The mkiv Supra Owners Club

are all supras the same

pauld36

hi question not quite as stupid as title suggests [hopefully].

apart from the tunnel difference between manual/auto is there any difference in the shell/floor on any of the various models around.

im looking to start a new project from scratch and im going to go big power so was wondering if structually there was any difference between uk tt and a n/a auto import .

thanks in advance

If your going big power then I'd get a car with the correct engine and gearbox to start with. Unless you like wasting money on changing the na engine and geerbox and dif and prop etc anyway :p

You can pick up a rough auto for 2000 or less and a tt 6 for arround 6000?

Considering a 2nd hand 6 speed is going to be in the region of 3k and a tt engine 1.5-2k then the rest of the bits 1k more if you want the big diff.

It's cheaper to get the more expensive base car

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

hi question not quite as stupid as title suggests [hopefully].

apart from the tunnel difference between manual/auto is there any difference in the shell/floor on any of the various models around.

im looking to start a new project from scratch and im going to go big power so was wondering if structually there was any difference between uk tt and a n/a auto import .

thanks in advance

from what i've learned / been told while working on my project (still in begining - car has been stripped, and i am collecting parts now days :D)

vvti engines might have compatibility issues with some of the performance modifictions but apart from that, chassis and body is same on all models (as far as i know). Interior wise, facelift and prefacelift dash will only take facelift and prefacelift speedo and analogue/digital clocks respectively. facelift front fenders (wings) dont have the little square cutouts for side repeaters as compared to facelift ones which do have them.

Of course, manual conversion will require an additional pedal (clutch) as well as different speedo. there are small hinges/mounts underneath the handbrake surround panel which are required for reason which i dont know :S

I heard that the early cars have thicker metal than the facelifts, so stronger - but heavier also!

so the question is strong and heavy :eyebrows: versus light and weaker? :innocent:

Also auto tachos are different to manuals but ASFAIK the speedos are the same with just the UK different as it is in MPH and all the others are in K/ph and just pre or facelift versions

Edited by Tee from China (see edit history)

He is interested in the chasis differences not if the speedo is in mph or kph ;). I've also heard the metal thickness thing. Not sure it makes much difference tbh. Facelift cars seem to be flawed in some ways but better in others. The carpet is nicer. But the boot don't open from inside the car properly for example

He is interested in the chasis differences not if the speedo is in mph or kph ;). I've also heard the metal thickness thing. Not sure it makes much difference tbh. Facelift cars seem to be flawed in some ways but better in others. The carpet is nicer. But the boot don't open from inside the car properly for example

are you sure that the boot doesnt open on the facelift from inside properly on facelifts? my mate had one and we never had any issues with it

Yeah. Pretty much. I had a 98 facelift and the boot wouldn't open properly unless I pulled the lever twice or pulled it hard or pulled it for longer than normal. Quite a few others reported the same thing. I think someone worked out they changed supplier for the gas struts. Fit pre facelift ones and the boot opens ok iirc. Also my old cars boot would struggle to stay up with a trd spoiler. On my uk and my non facelift jspec it's fine :)

my bad - sorry