The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlights

Johnny176

Hey guys,

After having search around the forum I couldn't find an answer so I'm gonna have to ask... This is probably gonna be a really stupid question but im gonna ask it anyways lol

IMG_1257 2.jpg

Yellow full, red is dipped, green is side light. Easy stuff so far, so what is blue? I have yet to see it on lol

Sarcasm and duuuhh posts are accepted :p

Blue is sidelight. The green one isn't used (i.e. doesn't exist) on Jap spec's and should be an indicator on UK's only, I think, though I don't have a U.K. car? :)

Was thinking of wiring them up, as I put U.K. glass lights on my Jap' spec' car and there's no wire for them.

Hmm ok, Green comes on as my side lights, red as dipped and yellow as full. I had just never seen the Blue one on. Never thought it to be fogs tho

Hmm ok, Green comes on as my side lights, red as dipped and yellow as full. I had just never seen the Blue one on. Never thought it to be fogs tho

You have a U.K. car, right?

I think this thread has helped me more than you!

Look for your fog light button somewhere. Will only work, of course, with the headlights turned on. Then again, I don't know if all cars have them wired up or if fogs were an option.

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

Are you sure? :blink:

It comes on at the first notch as a sidelight and then the dipped beams on my J'spec.

Must be a U.K. only thing.

I had Jspec lights when I bought my car, but I've UKs in there now. Looking at my indicator stalk, when I click it to the fog light setting, the blue light in the pic comes on. I'm just going by what the indicator stalk says, it has a pic of front fog light, green is the side light :D

I just went out to my garage to be 100% sure :)

Blue is sidelight. The green one isn't used (i.e. doesn't exist) on Jap spec's and should be an indicator on UK's only, I think, though I don't have a U.K. car? :)

Was thinking of wiring them up, as I put U.K. glass lights on my Jap' spec' car and there's no wire for them.

The green one should be your side lights

The green one dosent exist on Facelift lights, and its not an indicator on uk lights its a sidelight just like the pre facelift Jap spec lights

Blue is 100% Fogs on my j-spec!

So they're always on with dipped beam then?

Mine come on at the first twist stop and then dipped beam joins in but never dipped beam on their own. This is why I call them sidelights, as they precede and then accompany the dipped beams. To my mind, fogs, (front or rear), are always on a seperate lighted switch and certainly don't come on with the stalk before the dipped beams in the middle.

I don't consider my car to actually have front fog lights, as there is no lighted switch, seperate from the stalk for the fronts, only the rears. What Toyota have labelled the blue ones as, I don't know.

Eyup, says in the manual that there's a ring on the stalk for fogs. :innocent: Maybe mine's always been on as the blue ones always come on first thing with the lower side-lights in the combined indicator unit in the scoop but I've always thought that fogs should only come on when dipped beam is selected, like any other car, not before, even if the fog switch is on?

Mine's the same car as yours btw, 1997-8 VVTi.

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

Mine come on at the first twist stop and then dipped beam joins in but never dipped beam on their own. This is why I call them sidelights, as they precede and then accompany the dipped beams. To my mind, fogs, (front or rear), are always on a seperate lighted switch and certainly don't come on with the stalk before the dipped beams in the middle.

I don't consider my car to actually have front fog lights, as there is no lighted switch, seperate from the stalk for the fronts, only the rears. What Toyota have labelled the blue ones as, I don't know.

Eyup, says in the manual that there's a ring on the stalk for fogs. :innocent: Maybe mine's always been on as the blue ones always come on first thing with the lower side-lights in the combined indicator unit in the scoop but I've always thought that fogs should only come on when dipped beam is selected, like any other car, not before, even if the fog switch is on?

Yours is a facelift being a 97-98 VVTi which was introduced post 96 and the sidelamps were moved from the headlamp (green in picture) and moved to enlarged indicators below the main lamps which is why you dont have any(early models also have smaller orange indicators).

All Supras whether pre 96 (usually termed pre-facelifts) or post 96 (referred to as Facelifts and only JDM)have foglamps as the outer most light in the main housing.

The US did get the facelift lights front and rear but none of the other Japan only facelift items such as 5 dial dash (as opposed to 3 as on all UK/EU/US models - which were all Pre-facelifts)

Facelifts are only in RHD

Only rear fogs require a warning light and those cars with standard front fog dont usually have an indicator/warning light as you can see their on whereas rears may not be so obvious to the driver hence the need for a warning device! AFAIK all front foglamps come on with sidelights/dipped and go off with mains - so you must be running round all the time with your fogs on!!:blink:

I used to own a Scimitar which had front and rear fogs on one switch and neither had a warning light as it wasnt law till 83 on and they made them from 76 - 86 and never had any warning lights and always passed the MOT!

Edited by Tee from China (see edit history)

Outer light is fog light, center unit is dipped beam :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]142918[/ATTACH]

Pre-facelift Headlights - UK & J-spec (93-96)

Blue - Fog light

Green - Side light

Red - Headlight Low Beam

Yellow - Headlight High Beam

Facelift Headlights (96+)

Blue - Fog Light

Green - Deleted (side lights in same housing as the front indicators)

Red - Headlight Low Beam

Yellow- Headlight High Beam

So I just went out and checked out this fog light business on the car. As most of you said blue is my front fogs and only works when sidelights or dipped beam is on. My car is a J-Specbut I think the UK style headlight units are fitted.

Thanks guys

are you leaving your fog light switch in the on position? so when you turn your side lights on they are also coming on? there are two switches on the light stock.