The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How did this happen to my gearbox?!

Parry_10

I took off my gearbox last night to get to the bottom of a clutch issue ive been having and came across the problem straight away although I have no clue how this would happen or if it has ever happened before... Look to the left of the inspection hole. Where the clutch fork pivots on a ball it screws into that hole but somehow that bit has managed to snap in half and no signs of the other half of it, strange!

IMG00751-20111209-1830.jpg

IMG00752-20111209-1830.jpg

It's cast aluminium isn't it? So pretty brittle. As soon as a crack appeared and you put pressure on it, the whole bit would have cracked off.

Yeh but surely that part shouldnt crack in the first place as there isnt pressure being put on it I would of thought... and where did it go?

Edited by Parry_10 (see edit history)

It might weld up, a good welder with pre heat and a big TIG could do it, but in all probability the bellhousing will distort and need machining true again. If the latter is the case it may be cheaper to find another bellhousing or even buy a new one. If it were mine i'd take this opportunity to convert it to a concentric release bearing set up.

It might weld up, a good welder with pre heat and a big TIG could do it, but in all probability the bellhousing will distort and need machining true again. If the latter is the case it may be cheaper to find another bellhousing or even buy a new one. If it were mine i'd take this opportunity to convert it to a concentric release bearing set up.

Ive managed to source a bellhousing for cheap so thats that sorted. Regarding the concentric release bearing set up what would be the benifit? cost? and how is it done. Im not sure it would be worth doing for me though as the box is more than likely going to fail as im running TT bpu.

It would need doing by a machine shop, I do loads of them, but cost will be be 300 or more. It does transform how the clutch feels and is the best way to do them. Search on "Tractive gearbox" on this forum, I put one in my Nissan bellhousing when i put a sequential in my RWD Skyline. the thing is virtually identical to how i would do a Supra. Only works with PUSH clutches!!