The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Potetially flawed?

Tee from China

Posted these engine shots in a picture thread that may have been over looked!

Whilst I think it looks amazing I did have a thought as to a potetially serious problem as iiac the OE cover is vented to allow to coil packs air to stop them from overheating so is this design flawed?

Also it looks like the top rad hose has solid joints rather than a rubber or silicone hose at each end as per normal on a solid pipe - so how does that work?

Not sure about the coil packs but could the rad pipes have small silver silicone joints with jubilee clips over them?

Plus the engine is on solid mounts. And there might be silicone hoses where the FMIC is.

More interesting thing to me is, why one cam cover looks different... is there a chance to be made out of copper?!?!

Plus the engine is on solid mounts. And there might be silicone hoses where the FMIC is.

More interesting thing to me is, why one cam cover looks different... is there a chance to be made out of copper?!?!

ha you notice, apparently the finish for the cover etc needs a process where by copper is added first before the top finish can be applied and the guy was having problems with the OE cam covers not taking the finished surface hence one cover being copper finished

Maybe, but I'm sure the same affect could be achieved by running the throttle cable under the scuttle panel like Hodge has been doing with various things lately.

Maybe yes but all this hiding only means more time in replacing things when they break - which they do. Whats wrong with just leaving it where it is and look on it as a functional item that should be that way!

Maybe yes but all this hiding only means more time in replacing things when they break - which they do. Whats wrong with just leaving it where it is and look on it as a functional item that should be that way!

If that is your point of view then why bother posting photo's of minimalistic engine bays? :D

Spending that sort of money he wont care about replacing the coil packs once a year, the engine is most likely solid mounted so no need for silicon/rubber joiners, they will be a wiggins type clamp.

He explained that on supraforums, one had a problem with the coating so went back to be re done, the copper colour one is a spare he had.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

If that is your point of view then why bother posting photo's of minimalistic engine bays? :D

Because it was the engine that interested me not the naked engine compartment which the topic was - the ENGINE not where it sits. And yes I dont like "minimalistic"engine bays and unless someone is just going to have a 'show car' that rarely gets driven or goes around on a trailer then I cant see the point but I suspect you love it and each to their own!

Spending that sort of money he wont care about replacing the coil packs once a year, the engine is most likely solid mounted so no need for silicon/rubber joiners, they will be a wiggins type clamp.

Thanks for that Jamie, never heard of a Wiggins clamp (only Jubilee or Supra) and tried searching for info but none found - can you elaborate? Cheers