The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FAO: TomTom Navigator users

Jake

Originally posted by Jive

Great find Jake :thumbs:

Have you had any trouble installing it and have you tested it out yet?

Note : Haven't checked the date and time you posted this :D

I can't install anything at the moment. For some reason my iPAQ isn't been recognized by it's cradle :(

Originally posted by Justin

On the subject of Tom Tom with PDA is it good enough? Ie does it work well in built up areas? Does anyone use a compact flash GPS?

It works really well mate. I've been very impressed with it since I got it last december.

Let me know if you'd like an 'evaluation' copy to try before you buy. :eyebrows:

Originally posted by SkyJawa

I use wired gps so can't comment there!

Wired? I thought he was talking about the storage media type of the PocketPC?

My iPAQ 4350 uses SD cards for data storage and Bluetooth to comunicate with the GPS receiver, so I can't answer the CF question either.

I've used TomTom 2 and 3 and never been lost since I got it.

It's even good on a journey where you already know the way, as it tells you at what time you'll arrive (though when I'm in the supra, I always get there earlier than it estimates, for some reason :innocent: )

And it tells you what direction is coming up, so you can overtake as many cars as possible before getting back into the correct lane :)

The only bad point - they should have made an effort to get a sexier voice. She sounds a bit middle-aged :p Maybe that will be in TomTom 4.

James.

Originally posted by JamesG

The only bad point - they should have made an effort to get a sexier voice. She sounds a bit middle-aged :p Maybe that will be in TomTom 4.

Actually there's several different voice packs you can download and use. I'll see if I can find the link for you.

Also, you can record your own if you want!

Just got round to installing it, have checked the postcode database on a place that I know first to make sure it displays on the map correctly and it was spot on :)

I'm now off to Havant, Locks Heath, Whitely and then I'll try home and see how it goes, report back later :)

Oh and I've got mine wired at the moment, looks a bit naff with wires across the dashboard and really want to get it wired behind but haven't got round to it at the moment. I'll go take a pic now and post up later :D

Ok, after an initial cockup with the program, ie once the postcode was input - TomTom decided to clear the route marker which I wasn't too happy about, especially as I was driving and couldn't work out how to get it back without pulling over ... doh!

One thing I have found is that if I put the postcode in and select Navigate to - TomTom changes back to the 3D map and then locks up, so I've got to select it to display on the map and then select set as destination from there :(

Anyhoo, it worked perfectly well and I was very impressed :)

Couple of pictures of my GPS setup.

gps01.jpg

One thing I have found is that if I put the postcode in and select Navigate to - TomTom changes back to the 3D map and then locks up, so I've got to select it to display on the map and then select set as destination from there

That's odd, my doesn't do that.

Picture from the passenger side, showing the cable mess

That is a bit of a mess. My iPAQ and GPS receiver are in the same positions as yours but my wiring is a bit tidier. What I've done with mine is to hide as much of the wiring behind the dash and the panel above where your shins are. There's just a few inches of wire showing from the Ciggy lighter and a few more where the lead goes to the iPAQ, the lead to the GPS is totally hidden. This pic might explain it better (Green dots are the iPAQ cable, yellow is the GPS cable):

(Click thumbnail to enlarge)

http://img8.exs.cx/img8/8162/4171.th.jpg