The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats better a single set up or a big twin set up

drift_bear

Probably been asked before but im just home from work and cant be bothered searching :p as the title says, im looking at saving up alot over winter and for most of next year to start a nice collection for either a single OR a big twin set up, so the questions are - what is a better set up? what power firgures can you see/expect? whats the rough cost to get a reliable set up?

cheers all.

Single is cheaper. But, it hits in the back like a thunderbolt.

Twins are more expensive, but I find them more progressive.

Do you want to blend into the singles, or would you like to stand out with the BIG twins :D

I would love to have BIG twins then a single....Thats the plan anyway but i will just have to wait and see what my funds are like at the time

Properly sized and manifolded twins will achieve a given BHP level with less lag than a single capable of the same figures. But the cost and complication rises by a factor of more than 2. A properly executed single installation is FAR better than an on the cheap twin installation with old turbos and schonky manifolds. What's your budget?

having drove both before at big power.

big twins - minimal lag and very progressive.

big single - laggier than the twins but still great fun.

big twins- more expensive set up but impressive.

single - the cheaper option and most popular way.

if you look at the RB26 cars there is loads on big twins as opposed to just singles but they do have 4wd to cope better with the traction lower down,.

One of the odd things about the 2JZ and Supra owners is they spend a fortune on some aspects and just ignore others. For example, they continue to chase big HP figures, yet seem to ignore drivability and lag. A single throttle body is pretty crude, yet few seem to want to convert to multiple throttle bodies. No one has invested to cast high nickel content cast manifolds for twin turbos, the fact the RB26 Nissan engines have these as stock does of course partly explain the popularity of twins on these engines, as Nissan have done all the hard work with manifolds, turbo supports, downpipes, etcetera.

But incredibly complex, costly and difficult to set up to work correctly. You would need serious technical and financial resources to do this properly.

This is true if you've never done it before, or have limited knowledge, I'm upto around 80 super-turbo builds, not (yet ) done a supra, but charging is ancient tech, I find head design gasflow dynamics and designing variable valve lift and timing harder

(I designed and proto-final build superchargers/vvt turbo/jet engines/ rotorhead systems)

You don't half change your mind a lot Alex. You've gone from losing your job and selling the car to getting a job and thinking about singling it :blink:

As a frame of reference for you I have bought mostly 2nd hand parts and I'm over £12k in parts alone. If I had bought everything new it would be £15k easy, if I had then paid someone to fit it all and do everything I wanted done it would easily be £18k+.

That's a wholllllllle lotta saving :D

You don't half change your mind a lot Alex. You've gone from losing your job and selling the car to getting a job and thinking about singling it :blink:

As a frame of reference for you I have bought mostly 2nd hand parts and I'm over £12k in parts alone. If I had bought everything new it would be £15k easy, if I had then paid someone to fit it all and do everything I wanted done it would easily be £18k+.

That's a wholllllllle lotta saving :D

I know scott, I was only selling up in the first place due to job loss, but I've had a mate offer me work in the yard with his dads oil company and i will be doing all my certs for going offshore and etc in the new year :) in time for the new contracts coming in.