The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Went to see a soop yesterday...

SirCharlesworth

Went to have a look at a freshly imported and unregistered tt6 yesterday. Was severely unimpressed with value for money so i want to ask you guys opinions.

As far as i can tell, the car had the following spec-

Some kind of cone filter.

SBC-iD

Power Meter-iD

Blitz boost gauge

HKS Turbo Timer

A nice MD/CD head unit

Kakimoto exhaust

HKS Coilovers

6 Point roll cage (the interior had been butchered to fit this- rear trim panels hacked around)

Alloy wheels (non standard)

OE skirts and spats.

I believe those were the only mods, the seller (a car importer) told me it was running 1.2bar boost, which equaled 450bhp which i find hard to believe.

Now here comes the killer- the car is for sale for 12950, has done 112k(km) and has the following faults: firstly, the hazard triangle stays on in the rev counter (dont know why this is :conf: ), pretty much every panel on the car needs painting or has already been painted (badly), there is rust!!! :confused: at the bottom of the drivers door, round the windscreen, and around the boot area! Paint is peeling off the skirts and the whole car (black) looks dull.

He told me he'll get all the paintwork done once i put a deposit on, but i know rust always comes back and why should i put my cash into something i dont know will look good. He is trying to justify the price by the mods but i dont think its worth it.

Do supras rust much?:confused: :confused:

I have attached a pic of the car, you can see the paint coming off the skirts in it!! It's in ipswich if anyone wants to look for real.

toy3a.jpg

the only rust i've seen has been on the electric ariel (drivers rear quarter panel) and very deep stone chips on the front wings.

I think the hatch has a place around the glass somewhere that is susceptable to some rust too (not seen this myself), but in general there should be very little/none.

That car sounds way over priced. Imagine you were looking at this car and it was a private sale, would you even give it the time of day?

Wheels aren't anything special by the look of it, uk spec brakes or little jap ones?

Don't just buy it just cause its black and a manual!

Originally posted by Scooter

the only rust i've seen has been on the electric ariel (drivers rear quarter panel) and very deep stone chips on the front wings.

I think the hatch has a place around the glass somewhere that is susceptable to some rust too (not seen this myself), but in general there should be very little/none.

That car sounds way over priced. Imagine you were looking at this car and it was a private sale, would you even give it the time of day?

Wheels aren't anything special by the look of it, uk spec brakes or little jap ones?

Don't just buy it just cause its black and a manual!

the only place i have ever seen a supe rust,including mine, is around the rear hatch rubber. id walk away from it. sounds like its worth more like £7000 max to me

The roll cage wouldnt even be an issue, my pulsar had it declared and it hardly touched the insurance:

I declared all mods and ended up with a sheet that looked like this

Interior/exterior mdifications

Wheel/Tyre modifications

Suspension modifications

Engine/Carbuerettor modifications

Exhaust Modifications

That covered everything, and about everything more i could do to the car!!

With regards to the supra- general concencus seems to be that its a heap. I was told it was an RZ-S, but i didn't think they made them in 1993. It didnt have active spoiler so wasn't a GZ but it did have electric drivers seat :confused: - does that make it an RZ?

The guy has a few *overpriced* supras for sale- see this link http://www.extremejapanesemotors.co.uk/ the cars are straight from auction as even the pics he uses are the aucton pics!!!

And what does that warning triangle come on for?!!

Originally posted by SirCharlesworth

And what does that warning triangle come on for?!!

In this case it's on to say WALK AWAY but it comes on for many reasons - it's the "something ain't right" light.

Let your head make a descision on this one, tell your heart to behave itself - there are plenty of nice, cheaper Supras out there, many of them for sale on here - how about Paul R's for example?

on the RHS of the steering wheel, is the little "TRAC OFF" display, which lights up when you turn off the traction control. This develops dry solder joints and results in you having to tap on it for it to show, so that you know whether traction control is on/off. When this connection is bad, it can cause the Hazard triangle to light, albeit dimly and in a faulty-looking way.

I'm sure there are genuine reasons for it being on, one being that the handbrake was left on.

so i guess thats bad then- any listings at all on the net of what its for?

the light can be on for loads of reasons including door open,handbrake on, active spoiler fault,low brake fluid etc,etc.it usually lights in conjunction with another light to tell you what the fault is. was the light on whilst you were driving?

Rust = forget it completely chap!!! Seriously the body work is totally galvanised so for there to be rust on panels there is something majorly wrong. Even my SZ has leccy drivers seat I don't think they did a manual seat on any model. Not sure what trim differences there are between an SZ and an RZ. Warning triangle is anything from doors and boot open to handbrake to low oil to all sorts of other stuff. Ropy paintwork that has been badly sprayed has been sprayed cheaply for a reason to try and hide something.

Really I would get my barge pole out and walk far enough away so I couldn't touch it with it!!

Year??? Looks like 4 to 5k to me, sounds a right shed :( There are a LOT of dodgy imports coming across at the moment, for whatever reason. It's rare to see a rusty MKIV, and a badly fitted roll cage doesn't suggest it's led a sheltered life, nor do the add on bits. Find a nice bone stock car, no body kits, stock wheels, original paint. They DO exist, and you just need to travel and find them.

I had a similar dilemma when looking for "the one" all I can say to you is have patience/be prepared to travel, once you do find "the one" trust me, it will be worth it even more! There's no way he's gonna sell it for anywhere near 13k!!, the import market has died a sorry death, traders are having to drop their pants to get the business :conf: (the consumer now rules) and some good deals can be had... but for even greater savings why not import yourself? (its not exactly rocket science), if you can't be bothered and like me you live by the ideology of "try before you buy" I would look on the for sale threads here as you know they will have been cared for with all the correct fluids having been put in the correct holes at the correct times

I found mine on here and am thoroughly over the moon about it!!

Good luck

Thanks for all your opinions guys, i appreciate it. It's nice to have help in this situation.

I have been looking at importing myself, through auto square. But they have stopped sending me auction details for some reason. It's amazing how much you can save by personally importing! I'm guessing the dealer probably paid about 4k for that (dog of a) supra in japan and wants to make a fast buck! I'm tempted to go back and say yeah I'll give you 7 and a half grand cash for it now and you can cut your losses. :twak: but i think he'd tell me where to go anyway.

So it's probably a bad idea, besides- I *should* be able to import nice tt6 for no more than 9k. It's just the wait of the shipping that i don't like. But i dont think im gonna find any decent black tt6's over here for that price so it's gonna have to be the import route

Originally posted by mcanny

In this case it's on to say WALK AWAY but it comes on for many reasons - it's the "something ain't right" light.

Let your head make a descision on this one, tell your heart to behave itself - there are plenty of nice, cheaper Supras out there, many of them for sale on here - how about Paul R's for example?

Thanks for the plug ;).

I think that my car is probably sold now though. It should be going on Friday, if something goes wrong though....it'll be back up for sale!

I'm taking a scooby in p/x as a stop gap. I'll give it a spin, see if it's good and then bye bye supe!

Paul.

Thanks for all your opinions guys, i appreciate it. It's nice to have help in this situation.

I have been looking at importing myself, through auto square. But they have stopped sending me auction details for some reason. It's amazing how much you can save by personally importing! I'm guessing the dealer probably paid about 4k for that (dog of a) supra in japan and wants to make a fast buck! I'm tempted to go back and say yeah I'll give you 7 and a half grand cash for it now and you can cut your losses. :twak: but i think he'd tell me where to go anyway.

So it's probably a bad idea, besides- I *should* be able to import nice tt6 for no more than 9k. It's just the wait of the shipping that i don't like. But i dont think im gonna find any decent black tt6's over here for that price so it's gonna have to be the import route

I have 6 Supra's arriving in the next couple of weeks.....