The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To boost or not to boost?

Supra Kong

Hello peeps,

Just ordered my tt manual Sup from Jurgen and i cant wait! (-:

I have been bombarding the poor chap with loads of questions and he has been brilliant!!! ( I would have got annoyed by now lol)

My Supra to be runs some BPU has the decats, RR FMIC etc... so should run at 1.1 bar of boost. However, it hasnt got a boost controller..

What do you guys think? Pro's? Con's? Do i need one? Or would it make no difference? :blink:

Cheers folks

it might have the RR changed on it already. probably best to wait and see and maybe dyno it (or take a bpu owner for a drive). no point increasing the boost to a level that's already present.

Cheers Noz,

But i am really impatient!!! lol

The guys at JM could fit it before i collect.....

if i was at 1.1 i wouldnt bother with a ebc they are great and can help but they also can cause problems with soliniods sticking and make you boost spike

dont crank it up too much i had hybrids and had a spec 0f 1.6 but they see a spike of just under 1.5 and kaboom [ATTACH=CONFIG]142354[/ATTACH] and this is what you get out of the intercooler [ATTACH=CONFIG]142355[/ATTACH] be warned boost is a killer , but its a killer like dexter one you love lol

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

if i was at 1.1 i wouldnt bother with a ebc they are great and can help but they also can cause problems with soliniods sticking and make you boost spike

dont crank it up too much i had hybrids and had a spec 0f 1.6 but they see a spike of just under 1.5 and kaboom [ATTACH=CONFIG]142354[/ATTACH] and this is what you get out of the intercooler [ATTACH=CONFIG]142355[/ATTACH] be warned boost is a killer , but its a killer like dexter one you love lol

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!! Running 1.6 seems extremely high on hybrids doesn't it? I heard that 1.5 should be max?

The HKS ec-3 seems to be a good unit?

Old and fairly basic model, if you're going to fit an electronic boost controller it's worth spending the money on a good one. If you're on a budget I'd save yourself some money and fit a ball and spring manual boost controller instead.

A couple of recent threads on the subject.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?245861-boost-controller-questions&highlight=color

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?246750-Manual-Boost-Controller-VS-Electronic-Boost-Controller&highlight=boost

Whats your budget, that will narrow it down. If it helps, i have an Apexi AVCR BC.

Am on a fairly tight budget, as i just bought the car.. and i have to buy a stereo for it as it hasn't got one... So, not sure really...

Is that a good unit then? Whats it got over say an hks evc? How much are ya looking for?