The mkiv Supra Owners Club

anyone know anything about seatbelts lol?

ashbuster

im having a problem with my driver seatbelt not retracting back.

it works if you pull it hard, that bits fine.

but when you pull it out and plug it in it doesnt retract back to your body.

it stays loose.

hard to explain

but if i pull it around me and dont plug it in it retracts fine but asoon as its plugged in it doesnt

its asif the switch is working backwards.

also works fine when i turn the engine off

when im about to plug it in just before it clicks down i hear a click in the door where the seatbelt mechanism is and as soon as this happens it dont retract

it sounds bonkers i know but i hope ive explained it ok

hi there good question i have the same problem exactly except its the passenger side instead, i am getting it looked at on monday but yeah anyone got any ideas what could be? thanks

yeah mate will change it the only thing i was wondering is , maybe its not the seatbelt and an electical problem

if you read my first post again you will understand what i mean.

it dont work when plugged in but as soon as its unplugged and even in the same position but just not clipped in it works

also when i turn the engine off the tensioner works fine and i was under the impression its the other way around

See posts 1 and 28 here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?532699-Finally-writeup-on-how-to-fix-sagging-seat-belts./page2

Apparently "If you have a problem where your belt only tensions backup when you press the release button for belt, (obviously defeating the purpose of the belt) all you have to do is simply disconnect the ONLY wire connection going to the seat belts."

I've not tried it yet, although I have the same issue ... a quick look indicated you can get to this cable by just removing the rear speaker and bracket, and reaching through to the belt tensioner though. I've got this on my 'things to sort out" list, along with replacing the rear rusty wiper.

i tried disconnecting the wire like it said in the link but no luck

also removed it and did what it siad in the link from a previous post by tightening the tension which i expected it to fix it but it made it worse lol and i did turn it the right way because you turn it the way that makes it tighter, i did that about 6 turns which ended up all the way to the max couldnt go no more

made it worse lol

• 4 months later...

Read the thread on SF, if you have a seat belt that works properly when you unbuckle it/if you turn the car off/if you open the door but does not work properly when it is fastened... it has to be an electrical problem. If it stays loose all the time the thread tells you how to tighten it. I'll research to find what electrical item needs to be replaced rather than simply "disconnecting the wire at the shoulder belt connection."

Read the thread on SF, if you have a seat belt that works properly when you unbuckle it/if you turn the car off/if you open the door but does not work properly when it is fastened... it has to be an electrical problem. If it stays loose all the time the thread tells you how to tighten it. I'll research to find what electrical item needs to be replaced rather than simply "disconnecting the wire at the shoulder belt connection."

Seems there is a light tension and a high tension setting on the retractor. There is a solenoid that controls which circuit is active. This is what the wire on the retractor connects to. Unplugging this wire simulates the seatbelt being unbuckled and goes into high tension mode. This doesn't affect the air bag or seatbelt lock in the event of a wreck. I haven't physically seen the retractor/solenoid but I'd be willing to bet you can't replace just the solenoid. Unplugging it is the cheap fix. Replacing the whole belt (~$165) is the long term fix.