The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why choose a Supra over any other car?

Pero

I'm sure some of you know I don't own a Supra. I've always loved them, and came pretty close to buying one, so I registered here.

I do come on here and have a read every once in a while, and the Supra is always in the back of my mind.

I own a Fiat Coupe 20 valve turbo, which I've put a lot of time and money into. It's currently got the potential to do around 600bhp, but it's not completely done and still needs to be remapped.

This is what I've always wondered. What's it like owning a Supra? I'm more interested in the big power cars.

I know owning any modified car costs a lot to run, but what do you spend on the Supe and how reliable are they?

To give you an idea, I've owned my Coupe for just over a year, and I've already spent over £12k on it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reliability and dynamic ability will will blow your Fiat right into the weeds, but if you get serious with it then so will the bills.

I spent over £50k on my car in the five or six years I had it, and mine ended up with 'only' around 600bhp. It was by far the best car I've ever had and one day I will have another.

The shape wins it for me everytime, the smooth flowing arches at the back and the sexy stock spoiler... there is not a better car to follow on the road than a supra, its eye candy.

Then whack 500-1000 ponies under the bonnet and things get interesting.

Costs start to get serious going for power though ^^ as above im into mega bucks and im only building a 600bhp spec supra

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

I'm sure some of you know I don't own a Supra. I've always loved them, and came pretty close to buying one, so I registered here.

I do come on here and have a read every once in a while, and the Supra is always in the back of my mind.

I own a Fiat Coupe 20 valve turbo, which I've put a lot of time and money into. It's currently got the potential to do around 600bhp, but it's not completely done and still needs to be remapped.

This is what I've always wondered. What's it like owning a Supra? I'm more interested in the big power cars.

I know owning any modified car costs a lot to run, but what do you spend on the Supe and how reliable are they?

To give you an idea, I've owned my Coupe for just over a year, and I've already spent over £12k on it.

Some people spend less than the basic amounts, others spend more than is required. Everyone else is somewhere in the middle. However, if you tally up my spend on my Twins in the last 18 months, you're nudging close to £20k.

If you look at someone like JamieP, then you can double that, easily.

If you want a stock car, and stock running costs, it's not TOO bad. Fuel will be your main cost. But, then you're limited by your wallet as to what you want to spend.

The nice width of the car makes you feel like your driving something special. Not every car is so wide and so long, its just something different.

Everyone has different reasons why they love these cars.

I was looking at skylines at the same time when I bought my NA, I was looking at the GTS-T's as I wanted a 90's spec RWD, and when I was unsure which car to buy so compared 2 pictures of both cars, thinking about being in the Supra won over anything else.

They are pretty reliable, depending on how you treat them. But the blocks are pretty bullet proof. Do the right modifications and you can push whatever power you choose. DaveH on US forums ran a 7.77 on an NA-T, showing how strong the blocks are thats some serious meat!

That's just the thing. For relatively little money, you can make my car very fast and reliable.

I'm sure if you put a 600bhp supra up against a 600bhp Coupe, the Supra would struggle to keep up as the Coupe is so light.

I love the look of Supras and they have incredible street presence, but I also love the understated look of the Coupe. No one expects it to be quick, but what a shock you give them. :)

I'm sure if you put a 600bhp supra up against a 600bhp Coupe, the Supra would struggle to keep up as the Coupe is so light.

Now I understand you like your Fiat, but in the real world the Supra should be quicker and a lot more fun. There isn't that much weight difference in it and FWD with 600bhp is beyond pointless :)

That's just the thing. For relatively little money, you can make my car very fast and reliable.

I love the look of Supras and they have incredible street presence, but I also love the understated look of the Coupe. No one expects it to be quick, but what a shock you give them. :)

A good selection of supra's pushing 600+ have syvecs traction control and wide rears, i think you under estimate the supra because of its size :)

you can get a stock supra to bpu for under £1,000 which is about 400bhp, if you want more then you spend more like any other car, but the supra will be so much more reliable

its down to taste as well i like the look and the cock pit that wraps around the driver is great its all about the driver with this car as the other seats are not that great to sit in

600bhp through the front wheels is looking for trouble. Power from the rear, steer through the front. Perfect. :)

My work colleague here used to own a Fiat Coupe 20v turbo, and he was always holding the panic handle in mine, I never had to in his. It was never that much of a rush.

Mine's only a BPU TT too, but still running nearly 400bhp. Fantastically reliable too.

Reliability and dynamic ability will will blow your Fiat right into the weeds, but if you get serious with it then so will the bills.

I spent over £50k on my car in the five or six years I had it, and mine ended up with 'only' around 600bhp. It was by far the best car I've ever had and one day I will have another.

How did you only end up with 600bhp From spending over £50k??

How did you only end up with 600bhp From spending over £50k??

Had a few issues along the way mate. Also, sure it was only that much but 1) I used every single bhp, 2) it was as reliable as a 1.0-litre Yaris and 3) is was set up to be used hard on race tracks with noise restrictions.

why buy a supra over a fiat coupe is same as comparing pippa middleton's rear to that of a page 3 model! a page 3 model might have a better rear, but when it comes to which one made the headlines.....it's PIPPA :p

That's just the thing. For relatively little money, you can make my car very fast and reliable

Sorry, I must have misread somewhere... I'm sure you said your car was a Fiat...

EXACTLY............no need to spend money on a supra to make it reliable :D

I'm clearly in the minority here. :D

I'll forgive you guys for defending your Supras - I'd do the same thing on the Fiat forum. ;)

I guess one way of settling 'who is faster' is to come to a Supra meet and put it to the test.

Also, mine has a new fully forged engine which means she will be more reliable than when she rolled off the production line. ;)

Makes me think about Time Attack at Knockhill in 2010. I'm sure you know the guy who has the Red Fiat Coupe race car?

He spent all of Friday trying to make it run right, most of Saturday doing the same and then it lasted 2 or 3 laps before it needed fixing again!

I think he was only running about 400bhp but it seemed a tad tempramental.

Anyway, if you like it and are pleased with it, who cares about anyone else?

My Supra is a weekend toy, nothing more. Couldnt cope with it as my only car.

i decided on a tt supra because to go from 325 bhp to 400 is very cheap. to get 400bhp from any of the other cars i was looking at would of cost a fortune!

ive used it every day for around 4 months and its been perfect!

everybody looks at it even though its stock!

it also has a pretty quick 0 to 60 time for a stock car im guessing the massive back wheels help that!

not to mention its an iconic car! and getting rarer by the year! i feel special when im in it i dont think any other car makes u smile like the supra does :)