The mkiv Supra Owners Club

General advice on engine behaviour?

Johnny176

Hey guys,

Ive had my supra 3 days now and im unsure what is normal as theres no supra's in my area. I used to drive a 2004 EP3 Type R and when you gave it boot at low revs it would build up with decent power between 3 - 5.8k rpm then there was a kick when the VTEC hit and the car would scream right up to the limiter at about 8.4k. In the supra I hear a slight whistle if i kinda feather the throttle around 2k and my HKS EVC3 boot controller goes from negative boost or vacuum I guess to moving about just above or below the 0, when planted theres a slight 1/2 seconds delay before it takes off. Boost is about 0.9 bar then at 4k theres a surge forward and boost hits about 1.1 bar - no kick just noticable increase in power but at about 6k it seems to run outta steam and the boost seems to drop to about 1 bar. It still accelerates quickly but it seems to have a reduced pace at around the 6k rpm mark. It doesnt rip to the red like the Civic did, is this normal or is something funny going on?

Thanks, Johnny

Thanks guys, just thought I'd ask as I haven't been a passenger in a supra either so was unsure as to what was normal.

Also sorry Jurgen, I had went away with work a few days later for a week and didn't really get back to looking till a while after. I assumed I had missed my chance by leaving you hanging. Sorry for the inconvenience and my lack of response.