The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Things that go bump in the night... or in this case, when going through diesel

MVP

Sadly, I ended up in a bit of an accident at the start of Dec and my pride and joy was hurt. More annoyingly, this accident occurred at about 40-45MPH whilst driving in slow traffic. Went to go past a lorry in the middle lane and hit a patch of what I assume was diesel, car just slides and the front end flicks towards the back wheels of the 18 wheeler, I manage to counter it, but not as the car continues into the central reserve. Pride heals, the car doesn't!

Thankfully the lorry driver saw me in the side mirror and pulled over to offer assistance. Said he was spinning up as well, so I didn't feel like such a knob. Gave me his details and went on his way - thumbs up to him for being a nice guy!

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4277/img0188copyn.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/1313/img0189ie.jpg

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4552/img0190ka.jpg

Local body shop said its £3600 worth of damage, which I cannot see myself. 99.9% sure the insurer will write her off :-(

As mentioned it does look too bad, the front wing is easily replaced. As is the bumper & bonnet at a decent price.

The biggest cost will be the repair of the rear quarter panel.

Insurance company will no doubt write it off, or quote £9,000 to fix it.

I will get the complete list of repairs and let you guys analyse! I don't think anything major went boom, mainly cosmetic. Still, v annoying and having to amble around in the missus 147 which isn't quite the same.

so thats why your looking for all the parts lol

doesnt look too bad fella

That's the one fella!

Diesel on the road you say eh.....

You, like many others, don't believe me. The sad truth is it was the truth. You are not at your best when doing 40 and just ambling along... so it was a bit of a shock when the car just kept moving at 45 degree no matter what!

I will get the complete list of repairs and let you guys analyse! I don't think anything major went boom, mainly cosmetic. Still, v annoying and having to amble around in the missus 147 which isn't quite the same.

That's the one fella!

You, like many others, don't believe me. The sad truth is it was the truth. You are not at your best when doing 40 and just ambling along... so it was a bit of a shock when the car just kept moving at 45 degree no matter what!

Don't mind me mate, it's just I've heard so many stories where people have crashed their cars because of oil/diesel/muck/leaves on roads, when in essence they've not been driving appropriately for the conditions and smashed up their car. If there actually was diesel there, then it's seriously bad luck mate and I hope you get it fixed up soon!

As said before, the damage doesn't look too bad, so hopefully you'll get it all sorted pronto! :)

Edited by nige-rz (see edit history)

3600 for that! I smashed my front end bent the bonnet and the work was 1000. Parts maybe 2000.

That rear quater is the hard bit tho. Defo a write off insurance wise

My car needed both headlights. (Glass) a few hundred and most expensive bits, new. A wing £50. Bumper £50 Inc indicators £20. Crash bar. £20. slam panel new 100 ish. and a few other bits, new intercooler pipe, bulbs, intercooler welding up.

Well the insurer has come back to me with an offer and I think I might keep salvage and sell. Pretty gutted, but I need something now as I used if daily for work and have borrowed the partners Alfa since.

If you're interested please send me a PM with an offer.

Few extra details:

It's 117,101 km on the clock, manual, full ss exhaust (sounds beautiful), rims, induction and alpine headunit. It's also got MOT until Sept 2012. Few months tax but I may claim this back.