The mkiv Supra Owners Club

northern Ireland insurance

Jellybean

Stephen is getting a house in Derry, was going to register it on ni plates, mot it and drive her down here, I'm paying 650 euro fully comp just the road tax is mad for only driving it a handful if days a month in the summer , either that or sell up, getting worse and worse down here with vat increase, petrol, new household tax and water charges, worth the risk for 80 pound,you only need to pay vrt once so customs can't do me for that,once she is insured mot and taxed I can't see the guards being able to do anything

Stephen is getting a house in Derry, was going to register it on ni plates, mot it and drive her down here, I'm paying 650 euro fully comp just the road tax is mad for only driving it a handful if days a month in the summer , either that or sell up, getting worse and worse down here with vat increase, petrol, new household tax and water charges, worth the risk for 80 pound,you only need to pay vrt once so customs can't do me for that,once she is insured mot and taxed I can't see the guards being able to do anything
mate its not in yet id hold of for now there is a lot of crap going on at the moment, there talking bout using the uk system as in you inform the authoritys before you put the car of road.

New mot laws kick in next month mate I'll see about copy and pasting them up for ya but you must have a cat pipe fitted (It has to look like a cat pile doesn't need to have anything inside) I'm gutting one of mine so it's always fitted, also xenons must have headlight washers and headlight levelling fitted and working that's the kinda stupid things coming in

I had my car in Ireland for 4years without the guards approaching me or customs to change the plate over to irish. One thing i do know is customs officers patrol Dunns and tesco carparks etc looking for foreign reg marks and follow them home for a chat. Could you not take out the rear seats and tax it as a commercial?

I had my car in Ireland for 4years without the guards approaching me or customs to change the plate over to irish. One thing i do know is customs officers patrol Dunns and tesco carparks etc looking for foreign reg marks and follow them home for a chat. Could you not take out the rear seats and tax it as a commercial?

i did this and ran into problems got a solictor on to the motor tax office they gave in in the end however they gave my details car etc out to every police station in the country, they said dont be in the vehicle unless its been used for commerical purposes, just was not worth the hassle, they turn a blind eye to taxis and vans etc been used for social and domestic use but sport cars is like a red rag to a bull

Jb....were in ireland are u i'm in donegal and hav

an english reg insured classic fully comp for 700 quid and i'm 26....i'm patriotic but the charges here to hav a tt are f'n cruel.

I'd say if ure not 2 close to the border go for it...d customs are savage around the border areas atm,and as u know if caught u have 2 wks to pay the vrt back into the south....for me its a risk worth takin as i'd do time before giving those shower a penny on an european illegal tax

Jb....were in ireland are u i'm in donegal and hav

an english reg insured classic fully comp for 700 quid and i'm 26....i'm patriotic but the charges here to hav a tt are f'n cruel.

I'd say if ure not 2 close to the border go for it...d customs are savage around the border areas atm,and as u know if caught u have 2 wks to pay the vrt back into the south....for me its a risk worth takin as i'd do time before giving those shower a penny on an european illegal tax

Mine is already vrt'd, so worse case they tell me to put I back on Irish plates, but I have a micra too so could argue I use,that down here most if,the time

I only tax the supra for the summer months anyway, i know its a kick in the balls but im paying about 600 fully comp, 27 with 7 years ncb and 3 years full license

They are bring in compulsory motor tax regardless if u use it or not, like in the UK, UK implemented it a few months back.they won't allow u declare it off the road, u will have to pa u the back tax and it will be illegal to allow the car motor tax lapse, just looking at this option or either sell it, not worth paying 1500 a year

They are bring in compulsory motor tax regardless if u use it or not, like in the UK, UK implemented it a few months back.they won't allow u declare it off the road, u will have to pa u the back tax and it will be illegal to allow the car motor tax lapse, just looking at this option or either sell it, not worth paying 1500 a year

Where have you been reading about that mate? I looked into this extensively when I first heard about it and as far as I can see the only change is that you will no longer be able to make the declaration in the Guards saying the car WAS off the road, you will be required to register the car as being off the road, as in making future declarations about non use, which means there would be no undocumented lapses in taxation.

"Mr Hogan said a motor tax system similar to that in Britain is being considered in the context of developing a new motor tax bill. It would mean that motorists could only make off-the-road declarations about future use of their vehicle."

So in essence anyone who only legitimately uses their car for the summer months or whatever, will have no real changes, apart from having to register the car as being off the road before the current tax disc lapses.

Jellybean- I'd strongly advise against running on NI plates. I've a friend who had a uk license and NI address, and had nothing but hassle from customs, with his car being snatched on 2 occasions. The main problem you have here is it's so small and the supra is a conspicuous car. You may blag your way out of a customs checkpoint once but they will link the car back to being "ordinarily" driven in the south. I live in Laois so would never get away with it, you may have more luck in Dublin, but in my mind it's not worth the hassle.

Owning a supra in Ireland is even more of a luxury than it is in the uk. Of course the tax is simply outrageous, but you can either justify the cost in your head and pay up, or sell up. There's no options really. I've now 3 cars that are falling in the €1500 a year tax category, and the only one I will be keeping is the Supra as I could not justify the cost of the rest.

Edited by nige-rz (see edit history)

Not sure where you got that from Carlo but it's not right, in the uk you tax the car when it's on the road or declare it sorn if it's off the road. There was something within the last few months where they linked the insurance systems with the tax systems so that they could tell if a car was insured but not taxed, but not that it had to be taxed regardless of whether it was on or off the road.