The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1993 J-spec Supra starting problem

WayneW

Hallo boys and girls.

My name is Jérémy and I'm from Belgium.

First of all sorry for my poor english :p

I'm the owner of a J-spec Supra mkiv for 1 1/2 years now.

Never had any problem with my 180.000Km - 2JZ-GTE until for a few days now.

After several weeks (2 month max) standing in a garage (cold because of the hard winter here...) without any start I decided to wake up the car ... but with a lot of pain...

The car start every 20 or 30 try with very low idle ( ~400 tr/min ) and I have to let the car running for ~2min if I want to use the throttle without that the engine block himself... After that I can rev the car very easy.

At warm t° the car start up like before, without any problem on the first try.

Is it possible that the EGR valve at cold t° became problematic ?

Is it possible that the injectors are to dirty/old for these t° ?

I thank you for your answers !

Weynand Jérémy.

Has the battery been disconnected or run out of charge? If it has the ECU will have been reset, when the ECU is reset the engine will run quite lumpy and not idle properly, it'll need a few km's until it runs okay again.

If it's not that then it could be moisture in the electrics, is it firing on all 6 cylinders?

Hello Nic,

yes it is firing on all 6 cylinders.

Like I said, the car has very much pain to start, but after several minutes, the motor run without any problem...

I'll try to refresh the electric, but I don't think this is the solution because when the motor is warm , I have no problem to start it again, the electrical wiring hasn't change...

I'll try to wash at the intake, maybe are some valves blocked by the low t° and humidity ?

It seems like the engine is mufled (étouffé in french) when cold...

Thanks for your answer !