The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tiptronic driving?

eldudereno

A lot of the later Supra's available these days seem to be of the tiptronic variety, what are these like to drive?

Do you tend to just stick it in drive and let the box do the work or do you often use the buttons on the steering wheel to change gear manually?

I've owned 2 auto bmw's in the past and to be honest I missed the manual gear change.

ps, still looking

I use Tipto exclusively.

It is great for engine breaking - admitedly you have less gears to play with and once you are going the upshift is SOOOO much faster than a manual anyway.

You get a bit of leeway too coming down the box to blip the throttle ready for bends and general hooliganism.

Very good tipto arrangement IMHO

R

Mines not tiptronic but I am guessing that the box acts the same way with just the input coming from a switch on the steering as opposed to from the switch in the shifter housing. I can confirm that on an N/A the engine braking is quite impressive on an Auto in manual mode. Good thing about it is you can actually change down a gear way before its due in that gear and it won't change down until its safe rev-wise to do so giving you the max engine breaking possible. I found it gave me incredible stability in bends that standard brake braking doesn't.

Best of the bunch in my view once you can look at it with a clear head and get over the early days of not being familiar with it all.

Most Pro drivers seem to go for F1 style boxes,

I think one day you probably won't be able to buy any manuals at all. All makes are pushing tip tron/paddle shift boxes at you even if the journalists moan about it.

:D

Do these Tiptronic Gearboxes come with Paddleshifts as well? because Sham had one with buttons and I was thinking thats not going to be easy changing gears whilst on a bend.....not that you would wanna do that on a bend in Supra.

I do like the idea of a tip....the only thing in my mind that goes in favour of Manual is just the Masculine thing together with an authentic wolf whistle, and followed by projectile spit....and a revelation about a short sharp shock holiday at Feltham Young Offenders.

:p

Its funny when people say wow nice motor...........and then..............................nuuuurrrr shame its an auto lol

:D

Must admit that I spend most of the time in D and don't use the TIP much. I like the effect of the box in TIP however and should use it more. It's easy to get cought in the wrong gear with a turbo car and as good as the auto box is, there are times that the delay of kick-down plus turbo lag is not desirable.

One thing I'd change are the bottons. They're a little fiddly, paddles would probably be better.