The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rear hatch wont open

Guest cossiedave

Guest cossiedave

shut my tail gate down today and it didnt fully shut and had lights on in the boot, i tried to open it with the key and the lever but it wont open, i have push it fully shut so the light have gone out but it still wont open ...any ideas folk and can i open it from inside the boot

That doesn't sound like fun mate. When was the last time you used the key in the rear hatch? Is it possible the lock has clogged up over months/years of not being used? Frozen? If so then give it a little blow with some WD40 or spray grease or something, heat it up if it's frozen though lol. Ease the key round a little wiggle at a time to free it off.

If not then it's going to be a job and a half I reckon.

Guest cossiedave

i use it most days with the key mate , and when you pull the lever you can here the latch but the bloody thing wont open, just wanted some ideas how to open before i attack it with a screw driver and hammer lol

my hatch didnt open on my old car, i cant remember how or why, was something to do with the lock inside the boot, and coudnt get to it from inside the car as there was a huge sound system init

all i did was drill the lock from outside then it just popped open.

Guest cossiedave

ok i will give you a laugh mate , i had a rattle comming from the rear so i cut a wiper blade into 2 inch sections and put them between the plastic bits in the boot, 1 off the rubber bits fell into the lock and when i shut the tail gate the rubber was stopping it opening lol, the rattle turned out to be the 2 blocks either side of the tail gate