trend in that it was astronomically expensive for a Toyota (about £37K for a UK spec in 93 and £42K in 96) which put it in a territory and market far beyond anything that Toyota had produced before (and since). The LFA is only similar in the pricing but, to many (and me included) just seems like a stupidly expensive Nissan GTR wannabe and jumping on a bandwagon that arrived at the station an hour after most people had left.

To produce a true successor to the Supra, Toyota, to my mind, need to revisit the mindset of 1992 and throw some caution to the wind. Be daring, be different, be controversial and design a car that encompasses everything that the Supra was (and is). A GT, cross-continent, cruiser that looks stunning, goes like stink, is focused on the driver (and driving, even if corners were always a talking point) and raises 2 fingers to the PC, lentil-chewing, hybrid-loving, ozone-protecting ne'er do wells that seem to govern most aspects of our lives.

In 1993 the Supra looked like nothing else on earth. Even today, it still drops jaws. The LFA doesn't do that and never will. It's too dull. The Supra has soul, character, identity and an attitude. Nothing they have produced since has any of that because they're too scared of upsetting the Daily Mail-type masses that say we're killing the planet.

And until Toyota is driven by designers and engineers again, and not by accountants, the MKV Supra will always be an automotive fantasy.

Edited by ellis (see edit history)

The thing is, when Toyota designed and produced the Supra, they did it in response to the Nissan 300ZX (as the car they were going to produce was scrapped when they heard about the Nissan) and what they produced was something that, even 18 years after its release, is still considered pretty unique and uncompromising, taking all aspects of the 300 into consideration and blowing it out of the water. It encompassed technology that was not seen in many cars of that era and bucked the trend in that it was astronomically expensive for a Toyota (about £37K for a UK spec in 93 and £42K in 96) which put it in a territory and market far beyond anything that Toyota had produced before (and since). The LFA is only similar in the pricing but, to many (and me included) just seems like a stupidly expensive Nissan GTR wannabe and jumping on a bandwagon that arrived at the station an hour after most people had left.

To produce a true successor to the Supra, Toyota, to my mind, need to revisit the mindset of 1992 and throw some caution to the wind. Be daring, be different, be controversial and design a car that encompasses everything that the Supra was (and is). A GT, cross-continent, cruiser that looks stunning, goes like stink, is focused on the driver (and driving, even if corners were always a talking point) and raises 2 fingers to the PC, lentil-chewing, hybrid-loving, ozone-protecting ne'er do wells that seem to govern most aspects of our lives.

In 1993 the Supra looked like nothing else on earth. Even today, it still drops jaws. The LFA doesn't do that and never will. It's too dull. The Supra has soul, character, identity and an attitude. Nothing they have produced since has any of that because they're too scared of upsetting the Daily Mail-type masses that say we're killing the planet.

And until Toyota is driven by designers and engineers again, and not by accountants, the MKV Supra will always be an automotive fantasy.

Brilliant post, if they put the Supra badge on anything less it would be a great travesty. But IMO sometimes its good to let a great icon such as the Supra be laid to rest rather than trying to squeeze another sequel out.

Great post Ellis. But i do think the LFA is rather tasty and would never say no to one.

This concept however, is as ugly as sin IMO. Thankfully, concept designs change drastically before production models (if of course, this is really heading for a future line of production).

Hybrid engine producing 400bhp.

No please no! We want 3JZ GTE inside ;)

so essentially that would be a 3.5litre big twin turbo setup? approx 550hp.........? when u see the progree, 1jz, 2jz.........

i think its a fantastic looking car, agree with Abz on the grill, not sure whether i hate it or love it but i think in black it would look the dogs berrys.

What a cracking post! absolutely hit the nail on the head. this ellis fella isnt as stupid as we all seem to think LOL

In my opinion and from research that i did over the years, as Ellis stated many believe that Skyline GTR was the main competitor for the supra but really the supra was designed to wipe the floor with the 300zx. toyota is like sony playstation. everyone knows theres competition and rather than rushing, saying we got their first and cocking it up like nissan, toyota wait, see whats to offer and then make sure they make something special. now like the xbox 360, nissan couldnt wait to get it out the door as the definitive top japanese sports car, however like the ps3 toyota took their time and created essentially a car that at the time could take on porsches and win for less than half the price. if you compare every single component of the supra vs the skyline, every single mechanical piece of the supra is a lot stronger, engine, gearbox, prop, diff. lets face it, toyota have a mamouth task in front of them making a mkV sup but if they do, honestly it will be another mark in history, either the mkiv all over again or a disaster. It needs to put the GTR to rest which seen as good as the new GTR is wont be easy, however the GTR isnt as reliable as it should be, rushed as usual, this im sure is what toyota will exploit to their full advantage. its needs to be put in jeremy clarksons hands, put a huge smile on his face and take an almighty beating beyond belief and smile back. toyota makes enough hybrid cars etc. i think they need to get a lil drunk before hand, stick two fingers at green peace, throw the hybrid engine in the bin and experiment with something new, maybe a triple turbo charged engine or a quad turbo engine that human beings can actually afford.

in the motoring world i think the supra had another ace up its sleve that even uptill today other manufacturers are struggling with. Reliability. its the only car that is actually over engineered. the cars what 350hp stock, yet the block and gearbox can handle 700hp? when i had my single turbo sup, me and a friend went out one night me in my car and him in a new M3, one night of erm spirited driving and my cars like as if ive just started it, his car, traction control light on, ABS light on and in the morning he had an engine management light on. 1994 supra vs a 2007 bmw..............

Edited by adnanshah247 (see edit history)

Ellis what an emotional & fantastic post!

Though the LFA was created for a niche market, it is unrelated to the Supra & just show manufactures, we have never built Super Cars before but look what we could do, so be scared.

They sold out the LFA on launch, not the quickest car for £300k it fails into the category of Ascari/Zonda/Koningsegg (price wise). Personally it is a odd but striking car, over priced yes but no doubt one of the best sounding & technology advance cars out there.

but u hate everything :D:D:D

only kidding but seriously care to share why?

Front grill is incredibly tacky, front end too fussy in general. Wheels terrible, and too big. Wing mirrors look like they're on some crappy little stalk. And why is the windscreen higher than the side windows?

But if they do make it, it'll not look anything like that anyway...