The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dragonball 2012 - Driving distances

Branners

Rotterdam or Beauvais  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rotterdam or Beauvais

• Rotterdam (over 600 miles in Europe)
    • Beauvais (400 miles in Europe)

So I have a hotel lined up in Rotterdam, have a route worked out from Calais to Rotterdam (via a 4mile long toll tunnel...) with a nice bit of back road driving, but I'm worried about the distances I have planned. It is around 250 miles from Calais to Rotterdam on the first day, another 130mile round trip on the Saturday and then 250 miles back to Calais on the Sunday. Total miles in Europe = 630

The other option is Beauvais just north of Paris. Around 160 miles from Calais, 130mile round trip on the Saturday (in to central Paris and back out) and another 140 miles back to Calais on the Sunday. Total miles in Europe 430.

So, only those who are actually planning on going and being completely honest with yourself about how many miles you can do over a weekend, which do you prefer, Rotterdam or Beauvais

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just the traffic (which, iirc was horrific most of the time), my fairly stock looking UK spec got so much attention that people were pulling out I front of me to take pics in a very dangerous manner, and I'm pretty sure one guy almost side swiped me (taking pics while driving)

If you look at the cars that drive around Paris, most of them have fairly bad cosmetic damage. I actually witnessed on more than one occasion people 'moving" others cars to fit into a space that didn't exist. I'll try and find some pics... (I even took a video of said parking manoeuvre :D )

The 4 mile tunnel swayed it for me on the Rotterdam run lol :D

Cheers

-Ian-

Until 2 hours ago I didnt even know that existed. I told gooogle to ignore toll roads to Rotterdam and it ignored that one. I decided to see what it was, did a streetview on it and it was pitch black with another car coming the other way. Little bit of research turned up this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Scheldt_Tunnel

and the goooogle streetview shows me this

linky linky

There's 2 tunnels on Antwerp ringroad as well ..

Ring 1 which takes you from south around the west side is a toll

Ring 2 which takes you from south around the east (Kennedy Tunnel) is free

I go through the Kennedy tunnel every week and it's speed limited to 70km/h

I'd also avoid Antwerp ringroad before 1030hrs because it's gridlocked from 0600-1030hrs every day

There's 2 tunnels on Antwerp ringroad as well ..

Ring 1 which takes you from south around the west side is a toll

Ring 2 which takes you from south around the east (Kennedy Tunnel) is free

I go through the Kennedy tunnel every week and it's speed limited to 70km/h

I'd also avoid Antwerp ringroad before 1030hrs because it's gridlocked from 0600-1030hrs every day

I plan on bringing us back via Antwerp so I will try to pick up those tunnels on the way.

I had some doubts in my mind about Holland, but I think its going to be tiptop.

yep, the date is currently set as the 18th, 19th and 20th May 2012. The location is Rotterdam (well Vlaardingen), the route is secretly hidden in the link I posted above.

Unless the poll goes massively against Rotterdam I dont see that changing or the date changing either. Only proviso on that is that we dont clash with a Dutch national holiday which would put the hotel prices up. If it does then it creeps by 1 week to the 25th May.

We need to get the Dutch members involved in this too, perhaps get some of the Nordics down as well.

I plan on bringing us back via Antwerp so I will try to pick up those tunnels on the way.

I had some doubts in my mind about Holland, but I think its going to be tiptop.

You'll need to go via Antwerp both ways from Calais

The Dutch are great people and speak English but if there's any problems just all speak like Steve Mclaren and you'll be laughing :)

You'll need to go via Antwerp both ways from Calais

The Dutch are great people and speak English but if there's any problems just all speak like Steve Mclaren and you'll be laughing :)

I plan on heading up from Ghent, and then out and along the coast up to the west of Rotterdam and then in. Any reason why I wouldnt do that route?

going direct on the motorways is boring, so we are dropping to back roads after Ghent.

yep, the date is currently set as the 18th, 19th and 20th May 2012. The location is Rotterdam (well Vlaardingen), the route is secretly hidden in the link I posted above.

Unless the poll goes massively against Rotterdam I dont see that changing or the date changing either. Only proviso on that is that we dont clash with a Dutch national holiday which would put the hotel prices up. If it does then it creeps by 1 week to the 25th May.

We need to get the Dutch members involved in this too, perhaps get some of the Nordics down as well.

awesome i need to go and do some serious brown nosing so i can get the time off :p Do not want to miss this years.

Glad to see the poll is going for Rotterdam. Still slightly worrying that only 10 people have done the poll when we are setting the initial number of spaces at 20. But I will keep going with 20 spaces and see how that pans out.

Any more thoughts or comments on Rotterdam?

I am good with Rotterdam, as mentioned Paris would be a no no for 25+ Supra's to keep together.

Though saying that if we could collaborate with the French Supra owners maybe we could organise a meet? Imagine 40+ Supra's all together? :D

i will try and rally up some scottish support for this aswell! i dont want to miss out on this and the epic tunnel run!

Sweet! Bear any chance of you guys being able to get a Ferry to Holland? As the drive down south is a very long one from Scotland!