The mkiv Supra Owners Club

not long fitted coilovers

ashbuster

hey guys

when i had my car it had a slight pull to the left but wanted to wait untill after the coilovers were fitted before it fixed the problem saves doing it twice.

since fitting the coilovers its got alot worse and ill need to get it done but when i took it to a local garage they said its not just tracking i need doing i need the camber set also

but they dont do it there and he said not many places do

anyone know anywhere that can sort my car out and do you know a rough price?

and has to be close , west midlands if possible

lol yeah :)

ive been quoted £188 for a cambelt change and parts is that a good price? thats mobile

Ouch !!

Also if your cars handling is getting worse wouldn't this possibly be down to a joint or bush etc

getting worse and as well as needing the geometry set up you'll possibly need other new parts.

I use an excellent local garage who have done lots of work on my car, (complete suspension change, cam belts, servicing etc etc )

If you want somewhere more local to have a look at why your cars getting worse i could introduce you to the owner who i've known for a long time and can highly recommend them.

Their not far from Solihull just off J4 M42

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

it seems weird, sometimes it will pull to the right depending on the road and if its bumpy you really have to fight with the car,

ive been flued up so i haven't had chance to get the wheels off and have a look but its alot worse since the coilovers were fitted and they were fitted right

a mate of mine from wales came to help me whos a mechanic and he said after they were fitted that i needed 4 wheel alignment.

i have pm'd chris and ill see what he says back :)

and thanks guys

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

hey guys its all good and ill be getting it sorted after christmas and new year, will be going to chris :)

i thought 188 was a good price as that was with parts but shows what i know lol

i havent checked the tyres they look like there the same but i would need to check the pressure properly and ill pop to tesco in abit and try on the pump,

what do you guys normally put in your tyres?

i know it says on the side the max pressure but no one ever pumps them to there max do they?

should it be around 35psi

fronts are

http://www.experttire.com/catalog/product.jsp?id=68115

primewell (they say on the side not to fill more than 40)

PZ900

245/40R18

not sure if there crap or not, they were on the car when i got it

rears are

nexen n3000

275/35zr18 95y (says no more than 44psi)

hey guys its all good and ill be getting it sorted after christmas and new year, will be going to chris :)

i thought 188 was a good price as that was with parts but shows what i know lol

i havent checked the tyres they look like there the same but i would need to check the pressure properly and ill pop to tesco in abit and try on the pump,

what do you guys normally put in your tyres?

i know it says on the side the max pressure but no one ever pumps them to there max do they?

should it be around 35psi

fronts are

http://www.experttire.com/catalog/product.jsp?id=68115

primewell (they say on the side not to fill more than 40)

PZ900

245/40R18

not sure if there crap or not, they were on the car when i got it

rears are

nexen n3000

275/35zr18 95y (says no more than 44psi)

When I pumped mine up, the front passenger side was at 15psi and the rest were about mid 20s (I hadn't got round the checking for a while as I've only been going to work and back). The 15 looked slightly low but the rest looked ok.

I put about 34/35 in each of them (with a foot pump which did my leg a mischielf).

yeah i agree after looking around the net they are cheap ones

a little update

i went to tesco about 5 mins away and checked the tires

all of them had around 25psi apart from the rear drivers side had 15

i put them all to 34 and tried driving home.

it really didnt make any difference apart from it pulling to the right too

its hard to explain whats happening but it doesnt feel safe at all

i dont mine the part where it pulls slightly its cornering , it feels like the back wants to come around and thats without even putting alot of power

im driving completly normal and slow and the even with a little power it feels like the back wants to come around it just dont feel right at all i know the roads are not too good at the moment but it shouldnt be that bad because its fine where i live, ive driven in the wet and never had it feel like this nowhere near

i think its risky driving it to chris to be honest because its an hour away but it doesnt feel stable

just like to ad...

its more unstable at heavy braking and when not accelerating

im going to have a close look tomorrow,

i also heard a noise coming from the rear like a high pitch sound as i was driving

i dont know if this is the problem , i dont think it is but i could do with sorting it

could be sticking

ill have a good look over it tomorrow but will need the aligning done anyway i think because of fitting the coilovers

Put a trolley jack under the diff and get both back wheels off the ground and see if ones harder to turn

than the other, also check for wheel bearing play by rocking the wheel side to side and top to bottom.

I'd still recommend get the whole underneath bolt checked and to check all the joints and bushes including

subframe etc

An hour on a ramp would do that and only cost you £45 :)

Tyre pressures should be checked weekly at the least and having less than half of what they should have is

really very poor indeed.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)