The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help needed on big supra descision

dr_jekyll

hello ladies and gentlemen.... and josh

i feel i may be comeing to the end of my stay as a supra owner. as a few of you know ive now sold my road going supras and all i have left is my long standing na-t track car.

now with the fast apraoching arrival of my spawn and the fact that the car is hardly ever used im thinking it may be time to sell it or brake for spares and get myself a nice sensible road/weekend car. more pecificly ive been overd a beutifull dark gre xkr 1999 plate with 516 bhp for a reasonalbkle price.

so what should i do , sell my xk8 and my track supe and buy it or hang on to the supe incase the enthusiasm and love comes back , but even if it does is is sensible to keep throwing money into it and spending a fortune traveling the country to race it? but the fact remains that i do love the car and might regret selling it . im very torn. this is hard for me to consider but a comfy 500bhp v8 gt car that looks the dangleys is very tempting indeed .

im posting on here becuae i know i can get good impartial advice from many members , and i know alot of you have taken a similar plung.

cheers guys

There's been a few long serving members selling there cars these days. Now IMO from what you have said, you have already decided that the car is nearly at the stage where its got to go for other commitments. Now with that being said family comes first no matter what. So get rid and get a newish car that will help ferrying the family about etc. There is always bargain cars for sale on here. Who's to say that once you get yourself sorted, you look on here one day and see an perfect car at a great price, and trust me there is gona be loads in the future. :D

Is it sensible to keep throwing money into it and spending a fortune traveling the country to race it?

Of course it isn't but neither is emptying your wallet every few days to fill a 500+bhp Jag with petrol all for the pleasure of using a fraction of it's potential 95% of the time.

The thing about the track car (and the reason I went for one over a fast road car) is that the track car only takes money from you that you are willing to part with, if you haven't got the spare cash the car sits there until you do, life goes on and no one gets screwed. A tuned road car comes with a big saddle that I for one (in this country) refuse to wear for the benefit of the government. Add to that the day to day running costs of something like a modified Jag plus the repair bills when something goes pop and I think you will lose the love for that particular mistress pretty quickly.

The transporter I bought to cart the supra to the track a couple of times a year cost me €400 LESS than a single year's road tax for it in this country. I blew the gearbox in September of 2010 and the car hasn't seen the track since but in the meantime I have rebuilt the gearbox, fitted a 1JZ, collected a shed load of parts so I could BPU the engine, done all that work, bought and fitted several other bits that I either simply liked the look of or thought they might benefit a track only car and all without compromise or a second's thought for some ridiculous law making gimp in a neck-tie.

i know what you mean , but part of it is i dont feel like working on the car anymore either. the jag is not sensible as such but it does have isofix in the back ;)

it wouldnt be a daily by anymeans but what im thinking is replacing my track toy with a usable weeknd toy i can trake the famly (3 of us)for a run in .

i dont know . i love the supra but i just never use it. and i currently dont see me having the time or will to cart it around all over the country next season. another factor is that a few of you know i used to be a full time footballer and i recently decided to get back into the game and i have been offerd a few semi/ part time contracts in the welsh leaqge that pays ok for what it is along with still running the garage.

another option is putting the supra back on the road but if im to be 100% honest as a road car i think id rather the jag even though the supe is probably a better more relable car. tough descision this 1. im not going to rush in though , may leave it until after christmas as i do change like the wind

I'm yet to get to this stage with my Supra. At the moment i would'nt dream of selling it!! but i guess when it's time to move on, it's gotta be done. It will come to the best of us in due time :(

It sounds like you have lived the dream mate, with many years of Supra ownership, so that's the most important thing i guess :innocent:

What ever route you decide to take though, good luck with it mate :thumbs:

craig why dont you keep the supra and just buy a decent reliable family wagon? or just sell the supe to gareth :p im sure sam would be happy at that lol but on a serious note though, your family comes first no matter what so if you have to sell up then do it bud.

p.s ill be down at gareth and sams for new years so will see you at some point lol

i think its a hard decision to make. you've spent alot of time and hard earnt money on your engine. its just how you feel mate. selling something thats had alot of hours put into it is never going to be easy. if your unsure if you want to keep it then you've planted the seed, its like dumping a girlfriend. if you already are considering it how long will it last? i get this alot lol

flip a coin? ;)

If your after a weekend toy put the sup back on the road. The love will come back then as well as you can drive it without towing it to a track.

Buying a jag is not ganna save you anything, the only thing the jag will have is comfort.

You could just buy a cheap runround like the BMW u had. And keep the sup for the weekends.

I agree with comments above about track cars, after Knight Racer resprayed my car I didn't want to go near it for ages as was so disappointed, however as it's a second car it just sits there and eventually a few track days later I liked it again.

I would look at whether you are going back on track or not, is the jag going to be put on track? Is it too expensive if an incident happens? Do you just want to pootle around on the roads?

If you put some of the interior back in the Supra then it will be more comfortable for everyday use with family. I have no problem getting the little one in the back of the Supra. This can then easily be stripped out again for track day fun. Also I would have thought spraying it will help get the love back, which I guess you'll need to do anyway before selling, maybe do this and then see what you think.

you could always take the supra off the road completely, put the whole thing away and run the jag and see how you get on. the supra wont cost any money while it sits there its just money tied up. and at least you will know if you'd rather the money or would like to go back to the track with it.