The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hub bolt problems

TUNERAIDER

Hello all,

As the title says, had a flat, (2inch screw through the rear off side Tyre). Only a £10 repair so not too bad. when putting the wheel back on i had no purchase on the wheel nut, just spinning. managed to get 3 on and went to the garage the next day, (today).

Got the usual sharp intake of breath followed by the long exhale, with a slight shake of the head that any mechanic worth his salt learns early on. But for a change the problem was obvious. someone had put the wheel nuts back on using the pneumatic wrench and not tightened them by hand first.

Two of the bolts had no thread for the first inch and the thread-less part was a lot thinner than the rest of the bolt. its lucky the wheel didnt come off before, with the potholes and mountains disguised as speed bumps around my area.

Ended up ordering 5 new bolts for Thursday, looking at £130 fitted as im using Toyota for this. got plans for Friday, and i don't know if the garage that fitted the discs, breaks and all did the damage.

Truth be told it may have been like it for ages and there are a lot of suspects. New whels, calipers and other bits that involve the removal of the wheel.

So i guess the moral is. Check your nuts after visiting the garage. not all mechanics are gentle with them. :(

So i guess the moral is. Check your nuts after visiting the garage. not all mechanics are gentle with them. :(

Most mechanics I meet in these places are knuckle dragging spanner monkeys who wouldn't know finess if she sat on their face. If it doesn't go on or come off with a hammer or a impact gun they are stumped.

Always, always, always after leaving any garage for any sort of work where the wheels come off, loosen off your wheel nuts and re-tighten them yourself by hand (using a wrench of course). I cringe everytime I get a tyre fitted and watch them pick up the impact gun. Twice now I've tapped the guy about to put my wheel on using one and asked him if I could do it myself to save the studs from shearing at speed. Both times I've received a very confused look from them.

Most mechanics I meet in these places are knuckle dragging spanner monkeys who wouldn't know finess if she sat on their face. If it doesn't go on or come off with a hammer or a impact gun they are stumped.

Always, always, always after leaving any garage for any sort of work where the wheels come off, loosen off your wheel nuts and re-tighten them yourself by hand (using a wrench of course). I cringe everytime I get a tyre fitted and watch them pick up the impact gun. Twice now I've tapped the guy about to put my wheel on using one and asked him if I could do it myself to save the studs from shearing at speed. Both times I've received a very confused look from them.

I'm definitely going to be present when the wheels go back on this time. just hope it didn't effect anything else.