The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Very undecided if I should sell my car or not. Please give your insight.

DaveD

I own a January build 1995 SZ 5-speed Supra. I purchashed the car from Japan under the impression that it was an RZ. The seller lied to me since it was just a swap.

What the car has a 2JZ-GTE swap and V160 6-speed transmission. It still has the original rear differential... but the driveshaft must have been changed to make that work of course. I have no idea on the swap... the mileage and so on.

Here is what still needs to be done and some of the current problems:

- Need to upgrade to bigger TT brakes

- Change differential to 3.26 gearing ratio

- Car speedo and ODO are way off, I also assume the wiring harness is a hack job like the rest of everything else

- Car has a high idle problem. When I adjust the bolt on the throttle body so it idles at 900... then it runs okay for a while but then the idles fall down to 400 sometimes and Alternator voltage is V10.5-11.

- My mechanic said there may be some engine leak due to oil in the spark plugs

- The transmission rear has a small leak.

- Rebuit vehicle. Left quarter pannel is all bondo, front end hood fitment is bad, some noticeable frame damage since a front strut bar will not fit (its too long).

- Car could use a full paint job... paint is ok but eventually will need it since it isn't the greatest.

So those are my current problems.

Lets say I get the mechanical issues fixed and the rest of the parts to complete TT swap... should or will the vehicle preform like a genuine TT Supra. Something about it not being genuine just makes me not confident in the car.... If I had money to blow I'm sure I would make it all perfect but that's not the case!

Would it worth just to get rid of the car and start fresh with a stock non accident TT 6-speed RZ. All the problems on my car just make my heard hurt. I am not sure if its worth to invest my time into this money pit which will not leave me fully satisfied at the end. To leave me fully satisifed I would probably have to spend enough money into it which would buy me a nice new RZ alone!!

Edited by DaveD (see edit history)

Nope.

I actually do not reside in the UK at the moment, I am living in Canada. I had it brought over from Japan.

I guess you live and learn. I just wanted to see if it it would be just be better to sell my car and start fresh from a genuine RZ TT 6-speed.

This is the 3rd Supra I have owned, and I haven't been fully satisfied with any to be honest. I want to just get one and keep it for a long time and build it up mint. I am not sure if its going to be worth fixing mine. It will be lots of money.

How does the car drive? and did you get a good deal for it?

The reason I ask is buying a genuine RZ can not promise you it will be 100%, example some idle issues, small oil leaks.

Only way you can reduce that risk is buying as low as mileage as possible with a good history (and top dollar too).

Also the bigger brakes weren't TT brakes, they came on the UK Spec's and were an optional extra on imports.

If it is a total dog then break it, you should get a decent amount of your money back with it having a TT lump and 6 speed box. :)

As Abz said, big brakes are optional for import Supras. Diff is 3.75 I think... 3.26 is only for UK, EU and US spec I think. So maybe your car is actually RZ-S... Are you sure it's a SZ-R with a TT swap? What does the VIN number say? What about the plate in the engine bay? Can you make a shot of the fusebox and the upper and lower fusebox connectors? Do you have a traction button on the central console or traction at all?

The car should idle at 1000+ for a while (while cold) and then drop to ~600-700 rpm. So dropping down the idle to 900 (when cold) would do just this - about 400 as it gets hot...

About the oil leakage, this might be just oil spill when changing oil, or just the cam cover gaskets (which is pretty easy fix).

The transmission rear leak is pretty normal, trust me... all V160/161 have this problem (except the new ones :D ). Mine did too, although working just fine. Changed the oil seals and it's all good now.

Edited by EMPEROR (see edit history)

How does the car drive? and did you get a good deal for it?

The reason I ask is buying a genuine RZ can not promise you it will be 100%, example some idle issues, small oil leaks.

Only way you can reduce that risk is buying as low as mileage as possible with a good history (and top dollar too).

Also the bigger brakes weren't TT brakes, they came on the UK Spec's and were an optional extra on imports.

If it is a total dog then break it, you should get a decent amount of your money back with it having a TT lump and 6 speed box. :)

Initially I thought I was getting a good deal. if it was a genuine RZ without that many problems then yes it would have been a pretty good deal considering it has a BIG list of quality BPU mods.

but right off the bat I had to spend a lot of money on new flywheel, clutch kit, tranny/clutch parts, engine parts, radiator with fans... so after parts/labour it all adds up quick. Plus there is more.

It does drive good, the driveability is smooth and nice. But it still has all of what I mentioned.

I have some interested buyers and I am being upfront with them about everything. I'll see if I can sell it.

As Abz said, big brakes are optional for import Supras. Diff is 3.75 I think... 3.26 is only for UK, EU and US spec I think. So maybe your car is actually RZ-S... Are you sure it's a SZ-R with a TT swap? What does the VIN number say? What about the plate in the engine bay? Can you make a shot of the fusebox and the upper and lower fusebox connectors? Do you have a traction button on the central console or traction at all?

The car should idle at 1000+ for a while (while cold) and then drop to ~600-700 rpm. So dropping down the idle to 900 (when cold) would do just this - about 400 as it gets hot...

About the oil leakage, this might be just oil spill when changing oil, or just the cam cover gaskets (which is pretty easy fix).

The transmission rear leak is pretty normal, trust me... all V160/161 have this problem (except the new ones :D ). Mine did too, although working just fine. Changed the oil seals and it's all good now.

100% it was NA and swap.. and the gear ratio would be 4.03 since it was 5-speed before.

My guess is that it was wrecked and then someone bought it and did the swap.

It also has an automatic TT dash cluster.

here is a picture of the VIN tag:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9789/22222cf.jpg

Manual NA with an engine/box swap.

Its not an RZ or RZ-S - its an SZ.

You are better stripping the car and scrapping the shell if its as bad as you say. Buy a tidy/cheap NA and fit the engine and box and you will have a nice car with lots of spares available to yourself.

If you want an RZ imo, you are chasing the RZ badge that exists nowhere but your logbook - just buy an NA and fit UK brakes, the TT engine 6 speed box, and buy the diff that you want.

Manual NA with an engine/box swap.

Its not an RZ or RZ-S - its an SZ.

You are better stripping the car and scrapping the shell if its as bad as you say. Buy a tidy/cheap NA and fit the engine and box and you will have a nice car with lots of spares available to yourself.

If you want an RZ imo, you are chasing the RZ badge that exists nowhere but your logbook - just buy an NA and fit UK brakes, the TT engine 6 speed box, and buy the diff that you want.

It seems like the swap would come out more expesive though?

well I will have to see what I come up with.

I have been considering getting a SZ-R 6-speed and doing the Aristo swap.

I thought you already have an engine and box?

there was an aerotop shell for sale here not so long ago - you could have even used that to put your engine and box in.

thats what i'd do buy a rolling shell there is one going for £1000 on here (black aerotop iirc) then get to work, you have a TT lump and a 6 speed box and endless spares so id turn your negative bad luck into a massive positive. think of the satisfaction you would get. TT lump and a 6 speed box is a great start.

I just put down a non refundable deposit on a Supra in Japan.

It's a 1996 series 1 RZ TT 6-speed. 121,000 KMs. Very nice and has some nice goodies :)

the only thing is the front end chassis needs to be be realighned to factory specs since you could tell the hood is not sitting properly. I'm sure getting the front chassis repaired properly will be cheaper than getting a SZ and swapping everything over.

I am working on a couple deals with my car at the moment. Once its sold I'll have a new one on the way :)