The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hi all new member after advice please

Guest royboy820

Guest royboy820

Hi everyone, well as the title says... im here for advice. Im after a supra, and would love a single turbo one. Im 22 and my work horse i bought after selling my mk4 r32 and buying a house is not going to pass its next mot in 6 months, soooooooooooo.... ive been aloud to browse my favorite cars again, and the awesome supra might just tick all the boxes. MPG isnt a issue, the golf did 7 on a hard run lol, insurance is great for a turbo or na at under a 1k.. tax and running/ servicing isnt a prob i dont think it can be more than the r or my old 2.0L calibra (sh1t heap)

So, to put a point to my mindless ramblings;

1) what does a n/a do 0-60 compared to a single turbo?

2) whats the chance of getting one for under £4,000? (either + imports)

3) do they do a manual aero-roof thingy?

4) if i can get a n/a for under £4,000 and not a turbo, how much are turbo kits? and how much hassle are they?

5) also whats the deal with cloth front seats leather rears? or is my mate lying? (astra vxr man so i expect he is)

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks alot, had a peak at a few cars on here and damn...... nice :)

Welcome

1) what does a n/a do 0-60 compared to a single turbo? Depends on the single turbo set up! Have a read in the Technical section!

2) whats the chance of getting one for under £4,000? (either + imports) NA easy under 4! TT if it's a dog! Single no chance!

3) do they do a manual aero-roof thingy? Check the variants in the supra technical section

4) if i can get a n/a for under £4,000 and not a turbo, how much are turbo kits? and how much hassle are they?again check out the tec section all will be answered in more detail than I will go into

5) also whats the deal with cloth front seats leather rears? or is my mate lying? (astra vxr man so i expect he is) check the variants again and it will say! Think it's the uk spec that came with full leather!

7mpg in a R32!? What the hell were you doing with it?

Mkiv Supra's were either n/a or twin-turbo; any single turbo mkiv will be an aftermarket conversion - i'm guessing you mean twin-turbo when you say single turbo?

Your insurance seems mighty cheap considering your age, i'm having a guess that the quotation that you have had if for a UK spec car - J-specs will be substantially more expensive to insure. Worth taking a look into

Answers to questions:

1) use the search bar its a very common question (remember that the Supra isnt really a 0-60 car, its more of a 60-180 kinda car!)

2) You can buy a really tidy manual N/A for under 4k, or you could buy a dog of a TT with an auto gearbox. For your average BPU auto TT you would be looking to budget between 6-7k

3) Use the search bar - there is also a Supra guide on here that explains all the different model types. Worth a read

4) You can buy an N/A for under 4k, but its not worth the extra expense of converting it. If you want a turbo, but a TT

5) The rear seats are vinyl, GZ and UK spec cars had leather front seats

And a foot note; if you decide to buy a TT, it WILL cost you a great deal more to service and maintain than your Calibra and R32 combined

Hello to the club.

If you are interested I suggest you spend some time reading up on them, the newbie section has loads of information. With regards to the difference between an NA & a single turbo is between 200 - 1500 bhp! Exactly, so I'd read up on as much as you can.

Are you planning on using it as a work horse like the R32? They run very well when looked after :)

Guest royboy820

hi abz, no no ive just been given a 61 plate sprinter from work... im a plumber/gas fitter, so my k reg isuzu trooper (work horse i bought to replace my r32 that i sold to buy a house, think that makes sense) has just died off roading from a cracked chassis lol. so the supra would be a weekend and fun car only as the mrs has a 09 for ka (worst car i have ever drove) for the dog so it free's me up for a toy again

oh by the way ive never been into jap cars that bad, mostly vags, thats why im new to all this engine code stuff. just wanted a nice change from the 'euro' style taking over the world closest i got to a jap car was a yellow 54 hyundai coupe 2.0L

Edited by royboy820 (see edit history)

hello!

1) Alot worse than a Single!

2) NA no probs anything else nope..

3) All aero tops came as an auto but some people do a manual conversion

4) Wouldn't bother with an NA if you want a turbo, just keep saving your pennies!

5) There not leather rears there PVC, The Japs arn't a fan of leather due to it always being warm!

Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere lol

hello!

1) Alot worse than a Single!

2) NA no probs anything else nope..

3) All aero tops came as an auto but some people do a manual conversion

4) Wouldn't bother with an NA if you want a turbo, just keep saving your pennies!

5) There not leather rears there PVC, The Japs arn't a fan of leather due to it always being warm!

Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere lol

Some of the imports come with leather like the GZ models. ;)

No worries, loads to read & learn on here & welcome to the mysteries Jap fold :p

Insurance. Obviously it's dependant on the individual. But jspec insurance isn't always much more.

My 400 bhp uk spec is only a few hundred cheaper than my 520bhp jspec single turbo.

Ignore compare the meercat etc quotes. They are useless for supras. For me anyway. I got one quote for my uk car. The only quote it gave me. And that was more than the car was worth (£9999). Sky insure me arround the 1000-1200 mark.

Double check it's a quote for a 93-2001 mkiv supra and not a mkiii. And it's a jspec. Unless you happed to buy a uk. When I called to pay for my insurance after I was given the quote I was told "and it's a uk car?" when I'd told them it was an import several times. the price didn't change though. :)

Cloth was available front and rear on facelift cars. But I think it was quite a rare option. I've only ever seen it on the cloth patern people don't like lol

Don't worry about the rear being leather (or vinyl). No body is going to be sitting back there anyway! And leather front seats are quite common to buy and dead east to fit.

I'd also be are I'll jumping into a tt from a r23 golf. They are 4x4 are they not? A tt in the wet on a crappy bit of road without good tyres will spin the wheels at 3-4000 rpm. So even easy acceleration will send you sideways. Sometimes without warning. Then add that into exiting a corner and accreting too early you either have fun... Or a big accident.

So be careful. Not that an na won't doo that too. But you have to driving like a tool in the rain :p

I'd hang arround here over the winter. It's "binned my car last night" season. Keron's (forum trader and supra breaker) favourite time of year :p

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Guest royboy820

hi, wow really nice forum and thanks ALOT for all the replies and help, to answer a few questions, yes the golf r32s are 4wd, but i want rwd and all its run/risks lol.

yes to all insurance is very surprising thats why ive taken elephant up on the offer, for a uk OR a import i stressed this alot on the phone call it was a £60 increase for the import, very strange but i live in a very low crime area. I have 3 points, sp30. and 5 years no claims and just had my onliy claim removed as its 5 years on.

like i said i was shocked to hear the price and thats why its full steam ahead on the supra dream!!

hmm not sure weather to go n/a or tt now... got to be manual without a doubt i dont like driving aut) ide love a turbo but servicing, reliability, the cost of buying a decent tt.... hmm choices lol

anyway thanks ever so much for all the help seems like im going to enjoy my time on this site. enjoy it even more once i own one haha

Guest royboy820

but how are the autos? ide never use it in heavy traffic just for fun and i only live 20 seconds away from miles and miles of back roads, i live in the suburbs. so the comfort of an auto wouldnt be a thing i would want.. ive drove a few autos, 3 series, volvo s60, c class compact, merc ml nothing with the grunt of a supra though... just personally like manuals, feel more connected to the car and more involved all the other usual stuff lol

sorry, yes your right elephant wont cover mods but i think i can survive a year without modding... i hope lol

Edited by royboy820 (see edit history)

Ive got sn auto na and as a 20 year old, i would warn you that if u are using insurance quotes from confused.com or suchlike, then phone the company with the quote you want and find out how much it really is. I was quoted £1500 online and then it was £5000 to actually take out the policy so be careful. I love the fact that im now only paying £450 a year though haha :D

but how are the autos? ide never use it in heavy traffic just for fun and i only live 20 seconds away from miles and miles of back roads, i live in the suburbs. so the comfort of an auto wouldnt be a thing i would want.. ive drove a few autos, 3 series, volvo s60, c class compact, merc ml nothing with the grunt of a supra though... just personally like manuals, feel more connected to the car and more involved all the other usual stuff lol

sorry, yes your right elephant wont cover mods but i think i can survive a year without modding... i hope lol

I may be biased and I have never owned a manual Supra - but I love the twin turbo auto. It's got a reputation for being one of the best auto boxes ever made, the kickdown is spot on every time. It does not take the fun out of driving at all, it just gives you a chance to concentrate on the road a little more rather than changing gear. The shifts are very smooth and if you have your foot to the floor it will always shift at redline.

I would love to drive the manual too, don't get me wrong, I would just personally prefer the twin turbo auto over the manual n/a :-)

Good luck with your search - my advice with regards to insurance is use Admiral (I know they are pretty much the same company as Elephant). I used them when I was 21 with my last Supra, now using them being 24. I put my wife down as a named driver and my insurance is £700 per year fully comp (no mods). With exhaust, air filter, respray etc it was only £850

Guest royboy820

thats strange elephant hammered me with the mods too my r32 hyundai coupe calibra and 206, ive used the admiral/ elephant company alot and my mums down as a named driver for........ just incases ;)

im glad youve posted fri3ndly, your points very helpful. the only real way to settle this is with a test drive of both...

does anybody know much about racetech cars uk, reason for asking is they have 2 supras im interested in?? ive dealt with ktc via a friend and after seeing the showroom/forecourt/after sales and prior to sales i think a wide berth is necessary

Personally, I'd only buy a car from another member or Jurgen

If Racetech have a couple of cars you're interested in, then go take a gander and get a test drive to see how it fits at least. There have been a lot of cowboy car traders floating about over the years, be cautious and try not to get too caught up in the moment