The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra and NSX

Blut_VTEC

Hello there,

I'm Martin and i'm from the Netherlands, I'm a big Honda fan, and I drive a Honda NSX, and my daily drive is a Honda Accord Type-S

And last week I picket up a RHD Supra NA, and i have a few questions about her:

-On the gauges/clocks it's km/h , but when i'm driving 80 km/h , the needle is at 50.

So i suggest that the car is converted to mph, but the text below describes km/h.

-And the other question is that the lights behind the gauges/clocks don't work.

What to do ? Can i converted back to km/h ? Because in the netherlands we are used to display it in km/h

And can i replace the bulbs ? Or should I just replace the whole gauges/clocks with a standard J-spec NA supra gauges that reads kmh?

Thanks

Martin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, NSX and the Supra are are my favourite car's ever made

Here are a few pictures of the Supra, probably know here ? because it's just imported a few months a go from the UK.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9311/img64154000.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/985/img64104000.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3061/img64204000.jpg

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6756/naamloossg.jpg

Edited by Blut_VTEC (see edit history)

Hi, very nice NSX you have there. I love the look of 1990's Jap sorts cars and this would be second on my list to a Supra. Although, the wife would never let me have both a Supra and NSX. Your lucky to own both.

With regards to both your questions the answers are, yes you can convert back to KPH and you can get the dash bulbs working again.

Your dials appear to be ebay after market el-glow (or equivalent). That is to say they don't illuminate from the back but instead there is a fluorescent membrane on the dials themselves. I would suggest that the control unit to these has been damaged or that the wires have come loose, likely from a poor install. This could be located anywhere behind the dash. Usually they have a potentiometer which allows you to adjust the brightness which some people leave exposed. Do you have anything like this visible?

A simple way to replace these would be to buy some j-spec stock dials which are both KPH and illuminate from the rear using conventional bulbs.

The speedo conversion may have been done in one of two ways. Either someone has done a rough fix using the new dials template to roughly show mph against kph or they have taken the time to install a speedo converter which will be located behind the upper dash. Normally a small black box/device.

I would suggest looking to se if someone has a binnacle for sale and buying the whole thing as you will get the dials and bulbs and it will be a straight swap.

If you want to get all funky you can speak to Heckler (Si) on here who does some very tasty dash light conversion kits. Thus you can have the dials, heater controls, window switches etc. Basically you can get these kits in virtually any colour you want.

It's all quite straight forward to anyone who has an ounce on technical knowledge.

Hope this help.

Matt

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

What a great welcome :)

@ mwilkinson :

Ok, thank u for the information, I would like to have the dash/interior stock, so if i change the dials back to j-spec stock dials wil my

lights work?

I don't know if the still is limited, but if it is, and i change the dials back to the stock j-spec dials, will it be limited again ?

@ rsme :

wow, where do u live ? Lemmer is also a 10 minute drive from where i live :)

Oh, and I have another question, I found a loose (Vacuum?)hose , but it's not connected to something, where does it have to go ? it's the blue one:

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/5790/snc00007d.jpg

Edited by Blut_VTEC (see edit history)

Welcome to the club Martin.

Well done on getting yourself a Supra and we hope you enjoy the club too.

Your photos of your NSX are excellent and are probably the best car photos I've seen in quite a while.

And as we all know and agree on this forum, red is the best colour :)

What a great welcome :)

@ mwilkinson :

Ok, thank u for the information, I would like to have the dash/interior stock, so if i change the dials back to j-spec stock dials wil my

lights work?

I don't know if the still is limited, but if it is, and i change the dials back to the stock j-spec dials, will it be limited again ?

Yes, if you buy a stock binnacle the dash lights should work again. Although, can we confirm we are only talking about the main dial lights and not all the heater controls and other switches?

I have to confess I'm better at TT than N/A, but I would not think the speed converter and TSD (Top Speed Delimiter) are a combined unit. In which case you will need to get a stand alone TSD.

I'm not 100% on this so it may be worth doing a search on the forum. At the very least take the dash apart and have a look as to what you have in place. Get some pictures up and many on here including myself will be able to offer some further advice.

You haven't looked enough mate. There are examples out there.

I knew I'd get this reaction from someone :D

Having owned a Supra, I totally agree that they can look fantastic and the examples you've picked out above are right up my street style-wise.

That said, I still maintain that they're not a patch on a well prepared NSX like the OP's.

All imo of course ;)